Hey, I've started recording guitar, and I've encountered a problem. I used to use the Windows Recorder that comes with the PC, but I have downloaded a program called "Audio Recorder for Free" from download.com that records and makes an mp3 for me.

I've encountered a problem while using both of them. When I record a guitar track for an extended period (say, longer than 10 seconds), and I use a consistent strumming (such as punk 8th notes), the volume level will slowly decrease and the sound will slowly take on a rumbly tone.

I don't think it has to do with my recording program (at least, I think), and my strumming isn't what's causing this (except the fact that I have a continuous sound, which leads me to believe the sound programs are automatically compressing my levels). I know it's not my recording practices, it happens when I record through a microphone and directly from amp to the audio input of my computer.

Here's an example of what happens:

http://rainmustfall11.googlepages.com/Verse.mp3

Any suggestions?
Audacity sounds good for you.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

I dunno, I just tried Audacity and it still did the weird muddy compression thing. Do you think it could be my sound card or something? I'm really perplexed.
It may in fact be your sound card. Maybe update the drivers for it may help, but I'm no expert in sound cards.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
Audacitys sooooo simple for recording.
Guitars gear
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Vox AD30 Valvetronix
Zoom 707 multi effects
Quote by slash=legend
Audacitys sooooo simple for recording.

Well, duh. It's not a matter of complexity, the problem is on the other side of the screen.
Quote by pcline85
It may in fact be your sound card. Maybe update the drivers for it may help, but I'm no expert in sound cards.

yea most stock sound cards dont record well because they were not made for it.
The M-audio 2496 or Delta 44 are great cards for the price range.

as said above, try reinstalling drivers first.
Very interesting, and at risk of sounding like a tech noob, where would I check where to reinstall my drivers/what my drivers are?
i use audacity, and its fine to record one thing, but the second i record a drum machine and a bass line or put some guitar with it it all goes out of sinc, it sounds like im really lagging behind the beat when i know for a fact im not. any ideas why?
the pic theif strikes again

Member #1 of im not a member of anything, and i dont wanna be. PM me to join
Quote by mozzay
i use audacity, and its fine to record one thing, but the second i record a drum machine and a bass line or put some guitar with it it all goes out of sinc, it sounds like im really lagging behind the beat when i know for a fact im not. any ideas why?

Maybe you didn't line up the tracks perfectly, even being slightly off will sound weird. Try zooming in and looking at where your instrument volume levels spike compared to your drum hits, that should help. I use Fruity Loops to put together my songs, so the program makes it very easy to sync up the drums and the rest of the tracks.

Anyone know about checking the audio drivers?
You should have a sound manger on your task bar or in your control panel.

Anything modern has many different options, and you should perhaps check all of these.

If not, open up your volume application, and set it as directed in the only audacity thread.
Quote by mozzay

i had a similar problem before using a win98 machine. not a clue why it would occur, but after roughly 30 seconds or so, the entire thing would trainwreck.

it could have had something to do with audio buffers.. but it was all fixed when i installed XP..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.