Hey guys.

I own a red fender American Deluxe HSS Mahogany strat, and I'm finding that my tone, and the playability and action--especially on the upper frets, just aren't up to the snuff I'd expect for a 1000 dollar fender. I'm sure I'm not being clear enough on the problems I'm having, but if someone could point me in the way to getting some help, I'd like to get this thing playing like it should.
Have you had it set up? Maybe your action is too high/low? old strings? Guage your not used to on the strings?
Explain the fret thing a bit more, what exactly do you mean?

What sound were you looking for?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
the scn pickups are horrible, switch them out with custom shot 69's or 54's
Quote by Hakanku
Have you had it set up? Maybe your action is too high/low? old strings? Guage your not used to on the strings?

I had it set up by a friend a few months ago...that made a difference, but I was still experiencing bends going out on the upper (12-13+) frets. The strings are a bit old, and I'll change them tommorow, see if that makes a difference, but like I said, I was experiencing those problems as soon as it was set up, and given new strings.

Explain the fret thing a bit more, what exactly do you mean?

What sound were you looking for?

Like I said above, I'm getting bends go out very often on the upper strings, or awful tone on double stops and the like.

Could you elaborate on these, I'm not too up on pickups.

Thanks guys
Quote by Hookedonfonix
Could you elaborate on these, I'm not too up on pickups.

Thanks guys
You have this, right? If so, it doesn't have SCN pickups(nothing wrong them anyway, IMO).
Playability and such should be smooth as butter on a high end Fender, so it would probably be worth taking it back if you're not happy with it. As for the tone, what amp are you using? A large portion of your tone is coming from your amp and a bad quality amp just won't do a Fender justice.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Playability and such should be smooth as butter on a high end Fender, so it would probably be worth taking it back if you're not happy with it. As for the tone, what amp are you using? A large portion of your tone is coming from your amp and a bad quality amp just won't do a Fender justice.

I'm using some piece of crap solid state ever since my half stack went down, so I'm sure that's a portion of it....but when I play a squier strat through the same set up, I get some very nice bright tones....maybe it's the difference in the wood?
If double stops sound "off," your intonation may need to be adjusted. What's the radius of the neck? One of the problem with lower radius necks is that they tend to do exactly that - "bottom out" during bends. Not to say that there isn't some other problem, of course. You may have a fret that needs to be leveled/filed.
Hi, I'm Peter
If the neck radius is low its the note choking, its pretty hard to get the note to not choke with a bend.

Also it wont sound bright at all because its a mahogony strat, not alder (sometimes ash) which is what alot of the American/Strats strats have (which is a LOT of the 'strat' tone, bright, reasonable attack etc)
The first thing I did when I got my lefty Am Dlx from the factory was pay to have a PRO setup performed. The second thing I did was to replace the anemic SCN's with a set of Fender '57/62's' along with replacing the wiring harness with an HTM custom harness. Oh so nice!!!

If, after having your Am Dlx setup properly, it does not play well (non-amplified), return it for a new one.

Good luck!
The Poodle Bites,
The Poodle Chews It.
C'mon Frenchie!