Hey all I wonder if you could help me, lol, im in a band (been playing 3.5 years) im a capable player as I spent pretty much 3 solid years practicing "shred" locked away in a room, and dispite the fact the I wanted to be a shredder (to begin with) I do have a good ear for guitar music!. My problem is the other guitarist in my band has been playing 8 years and happens to be a very talented player, he doesn't do any typical scale runs, legato or crazy phrases and seems to play pretty much all pentatonic/blues scale he always seems to have the edge over my playing though due to his use of ultra fast repeating blues/rock licks.. these always sound better than mine becasue we play rock and most of MY speed comes from a 3 note per string approach using a 7 note scale and when playing fast rock pentatonic sounds so much better to my ear, tho I dont know many cool penatonic/bluesy lick's..

Sooo.. can anyone recomend any real good songs to learn with these kind of speedy repeating licks/solo's in. Btw im not on a quest to outplay the other guitarist in my band!, I just want to be equally as good y'know..
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Sounds like you need to be playing some "Texas Flood" and Freebirdin' it. I say SRV.

Edit: And don't forget, a lot of the good metal is taken from Blues riffs. So it's never bad to dig into another type of music. Better yet, learn some new stuff like Vai and Satch, that way you'll be pushing in some other feelings into the band.
Maybe some AC/DC, Angus does lots of solos based on those things. Then of course there is Freebird...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Eminored
Sounds like you need to be playing some "Texas Flood" and Freebirdin' it. I say SRV.

Edit: And don't forget, a lot of the good metal is taken from Blues riffs. So it's never bad to dig into another type of music. Better yet, learn some new stuff like Vai and Satch, that way you'll be pushing in some other feelings into the band.

Cheers man, I think your right about the SRV n that I will get Guitar pro tabs for those songs.. as for the Vai n Satch I got that style okay lol, but those kind things just wouldnt fit with the style of music of the band. thanks for your help dude
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Here are some songs,

In my darkest hour - Megadeth (The first solo is a great example of fast pentatonic solos)
Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC
TNT - AC/DC
Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin
Communication Breakdown - Led Zeppelin
Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix (Check out his live stuff, it's great)
Freebird is definatly your best bet here, the live extened version, about 13 minutes long and a good 6/7 minute solo of pentatonic ideas.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Metallica and Pantera have fast pentatonic licks. Dimebag's licks in particular could get quite bluesy.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
For starters, check out anything by:

Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Albert, Freddie and BB King
Billy Gibbons
Jimmy Page
Slash
Otis Rush
Dave Gilmour
George Thorogood
Satch/Vai (and anyone who's ever appeared with G3!)
Jeff Beck
Frank Zappa
Robin Trower
Eric Johnson
Richie Blackmore
Eddie Van Halen
Gary Moore
Robben Ford
Joe Bonamassa

There, they should keep you going for at least a couple of days...
Although its gonna be hard im gonna go with free bird first, listened to he song and its exactly the kinda stuff I need to be working on/am talking about. I just find it so frustrating working on things like this I find these uber fast pentatonic rock idea's are real so its gonna take a while lol! things like surfing with the alien are easy compared to freebird! (for me)

Thanks for all your help guys!
Quote by Count Seanula
Quote by synth002
Although its gonna be hard im gonna go with free bird first, listened to he song and its exactly the kinda stuff I need to be working on/am talking about. I just find it so frustrating working on things like this I find these uber fast pentatonic rock idea's are real so its gonna take a while lol! things like surfing with the alien are easy compared to freebird! (for me)

Thanks for all your help guys!

They basically stick to 2 scale postions in the entire solo, it's not that hard, just long!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Freebird is a godsend for guitarists, it's actually pretty straightforward but sounds really impressive. Gary Moore is an aboslute must if you want to combine blues with shreddy stuff, as is John Sykes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you gotta listen to some johnny winter, he approaches the blues like it metal. Just imagine an albino on stage screamin get it! get it! on stage every 10 seconds on stage while shredding over a blues progression and you have successfully imagined johnny winter. Seriously though, look him up.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
I think you discovered that pentatonics aren't all that easy to pick fast! With
the usual boxes being 2 notes per string, you have to be REALLY good at cross
string picking.

A lot of what makes someone like Hendrix sound fast using pentatonics is the
coordination of picking with hammer ons and pulloffs -- it's not so much pure
picking speed. That's one approach you can take.

