Been recommended by a v. trustworthy source that a good idea to get top sound out of my bass would be to, instead of a

300 watt combo = cost a lot, problem of halved power

to get a:

15" 160-ish combo as my 'sub' (Peavey or something)

and to bi-amp with a small 6/8" guitar or bass practice for tweater

does anyone else have similar set up so I can get some tips on whether or not to do it

It either this or a Laney RB8 or somesuch...its all about the $$$ and sound tho....
Don't use a guitar amp for bass at all. Your idea will probably work if you get a small bass combo and use it with the larger bass combo, but then you will have a problem matching the outputs. A small bass combo will start to clip alot sooner. Check into some Carvin bass combos that have built in tweeters, some are biamped. May come out cheaper or at the very least have a much better sound.
bad idea using a 6-8" guitar amp, unless you don't care one way or the other about it. You will toast the speaker, guitar speakers aren't designed to handle the low frequencies a bass puts out, especially a little 6-8". I think you're better off putting the money into one nice bass amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
yeah, did kinda discount guitar practice, but been looking at specifically peavey 8" and they have speaker outs at 8 ohms and a large combo will have matching resitance wont it?

edit 1: Damn you Erok, my buddy would cream himself if he saw your rig, SWEET!
Yeah the speakers in guitar amps can't handle the excursion for bass frequencies.

If you already have one on hand though, you might be able to just replace the speaker with one meant for bass and use it.
Quote by EvilWeevil
edit 1: Damn you Erok, my buddy would cream himself if he saw your rig, SWEET!

haha, thanks man, it's a lot of fun.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids