I'm just after suggestions for Pups, as I'm finding it hard to tell the difference on the sound clips.

I have a great neck pickup, really warm and thick, but the bridge pickup isn't nice. It's a bit too muddy for me.

I'm going to invest in a Fender Strat for lighter rock to metal, and want the LP to be hard rock/metal.

Coheed & Cambria/Metallica/Disturbed etc.

I currently use a DSL 401, but I'm going to sell it for something with higher gain and that's less than 40watts.

I've been suggested a Warthog from Swineshead before, but I'm still not convinced it will reach high gain levels.

Cheers.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by Chex
I currently use a DSL 401, but I'm going to sell it for something with higher gain and that's less than 40watts.

Higher gain, but less watts? Good luck..

Anyway, the Warthog should do what you want..

But keep this in mind, it's mostly the amp, bot the pickups, that will give you the tone you're looking for. There are bands that use vintage output pickups to get their "high gain" br00tal tones.
Dimarzio Super Distortion, great pickup for a tube amp
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by forsaknazrael
Higher gain, but less watts? Good luck..

Anyway, the Warthog should do what you want..

But keep this in mind, it's mostly the amp, bot the pickups, that will give you the tone you're looking for. There are bands that use vintage output pickups to get their "high gain" br00tal tones.

Yeah but I've tried my Epi with a few amps and I still don't like the bridge pickup.

Surely I don't have to have deafening levels of wattage to get an amp that can produce hard rock/metal tones?

I know whatever amp I get I'll want a new pickup, so whilst I'm waiting to get paid I'll get the pickup done At least it'll be easier finding an amp, knowing that I already have a good enough pickup rather than the crap I have in it now.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

^ i agree... cornford is the obvious one that springs to mind, but even it's more hard rock than metal. and not exactly cheap.

the warthog will do high gain, as long as your amp can do high gain. if modern high gain is all you want, might be better to look into a venom.

a bareknuckle miracle man would probably be pretty sweet too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i agree... cornford is the obvious one that springs to mind, but even it's more hard rock than metal. and not exactly cheap.

the warthog will do high gain, as long as your amp can do high gain. if modern high gain is all you want, might be better to look into a venom.

a bareknuckle miracle man would probably be pretty sweet too.

Modern and old. Just wanna be able to make those pinch harmonics squeel

I can on my current pickups, it just doesn't sound crisp enough. For example, when playing both the 12th fret on the E and B strings it sounds muddy. I want it to sound more crisp. It’s hard to put sounds into words!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

A Warthog will be perfect in the bridge, but if you can't tell the differences between the sound clips then you don't really need new pickups. There's every likelihood that you won't be able to hear the difference when they're in your guitar either. Pickups don't make a massive difference, certainly not as much as a different amp or even a pedal. It takes time for your ears to become discerning enough to hear the subtle differences between pickups, and in all honesty the three high-output Swinesheads are all wildly different.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ +1

and yeah, sounds like a warthog to me. To be honest, the warthog isn't mega-hot at all. just for some reason gets lumped in with the high output ones. I mean, my JB is (from memory as I'm lazy and haven't rewired in my swinesheads) much hotter than my warthog; ditto my miracle man. I'd say (again on memory) that the warthog is somewhere around paf pro level of distortion? possibly a little hotter than a paf pro, but i don't think it's as hot as a tone zone.

EDIT: the warthog has pretty good harmonics too. just best check with jon @ swineshead to make sure it'll not be too dark or muddy in a LP. it's nice and warm in a basswood, bolt-on maple neck RG, but might be too much in a mahogany set neck, 24.75" scale LP.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry, when I said I couldn't tell the difference it was mainly sites such as DiMarzio + Seymour Duncan.

I can easily tell the difference between the Venom/Warthog and whatever the last one was!

I just want to be convinced that the Warthog can give me the gain I need.

Think Coheed & Cambria - Welcome Home...
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

^ yeah, i know what you mean about the duncan ones.

should do that C&C song ok, but it does depend on your amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, i know what you mean about the duncan ones.

should do that C&C song ok, but it does depend on your amp.

Well I'll be getting a new one of those. My DSL401 isn't for me. Not enough gain!

Wierd you said PAF Pro. I'm gonna put one of those in a Strat for rock. Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi) had one in his strat.

So if a Warthog is along the same lines as a PAF Pro, then maybe I need something higher output?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

i think it's a little hotter than a paf pro. I'm going on memory, and even then it wasn't like I a/b'ed them. I'd say, yeah, the warthog is probably more of a hard rock than metal pickup, but you seemed to want versatility?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, to be honest, I want to get the versatility out of my Strat. Richie Sambora tones and also Iron Maiden. I'll stick a hotrail in the bridge maybe.

So thinking about it I can keep the Epiphone for metal. Maybe it's best I just stick some EMG's in there?

I really need to start thinking about an Amp that can bring the best out of these guitars too.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

yeah- to be honest your best bet is to concentrate on the amp first, and then get pickups to fine tune your tone.

bareknuckle or bulldog would be worth a look when you do get round to looking at pickups... something like a miracle man (it's versatile enough to do hard rock; it is more of an 80's-voiced pickup though), painkiller, ceramic warpig (though you'd need to check with BKP to see if any of those is suitable) might be worth a look ...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers Dave - helpful as usual!

I'll check out BKP then.

Well I'm gonna sell my amp then use the funds to look for a new one.

Lookout for millions of threads on "what amp to get" now ^^
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?