Another one is to use Gambale-style 3 note per string pentatonic fingerings. If
you search I did a writeup a while back on them. Basically it allows you to economy
pick a pentatonic scale in order up & down the scale. It can be very fast, but the
left hand fingering is not for the faint of heart.

You can also try Wolf Marshal's 101 Blues Licks, 101 Rock licks, 101 Jazz licks
(each a book). Basically they are lots of short, 2-4 measure ave, defining licks
for each genre.
HAHA u got ur ass kicked by a bluesman, 1 up for the good guys! yeah i play blues, my last lead guitarist was a metal head and it was a lot of the same thing, he was fast but he had no phrasing or a well placed rest or drawn out bend into a fast descent down the scale, i know what ur talking bout man... i learned blues by playing along with Led Zeppelin and ACDC primarily, i learned the riffs and added my own improv over all the solos trying to imitate Pagey and Angus' socery, thats one way to get good, keep in mind its not about theory, playing like that, its about manipulating ur guitar, giving the song atmosphere and what not... gl
you gotta listen to some johnny winter,

Johnny Winter is not a guitar player...he's a friggin' MONSTER guitar player...and he does all that with a thumbpick and fingerpicking with the fingers, half the time with a slide bar hanging on his pinkie...Only people I can think of that came close were Roy Buchannon and Rory Gallagher, both unfortunately no longer with us. And both definitely worth a listen. I checked in a DVD I watched not long ago, I couldn't see any effects in Johnny's setup either, just guitar and amp. I've been listening to him over 30 years and never get tired of Johnny or his brother Edgar.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Carcass - This is Your Life

It has some really sick pentatonic ideas, and is also fairly shreddy to keep you entertained.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Paul Gilbert
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Why not ask the other guy in your band for a few pointers and to share some of his licks? There's no better way to learn than from another capable musician and while I understand yo want to bring your own stuff to the table, there's no shame in taking a couple of licks from him and twisting them into your own playing style
Quote by -=Led_Hed=-
keep in mind its not about theory, playing like that, its about manipulating ur guitar, giving the song atmosphere and what not... gl

Tell me, what do you think theory is? 'Cause the idea of it is to help you manipulate the music without the whole trial and error proccess...
As for the threadstarter, rather than just learning a whole song, why not just learn loads of different blues licks and how to apply them? From that your own ideas will spawn.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Make sure to look into B.B. King and David Gilmour. Both of these guys do play slow, for the most part, but their phrasing is some of the best in the world, and it will help you to say what you want to better in your own playing.

Dickey Betts and Duane Allman are two other great blues guitarists who can rip it when needed.

Chuck Berry and Keith Richards are some other greats. Very simple catchy good 'ole american rock 'n roll haha
Quote by -=Led_Hed=-
HAHA u got ur ass kicked by a bluesman, 1 up for the good guys! yeah i play blues, my last lead guitarist was a metal head and it was a lot of the same thing, he was fast but he had no phrasing or a well placed rest or drawn out bend into a fast descent down the scale, i know what ur talking bout man... i learned blues by playing along with Led Zeppelin and ACDC primarily, i learned the riffs and added my own improv over all the solos trying to imitate Pagey and Angus' socery, thats one way to get good, keep in mind its not about theory, playing like that, its about manipulating ur guitar, giving the song atmosphere and what not... gl

Let's dispel a myth here....there is no such thing as a "feel player", it's complete bollocks. Of course some people seem to be able to play with more feeling than others, but the "feel player" doesn't exist. Only one thing matters with guitar and that's whether it sounds right, knowing theory simply means you already know what's going to sound right. A good playing instinct comes from having a good knowledge of the guitar, knowing which frets make which sounds and which sounds go well together...and that's what theory does.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Let's dispel a myth here....there is no such thing as a "feel player", it's complete bollocks. Of course some people seem to be able to play with more feeling than others, but the "feel player" doesn't exist. Only one thing matters with guitar and that's whether it sounds right, knowing theory simply means you already know what's going to sound right. A good playing instinct comes from having a good knowledge of the guitar, knowing which frets make which sounds and which sounds go well together...and that's what theory does.

Define "feel player"
Hey all thanks for the replies, still working on free bird although the ideas some are pertty fast and challenging.. Having said that it could be the guitar pro tab im using for it... learning freebird is now part of my practice routine one ive learnt it I will most definatly be moving onto gary moore, although I don't really listen to him I love his playing!

Thanks for ALL the suggestions I will be working through them..

chris.
Quote by Count Seanula