I'm getting a lot of hum from my Ibanez RG guitar. It's just about unplayable. Here's the thing: when I put pressure on the tone pot with my fingers, the hum stops. If I put pressure on it with an inanimate object like a pair of pliers, nothing happens and the hum continues.

What could be the problem??

PS - tremol-no's are a pain!
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
it seems like u have a groundloop or something on ur knob. let me ask. is it a chrome (metal) knob? if so, u don't have it grounded. does it have hum when u touch ur strings? if not, it's a quick fix (well, it is for me). u need to ground the body of the pot, if it's already there, then u have a groud loop somewhere. gotta find that.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Sounds like regular old hum, when you put your finger on the tone pot, its grounding you and doesn't pickup any interference.

If it doesn't happen when you're touching the bridge/strings you should check your bridge ground wire.
Yeah it's a metal pot. I'll check when I get home if the hum stops when I touch the strings. Thanks guys.

Any tips on finding the ground wire for the pot? Does it need to be replaced or re-soldered?
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Your best bet it to just download the wiring diag. for your guitar, if you don't know it that is. You could have a ground loop as stated above, but it could just be regular ground noise, in which case you could silence it a little with better insulation in the cavities. Sometimes this hum can come from a pot that just needs replacing, so yes, resolder joints, check there's no loop, replace if needs be, and invest in some thick copper shielding...

- Rich