im looking into getting an epiphone for xmas..

i began deciding between:

lp ultra
lp custom

then i began to go with the lp ultra
but now im trying to decide between that and 2 hollow-body epis

the emperor and the alleykat....

i know i have to "test play" them before i buy one but
what do you guys think is better...

lp ultra
alleykat
emperor

im looking to play rage against the machine, audioslave, nirvana, guns n roses type music.
The Ultra is really suited more to blues playing and early 70's classic blues-based rock. RATM, GNR, Nirvana? It's not meant for that stuff really. Remember, the Ultra is essentually a semi-hollowbody guitar.

The Custom is your much more straight forward traditional LP sound.

Of course if you're thinking about other hollowbodies anyway, then I assume you must also play stuff which warrents a hollowbody tone, so who knows, maybe the Ultra is more suited to you overall. My pick though would be the Custom. You'll save a bit of money too with that, so you could then upgrade the stock pickups.
can it be $400?

the epiphone classic w/ quilt top is really worth a look.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I've heard really good things about the Ultra.
But I think that finish is so damned ugly. Not that it should matter though.
I got the Custom I love it.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
Is there a reason that you are just looking at Epiphones?

There are better guitars in the price range
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Both are good choices (be sure to get a good deal), Ultra will have a slightly 'airier' tone, between a semihollow and a solid - could use it for the bands listed (none are particularly hi-gain) and it could work quite well I guess, but the Custom is nearer to a straight up LP sound. Change the pickups and you've got an excellent guitar.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
The custom is just the same as the standard but with more "bling". Ultra's are great if you don't want a heavy guitar but still have a LP sound although lighter/treblier sounding. The best deal in Epi's for the money are the Classic and the standard Plain Top... they've always been all mahogany.
I personally think you would do well with the Ultra, the emperor and Alleykat/Wildkat are just too hollow to handle the gain without feeding back on rests.

Though the other night I did get to play a FANTASTIC 1970 something ES-175 for a cover of "Doesn't Remind Me" by Audioslave and House of the rising sun.... so I guess you could be alright. I went really balls to the wall with the Audioslave solo, hitting up some monster sounding double stops and oblique bends rather than doing the Morello solo I usually do. So I guess if you are willing to lower the gain a bit you won't die.
Quote by ECistheBest
can it be $400?

the epiphone classic w/ quilt top is really worth a look.

Winner. Hot ceramic pickups, great feel, and quite an eye catcher.

Plus, the Custom doesn't have a maple top.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Well from experience with Epiphone products, they like to fall apart on me.

My SG is about a year and 9 months old, and it has its problems. Input jack fell in a lot, then the input wire somehow got severed, pickup toggle switch came loose, neck won't really stay intonated and it just doesn't feel right anymore.

My Zakk Wylde Epi Les Paul isn't as big as an issue. Well, it has issues, but I'm thinking its mainly the goons who "repaired" my guitar. Shipped with cracked wood under the bridge, G string constantly going out of tune due to the nut, fret board again not intonated correctly, needs a fret level...

I don't mistreat my guitars (I.E sitting on them, throwing them, dropping them). The ZW cost around 800 so its disappointing its not staying in shape that well.

Almost feel like selling the things and getting something else : /
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
Last edited by Otnip at Oct 15, 2007,
The Customs are really nice guitars. They play nice too. The Ultras are nice as well, but some can be slightly thin sounding, and they head dive.
Quote by Otnip
Well from experience with Epiphone products, they like to fall apart on me.

My SG is about a year and 9 months old, and it has its problems. Input jack fell in a lot, then the input wire somehow got severed, pickup toggle switch came loose, neck won't really stay intonated and it just doesn't feel right anymore.

My Zakk Wylde Epi Les Paul isn't as big as an issue. Well, it has issues, but I'm thinking its mainly the goons who "repaired" my guitar. Shipped with cracked wood under the bridge, G string constantly going out of tune due to the nut, fret board again not intonated correctly, needs a fret level...

I don't mistreat my guitars (I.E sitting on them, throwing them, dropping them). The ZW cost around 800 so its disappointing its not staying in shape that well.

Almost feel like selling the things and getting something else : /

I think anybody here would've told you that the Epi ZW signature was an enormous waste of money if you had asked
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I think anybody here would've told you that the Epi ZW signature was an enormous waste of money if you had asked

Oh, cool.
My dad bought it as a surprise gift for me after he saw my eyes lit up in a guitar center playing one. Guess he tried to get the specific one from there and I wish he did because that one's neck just felt right to me. Had no idea it'd start to fall apart on me, ya know?

Not even a ZW fan, I liked it because it felt nice to play. ZW crybaby pedal just happens to suck too. Thats it, no more ZW products or epiphone products (Except maybe a valve junior at some point...)

Just take this all into consideration, TP. Think about what styles of music you like to play as well.
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
Last edited by Otnip at Oct 15, 2007,
Quote by SupremeACL
Winner. Hot ceramic pickups, great feel, and quite an eye catcher.

Plus, the Custom doesn't have a maple top.

yep. a "quilted" maple top.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Otnip
Oh, cool.
My dad bought it as a surprise gift for me after he saw my eyes lit up in a guitar center playing one. Guess he tried to get the specific one from there and I wish he did because that one's neck just felt right to me. Had no idea it'd start to fall apart on me, ya know?

Not even a ZW fan, I liked it because it felt nice to play. ZW crybaby pedal just happens to suck too. Thats it, no more ZW products or epiphone products (Except maybe a valve junior at some point...)

Just take this all into consideration, TP. Think about what styles of music you like to play as well.

Oh well that's fine then .

I wouldn't sell it if your pops gave it to you. Just fix that sucker up
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
Is there a reason that you are just looking at Epiphones?

There are better guitars in the price range

such as?

so you all are saying that an epi custom would be good for playing
audioslave
guns n roses
ratm
rocket summer
jimmy eat world
From those Epiphones, I'd say get a custom. They're beats and well worth the money. Things like Nirvana, RATM, GnR, etc will be better suited on the custom. Great sound on the customs too, especially the neck pickup's warmth.
An SG will have a slightly lighter tone with more 'bite', akin to an LP Studio. You also get slightly better high fret access with a SG than the LP, if your hands aren't that big (if you have fairly large hands though, it probably won't make any difference to you).

Generally speaking, LPs are more versitile. SGs are great at what they do, but unless you know that you need that specific SG tone, the LP is the way to go.
Im Thinking of gettin a SG-400 for x-mas...
I play Hardcore,Post Hardcore,Emo,and Punk
(Chiodos,Silverstein,TBS,AllThatRemains,)
I Was worndering if this guitar would match the sound and be the best pick for my selection of music????????????
Quote by phips
such as?

Quote by which ones pink
Lemme guess....Michael Kelly?

I really should get paid by Marketing.

Take a look at Michael Kelly Patriots. Fantasticalasmic guitars for the price.
Quote by utsapp89