Hi,

I have been practising my guitar for about 1 year now. Its acoustic guitar. Well, I have been quite satisfied with how my skills improved. I can change the chord from C-F-G-Am pretty fast.

Recently, I learned the "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. Well, its not a chord but more towards the fingerpicking (is it the right terms? Sorry, not so familiar with the guitar language) -> http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/e/eric_clapton/tears_in_heaven_tab.htm

Well, all good except one. When I move from one chord to another chord, I think that I did not lift my fingers completely, in order to make it quick and it creates a sound. Hmm....sorry for my bad English....For example, if you move A-B, you know that you just need to switch it from 2nd fret to 4th fret with 1st fret are covered. Your 3rd, 4th and 5th left fingers do not need to change, you just "move" them. However, I think that my these 3 fingers are not jumping out perfectly and still touching the string and caused the sound. Does anyone understand what I am trying to say here?

Is this normal or wrong? Should all our fingers jumped out completely?

Thanks and apologized for my bad English.
David
This characteristic sound, of fingers sliding on strings, is one of the main reason why people choose acoustic guitar.
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Last edited by browar at Oct 15, 2007,
Ah, thats the sentence that I am looking for -> "fingers sliding on strings".

So is it a good thing or bad thing?
Quote by dvdavid2001
Ah, thats the sentence that I am looking for -> "fingers sliding on strings".

So is it a good thing or bad thing?

Depends mate. Does it sound good? Ifso, use it to make the song your own. It is VERY normal.
For me, that sounds perfectly fine. Its such a relief to know that it is a very normal behavior . Anyway, anyone please feel free to add any comment.

Thanks
David