I am looking for a decently cheap guitar that won't absolutely suck =]
up to about $400 USD or less (for the guitar) for a friend who wants to start out some electric. [They are a beginner and have an acoustic but want to play on an electric]

I know most squier strats are bad but was looking at some squier telecasters and the ones I looked at weren't that bad. but I was wondering the difference between the different types of squier telecasters? I know there is affinity series / bullet series ?

or should I be looking at something completely different?

They don't play anything that requires heavy distortion, mainly cleans.
Squiers are decent.
You could do better with an epiphone as a beginner guitar though.

If you want a really good deal, then get agile guitars. Its online only but you get really really really good deals for the money.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I'd say a Yamaha Pacifica, without hesitation. You can pick up a 112 for under $200 now,so you might be able to get a half-decent practice amp with the change!

The quality control on Squiers isn't great, but if you're lucky it's possible to find one that plays really nicely. Epis aren't bad at all, but if you're mainly after clean tones they won't sound as good as a singlecoil-equipped guitar.
I had a standard squire tele and had no issues with quality.My nephew has an affinity squire tele...honestly its a complete peice of junk. You get what you pay for I payed about $250 he paid about $100 for his. They played completely different. Mine played real nice. Teles have really slim necks. As far as the reply about the epiphone, the neck seams really wide on them to me. Ibanez has a few guitars in your range and they make decent stuff.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Why stick with Squire? There is the Fender Standard Stratocaster for about $400. It's not my kind of guitar, but I know what they are good for, and I've playd lots of them. And they are VERY good for what they're for (of course).
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
A guitar that in my opinion is better than Standard Strat is the Hagstrom F-300. The necks are verrrrrryy comfortable, the electronics and pickups are solid, and all of the ones that I've played have been well built and lively. *And* it's cheaper than a standard strat.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i would by the epipohne les paul player pack its $200 and you get the amp with it
Player packs suck.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.