Poll: Can humblebees fly becuase of their anotomy ?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can humblebees fly becuase of their anotomy ?
Yes,their anotomy is perfect for flying
21 34%
No,its just that they dont know that they can fly
10 16%
No
6 10%
Yes
25 40%
Voters: 62.
Page 1 of 2
Yep so you probably heard the talk about whether bbumblebees are phisycaly supposed to be able to fly or not.
So what do you think ?

IMO they might be able to do it just because they "know" they can.

Like for example hardcore meditators can lift up from the ground if they manage to control the brain as neceseray, so i guess the bumblebees just arent aware that they cant fly.

Flight
According to 20th century folklore, the laws of aerodynamics prove that the bumblebee should be incapable of flight, as it does not have the capacity (in terms of wing size or beat per second) to achieve flight with the degree of wing loading necessary. Not being aware of scientists 'proving' it cannot fly, the bumblebee succeeds under "the power of its own arrogance".[19] The origin of this myth has been difficult to pin down with any certainty. John McMasters recounted an anecdote about an unnamed Swiss aerodynamicist at a dinner party who performed some rough calculations and concluded, presumably in jest, that according to the equations, bumblebees cannot fly. In later years McMasters has backed away from this origin, suggesting that there could be multiple sources, and that the earliest he has found was a reference in the 1934 French book Le vol des insectes by M. Magnan. Magnan is reported to have written that he and a Mr. Saint-Lague had applied the equations of air resistance to insects and found that their flight was impossible, but that "One shouldn't be surprised that the results of the calculations don't square with reality".

It is believed that the calculations which purported to show that bumblebees cannot fly are based upon a simplified linear treatment of oscillating aerofoils. The method assumes small amplitude oscillations without flow separation. This ignores the effect of dynamic stall, an airflow separation inducing a large vortex above the wing, which briefly produces several times the lift of the aerofoil in regular flight. More sophisticated aerodynamic analysis shows that the bumblebee can fly because its wings encounter dynamic stall in every oscillation cycle.
Last edited by Evil_Magician at Oct 15, 2007,
uhh yes they can fly, the whole thing about thier flight violating the laws of physics is bullshit.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Their called bumblebees.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
I'm pretty sure bumblebees aren't self aware...so it's unlikely they "know" they can or can't do anything. In other words...they aren't capable of the complex thought required to will oneself into flight (if that's possible at all).
What the hell is a humblebee?
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I'm pretty bumblebees can fly. Either that or wasps like to dress up alot.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Its the same principle as how helicopters aren't able to fly, but they still do
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Sorry....bumblebees.

It even says in the Wikipedia quote, how is it that you wrote 'humbelbee' twice?
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by Child In Time
Sorry....bumblebees.

It even says in the Wikipedia quote, how is it that you wrote 'humbelbee' twice?

I count three times. But it's fairly obvious that they can fly. Unless Kensai is right and they're just wasps in drag.
It just proves that mathematics and scientific equations are not the answer to the universe. If our science truly dictates that bumblebees can not fly, then our science is wrong, because anyone can observe that they do fly.

However I'm not satisfied with that article, it makes it sound like a myth. I want real research done or cited.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Wow, humblebee.

I'd assume that bees can physically fly because, well, I've seen them. Unless it's all some clever ploy on their part.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Yea they can fly, I've seen it with my own two eyes.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
Bumblebees fly, therefore they can.

Does this really necessitate a scientific discussion? What the hell are you gonna do about it? If you prove that they can't fly, will they all, like, drop to the ground?

I find it hard to believe that some people have less life than me.

EDIT: note the hidden pun: the threadstarter said humblebees and the wiki article says they fly using "the power of its own arrogance"

OMG IRONY
Last edited by sashki at Oct 15, 2007,
wow so they cant fly huh? strange how i just saw one flying outside??
Quote by sashki

Does this really necessitate a scientific discussion? What the hell are you gonna do about it? If you prove that they can't fly, will they all, like, drop to the ground?

EDIT: note the hidden pun: the threadstarter said humblebees and the wiki article says they fly using "the power of its own arrogance"

OMG IRONY

i c wut tey did thar
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Malakian88
Humblebees can't fly. That's because humblebees don't exist.

+1000000000000
GAS List:
Nothing
Nothing that flies breaks the laws of aerodynamics.
So good to see you once again.
I thought that you were hiding.
And you thought that I had run away.
Chasing the tail of dogma.
I opened my eye and there we were .
what about superman? technically he shouldn't be able to fly. damn those Kryptonians.
GAS List:
Nothing
By the laws of physics they should not be able to fly, but they can, lol.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
hardcore meditators? You show me a hardcore meditator that can levitate from the ground and I will give you the true power of flight my son
It is believed that the calculations which purported to show that bumblebees cannot fly are based upon a simplified linear treatment of oscillating aerofoils. The method assumes small amplitude oscillations without flow separation. This ignores the effect of dynamic stall, an airflow separation inducing a large vortex above the wing, which briefly produces several times the lift of the aerofoil in regular flight. More sophisticated aerodynamic analysis shows that the bumblebee can fly because its wings encounter dynamic stall in every oscillation cycle.

Quote by Schneiderman
It just proves that mathematics and scientific equations are not the answer to the universe. If our science truly dictates that bumblebees can not fly, then our science is wrong, because anyone can observe that they do fly.

However I'm not satisfied with that article, it makes it sound like a myth. I want real research done or cited.

Quote by sashki

Quote by Adz2706
wow so they cant fly huh? strange how i just saw one flying outside??

no1 lieky read threadz?
Meditators actually can't float.

They can make it seem like that to themselves. For example, they'll be in such a relaxed or focused state of mind that they can picture themselves rising above the ground.
Quote by Archaon
Meditators actually can't float.

They can make it seem like that to themselves. For example, they'll be in such a relaxed or focused state of mind that they can picture themselves rising above the ground.

"With meditation, there's no limit to what we can......imagine."
Back when Aerodynamics was a relatively new topic of study, someone scientist thought it would be entertaining to apply the primitive mathimatical/engineering models used for airplanes to the bumblebee. He found that based on that model, only about half the required lift could be generated. He discussed this with some friends, and eventually somehow it spread to the media, which perpetuated the myth.

The fact is, that the flight of a bumblebee is far too complicated to be described by the same model that they used for airplanes back in the 1930's. An airplane has rigid wings and a propeller, whereas a bumblebee's wings are flexible, textured, and move in a very complex motion. Modern Aerodynamics can, however explain the flight of a bumblebee.

In short, yeah, they can fly.
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Quote by Schneiderman

Um actually if you'd read it, it proves that it CAN so long as it is advanced enough
Based on simplified equations anything can be deemed possible/impossible, but as said, when the more advanced things are taken into account (i.e the vortex above the wing or whatever it said, can't remember, I glanced that bit) it shows the true possiblity of it happening/not happening

EDIT
Quote by Kensai
I'm pretty bumblebees can fly. Either that or wasps like to dress up alot.

You're a pretty bumblebee is it Kensai
Quote by pyrochris
In short, yeah, they can fly.

Wow. Bumblebees fly. You learn something every day I suppose.

But seriously, good info. (If its right.)
Quote by denizenz
"With meditation, there's no limit to what we can......imagine."

Although I doubt the ability to float, our minds are capable of extraordinary feats. For example, rejecting illnesses/diseases, increasing the physical aptitude of the body to overcome grave situations, stuff like that.
Wow. I leave for whatever lenght and this is what I come back to. Forshame. FOR SHAME!

But no they don't fly around me. Mostly because I swat the ****ers down with the paper, irritating ****s.
Yeah, don't you guys know that's how Jimi was so revolutionary?

He fell and bumped his head in the Military, which altered his conscious, making him believe the guitar was an extension of his arm. He stopped believing this after a few experiments with wanking, though.

*shudders*

The strings!
Quote by Archaon

Although I doubt the ability to float, our minds are capable of extraordinary feats. For example, rejecting illnesses/diseases, increasing the physical aptitude of the body to overcome grave situations, stuff like that.

I do believe that the mind is capable of extraordinary things. It changes blood flow in our bodies when we are injured or experience infection...it can block out entire periods of time or even purposely misrepresent our senses in order to protect us. However, I don't believe that the mind can alter matter or any of our physical or natural laws.
Humblebees can fly because they don't care about the rest of us.
Cybershark of the Maximals Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!
1. If an action is performed, it is physically possible
2. Bumblebee flies
3. Flight is physically possible

Wow!
4 strings good, 6 strings bad.
like next time i see a bee i'll tell iyt that it can't fly and see if it drops to the floor

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Page 1 of 2