Fender Stratocaster American Vintage Series

1954, 1957, 1959 re-issues

Cost: About US$1,300 to US$1,500.

Is it worth the price?
What's the difference between these and say, a US$700 Epiphone Les Paul Standard AND compare with a Fender Standard Stratocaster, and Fat Strat.

I know that Fenders are apparently "brighter" sounding as compared to "mellow" LPs, but what better specs do the Strats above have (or other Strats for that matter) that justifies it's price?

It's something like, "I pay double the price for ___________???"

*****Comparison between a MIJ strat and a MIA strat?
Last edited by paulefty at Oct 16, 2007,
Um, they are completely different guitars? They are both suited towards different types of music, they both have different pros and cons, theres not a whole lot of crossover, also why compare an epiphone with an american strat? It makes no sense

You pay double for a better instrument, made by american workers, with the fender logo, good craftsmanship, better hardware, better resale value and the fact that you are buying it brand new.

Its up to you to figure out if its worth it, some people say yes, some will say no.
Diezel, Motherfucker
IMO, what justifies it's price is the really acquired sound.

Compared to the "Epiphone Les Paul Standard", the sound is obviously brighter.
Most of the price goes to the original "Fender" sound that you won't find in other guitars which sport the "Stratocaster" shape and single-coil pickups.

In addition to the raw materials that are used on the guitar such a maple fretboard, I'd say the feel of the guitar itself is part of the thousand dollar value.

The guitar neck shape isn't really suited for everybody, it feel a bit bigger than the standards nowadays.

I'm not exactly a "guitar connoisseur", so the above thousand price seems kinda steep.
Quote by mh400nt
...... different guitars? They are both suited towards different types of music, they.....

yes that i understand.

Quote by mh400nt
......music, they both have different pros and cons, theres.....

someone please elaborate?

Quote by mh400nt
...... cons, theres not a whole lot of crossover, also why compare an epiphone with an american ......

crossover meaning...?
My opinion is the "vintage" series are overpriced. They didn't have to redesign anything, didn't have to get new equipment to manufacture it, they only had to pull out the drawings on the older guitars and make them again, the word "vintage" increases the price several hundred dollars...same reason I won't buy Marshall amps, at least new ones, I'm not paying twice the price for that white Marshall logo.

I'd find a less expensive guitar I like and get it. One that plays and sounds good to me. If I want a vintage guitar I want a true 60's strat, not a copy of one. Since they're incredibly expensive, unless I stumble on one grandma is selling at a garage sale like my 1966 Harmony, I'll never have one...But I can't see paying several hundred dollars extra because the word "vintage" is attached to it...Standard American Strat starts at around $900-950, Vintage 57 for $1600. No brainer, I'll take the plain jane strat and play a few till I find one that suits me.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
My opinion is the "vintage" series are overpriced...... ......... .......... .......But I can't see paying several hundred dollars extra because the word "vintage" is attached to it...Standard American Strat starts at around $900-950, Vintage 57 for $1600. No brainer, I'll take the plain jane strat and play a few till I find one that suits me.

Hmmm. I guess so. But comparing the vintage ones & the standard strats, what's the difference?
Does "vintage" make it sound better at all? In terms of specs like fret width, etc, is there any much difference?
I'm not sure what the differences are in specs, I haven't looked up the details, btu I know Fender has made various changes in neck shape, width, thickness and radius over the years. Playing them, same as with any guitar, any three side by side will play and sound different, you have to shop around and find the one you like, no matter what the make and model are.

My avatar picture is my korean Squier Strat, it originally had a plain white pickguard, I swapped it for the one pictured, that's the only change I've made and I haven't played an American (or japanese or mexican) strat that will match it yet...I've played a few that played as good or better but didn't sound as good, some that sounded great but didn't play as well. I traded it for a Epiphone strat copy that cost $200 used. That thing wouldn't stay in tune if you looked at the whammy bar, horrible design in that headstock...but my cheap korean squier plays and sounds as good as every American strat I've picked up since the day I got it.

