I replaced a set of strings, and I just cant get the thing remotely in tune at all.

any tips/instructions on how I'm supposed to go about tuning the thing are welcome. I already broke one high E string trying to get the thing in tune :P

I know there are a ton of threads on this, but I need more in depth tips, as I'm not even remotely close to being in tune at all.

as for lowering action, how do you do it with a floyd. My neck is straight and I'm pretty sure I can lower it a bit, but I dont know how.

thanks in advance.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
hey, i have a flyd too,
#1 are you using the same gauge strings?
#2doyou know what the hell your doing?

ill walk you through it.

YOU MUST CHANGE THE STRINGS ONE AT A TIME! AND BUT A DECK OF CARDS OR SOME POPSICLE STICKS UNDER THE TREMOLO SO YOU DONT BRAKE THR SPRINGS

loosen the saddle, the thing that holds the strings at the bridge, unscrew the head screwy thing that keeps the string in, cut the ball of the new string stick it in the saddle and turn it around the peg, TUNE IT and lock the top again. repeat for the other string and fine tune it, then bend like a mad man and tune it again and repeat to stretch the strings.

as for action. the screw closest teh to bridge pick up will lower and raise the action, easy as that.

if propblem presists asks someone who knows something about guitars (not me)
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
if you want to restring it, do what k1ng_pooh said, except you dont really have to bend it like a madman like he says.....its just if you want the strings to keep from pre-maturely snapping on you, yet i've yet to have this happen to me (i really don't care to bend them because it never causes me problems)
set the fine tuning pegs down til its about 2mm exposed, and leave all the pegs there.
once you've got the strings in, its time for the long, tedious process of tuning.

you have to retune each string about 5-10 times, because if you only tune them all once and lock it, it goes out of tune like crazy.
since you have to tighten the nut block onto it, it drastically will change the tuning of the 2 (or 3 strings if you have a 7-string'er ) strings, thus making it difficult to fine tune with the pegs.
so retune the strings 5-10 times, then lock each one down.
after they're locked, it will be out of tune, but not by alot, so fine tune it using the pegs.

as for action, the way i saw the tech who adjusted my action do it, was with taking off the backplate where the tremolo springs are, and tightening the 2 screws EVENLY to lower the action, and loosening them to rise it.
i really wouldn't try anything yourself (with the action) unless its a guitar you wouldn't mind messing up.

p.s.
make sure you have as much of the string as possible fit STRAIGHT INTO the saddle, that way it wont break easily like your E string has while tuning.

its really simple stuff actually...i learned to re-string a locking tremolo guitar in 20minutes.
stringing it isn't my problem really, or getting spring tension correct. I figured out how to lower the action.

my problem is getting the thing in tune to begin with. I end up always wildly out of tune until someone tunes it for me.

I've heard people say things like tune them all at the same time, but what if they're not anywhere close to in tune with each other? Whenever I screw with it, it seems to just stay out of tune, or go out even worse, usually on one side, until I snap a string from overtightening.

there must be some way to tune these things that is somewhat formulaic rather than randomness hoping I'tll stay in tune.

obviously the normal method of bringing each string into tune individually doesn't work with a floyd.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by spiroth10
stringing it isn't my problem really, or getting spring tension correct. I figured out how to lower the action.

my problem is getting the thing in tune to begin with. I end up always wildly out of tune until someone tunes it for me.

I've heard people say things like tune them all at the same time, but what if they're not anywhere close to in tune with each other? Whenever I screw with it, it seems to just stay out of tune, or go out even worse, usually on one side, until I snap a string from overtightening.

there must be some way to tune these things that is somewhat formulaic rather than randomness hoping I'tll stay in tune.

obviously the normal method of bringing each string into tune individually doesn't work with a floyd.

Tune te lowest string first, then tune the next string. then go back and tune the lowest strng. then tune the next two trings and keep moving one string up and checking all the previous strings. Keep an eye on the bridge level and adjust the springs as well. It takes a while but its worth it.

For adjusting the bridge height, just turn the two posts
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

new improved floyd set up guide.

you need to start with a level bridge.
and you need to cross tune, once the bridge is level.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011