my brother wants me to teach him how to play the guitar properly. he knows some simple chords such as the E, G, Am, A, and all the basic simple stuff. he doesn't know barre chords and has a problem with shifting. anybody have tips and a list of songs that i can teach him play. and where should i start?
::type
Quote by punkrox101
my brother wants me to teach him how to play the guitar properly. he knows some simple chords such as the E, G, Am, A, and all the basic simple stuff. he doesn't know barre chords and has a problem with shifting. anybody have tips and a list of songs that i can teach him play. and where should i start?

About A Girl - Nirvana (Em G)
Good Riddance - Green Day (G C D)
I Am The Highway - Audioslave (F C G Am, I could be wrong, haven't played it in a long time.)

Very easy songs that will help with changing between chords. The last one is a little tougher, on purpose, with the F chord being a barre chord, it'll start him off on getting used to them.

Remember, take it slow. The idea is to get your fingers to remember the positions, so that when you want to play a chord, they know automatically where to go. This is achieved by repetition, and repetition is far more enjoyable when it sounds like something, so make a habit of playing songs, not practicing chords. Those three songs should be good enough to get him started. As I said, take it slow, and don't stop when you make a mistake! Strum the pattern of the song slowly, and if you have to, play the open strings in place of the chord until you can get your fingers in place. That always helped me with both timing and shifting chords.
I found it easier when I started trying to learn barr chords to make them in the middle of the neck, say an A on the 5th fret. Trying to learn F on the first takes more finger strength.

As for song Ideas..... look at some Eagles stuff pretty easy strumming on most of it so its easier to concentrate on left hand finger position. "Take it easy" is four easy chords as an example.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
The song that really helped me with my open chords was "Crazy Game of Poker" by O.A.R. The progression is a simple C-G-Am-F and it reapeats throughout the song. It's also a good song to learn barre chords too, if you'd rather teach him that first.
-------

"So if 'con' is the opposite of 'pro', then isn't 'congress' the opposite of 'progress'?"
- John Stewart, Daily Show
easiest song ever. Brain Stew: all power chords and good practice at shifting.