The technical specs may be different but the price tag mainly reflects the "specialty" mentality involved in marketing. For example, natural or organic foods are becoming more popular. Anything you find labeled natural or organic costs a lot more, why? Cancer causing chemicals and preservatives are NOT added, that's cheaper to produce...I use tomato sauce and tomato paste for making pizza sauce and chili, the "no salt added" variety is more expensive. (I don't use salt) They don't have to add another ingredient - cheaper. They don't have to pay someone to put that ingredient in - cheaper, yet it costs more...

Can you say "marketing gimmick"????

Same as one preamp tube in hybrid amps, nothing but a marketing gimmick. Tube sound is more related to power tubes than preamp tubes by far. I have two amps that are SS preamp, tube power amp, they sound great while the hybrids with one preamp tube still sound like SS amps, maybe a tiny bit better...That's a marketing gimmick just to get more money out of the uninformed. As far as I can tell that's the only reason for the higher prices of the "vintage reissue" series, both guitars and amps. Fender already has the blueprints, they already make tube amps, they already make signature strats with the different neck shapes, (Clapton model especially, used the 50's deep vee neck) where is the extra production cost to justify that extra $500 or more? The only place I can see is the word "Vintage"...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
............. ............... .............. ..........extra production cost to justify that extra $500 or more? The only place I can see is the word "Vintage"...

Very true. Thanks a lot.
Actually I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty). & I follow Frusciante a lot, together with funk-rock music. So I am considering a change to Fender's Strats.

Besides a brighter sound & a different "feel" to the guitar, what makes a Strat more suited for that styles or music? I can't seem to find any other aspects.
Quote by paulefty
Very true. Thanks a lot.
Actually I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty). & I follow Frusciante a lot, together with funk-rock music. So I am considering a change to Fender's Strats.

Besides a brighter sound & a different "feel" to the guitar, what makes a Strat more suited for that styles or music? I can't seem to find any other aspects.

What more do you want?

Like you said yourself, they sound different and they feel different. I guess an another advantage would be that they're lighter, so gigging with one won't give you a hernia.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by paulefty
Very true. Thanks a lot.

Wow, u change guitars faster than i can
Quote by FenderStRaT RS
Wow, u change guitars faster than i can

Actually I have considered both, and I got my LP off SL (you're from s'pore u shd know) and I dont buy many guitars, mine are all long term & i wouldnt want to regret having one I dont love for a long time.

Do you know the rough prices of Fender Strats (standards & americans) in here in s'pore, & where they sell 'em at those prices?
thanks for your help
Quote by paulefty
Actually I have considered both, and I got my LP off SL (you're from s'pore u shd know) and I dont buy many guitars, mine are all long term & i wouldnt want to regret having one I dont love for a long time.

Do you know the rough prices of Fender Strats (standards & americans) in here in s'pore, & where they sell 'em at those prices?
thanks for your help

MIM-around 1000SGD-sweelee
MIA-Around 2000SGD-sweelee
MIJ-Around 1500SGD(i believe)

MIJs can be found in guitar 77 of penisular

I saw a yngwie malmsteen strat in guitar connection and a Eric Clapton strat in Guitar 77, both are cherry red
Quote by FenderStRaT RS
MIM-around 1000SGD-sweelee
MIA-Around 2000SGD-sweelee
MIJ-Around 1500SGD(i believe)

MIJs can be found in guitar 77 of penisular

I saw a yngwie malmsteen strat in guitar connection and a Eric Clapton strat in Guitar 77, both are cherry red

thanks. I'll probably check 'em out early Nov.
Now having my O's >.<

So, the diff between MIJs and MIAs?
MIJs=Made in Japan
MIA=Made in america

MIAs usually have better electronics but sometimes the japanese models are better,so its actually down to taste in sound
Not really,esp if its a second hand model, check the serial number on the fender website
Quote by FenderStRaT RS
Not really,esp if its a second hand model, check the serial number on the fender website

Oh then if i'm at some shop trying out the gutars there, I cant check where's it's made in on the spot?