I strongly believe James Hetfield used to have the best metal voice and then there was st. anger, but in his time he was the best. Keeping in mind there is Bruce Dickinson and the singer from megadeth.
well who does have the best metal voice?
add others to my rather small list..
enjoy
Metallica is god, you're a boring sod!
Devin Townsend. The man puts real emotion behind his words.

edit: Strapping Young Lad and The Devin Townsend Band
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Last edited by Mongochromat at Oct 15, 2007,
gotta hand it up to devin townsend. keep in mind si listen to all sorts of metal, this is one of the only guys i've heard that can do clean vocals as well as he can do his screams. lots of versatility in his cords for sure. hell he even sang on one of steve vais' album

edit for the TS:

Devin townsend is in Strapping young lad and surprisingly... the devin townsend band.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I agree, James Hetfield is awesome, but also David Draiman from Disturbed has a really good voice, specifically on Ten Thousand Fists album.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Hetfield IS the most recognised voice and definately the best voice in metal. But if you are talkin' bout "metalness", I'd say Phil Anselmo.
Quote by MonsterOfRock
So cool to bash St. Anger isn't it? It's 2007 mate. St. Anger was 4 years ago, let it go...

yeah i was actually only mentioning it but if your goin ta be a faggot then go suck a fat one
Metallica is god, you're a boring sod!
Phil Anselmo from Pantera and Down. He has a wide vocal range and can change between bass and falseto notes with ease. He can scream, sing, growl and just kick ass in general
Quote by Kensai
You're a sick uncompassionate tool who puts the deaths of animals with subaverage cognitive functions above your own kind.

You're perfect for PETA. Just set fire to a house and you're in.
Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth, he has a hypnotizing singing voice and you can actually understand what he's saying while grunting death metal style. Plus he puts emotion in everything he sings. Him or Devin.
I love Robb Flynn's voice! (Machine Head) Damn impressive!
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
"let it go"... what part of that did you not get? Its just irrelevant. And hey, your the one who mentioned "faggot", "suck" and "a fat one", so if anyone here needs counseling, its you mate XD
Hetfield. Has the widest range. Look at all the albums Metallica has put out, and look at what he can do with his voice. Even after blowing out his voice during Stone Cold Crazy, look what he did with S&M, beautiful vocals.
Mikael Akerfeldt (opeth)
Russel Allen (Symphony X)

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Bullet For My Valentine lead singer Matt Tuck.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
The Dev delivers like no other. His voice on Room 429 is probably my favorite vocal performance ever.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by MonsterOfRock
Hetfield IS the most recognised voice and definately the best voice in metal. But if you are talkin' bout "metalness", I'd say Phil Anselmo.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Anyway, I can't decide between Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford and Hansi Kursch.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by dead-fish
The Dev delivers like no other. His voice on Room 429 is probably my favorite vocal performance ever.

I cream my pants whenever he sings "I WARNED YOU!" in Home Nucleonics.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Tim "Ripper" Owens [Judas Priest; Iced Earth] hands down. That man has the voice of a god.
Kim Bendix Petersen [King Diamond; Mercyful Fate] as well, huge range of vocals.
Hetfield is pretty good, but his range isn't really that wide if you really listen...

edit: Oh, and I know that their voices aren't that great, but Chris Barnes and Corpsegrinder have awesome voices.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Mongochromat
I cream my pants whenever he sings "I WARNED YOU!" in Home Nucleonics.

The third time is the best, when he sings the "you" in this absurdly high voice.

City in general is full of brilliant moments vocal-wise.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Phil anselmo and Dave Mustaine for me.
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.