Ok, I've been playing guitar about four years now, and I'd rate myself as an advanced-intermediate guitar player. I'm still playing on a Fender FM212R, which is pretty much just a box that makes noise. So yeah, it's time for a new amp.

I play in a three piece band that's just starting to gig, so I need something that's loud, strong, and has good lead, rhythm, AND clean capabilities. I do not play metal, so there's no real need for a buttload of distortion. The bands that I play the most stuff from would probably be Rush and Jane's Addiction, but I play a lot of jazz too. You can check out my profile to hear some of my original music, which is mainly what the amp is being used for.

Basically, I need a really good all-around amp that's at least a 2X12, somewhere in the price range of $500-$1000 or so.

The ones that I've been looking at are as follows:

Fender Stage 1600
My friend has a 1000, and it seems to be pretty good. It has a lot of pretty decent effects, it's built well, and it sounds pretty good. Not my first choice, but it seems like a pretty good all-around sound machine, and it's pretty cheap too.

Marshall AVT150 half stack or AVT275
I know that so many people hate this amp, but I really don't see why. I've played it, and it definitely seemed fine to me. It definitely has everything that I need. I'd say that it's my first choice right now. But if some of you seriously insist that it's THAT bad, then I might change my mind. I'll probably buy it used if I end up buying it.

Fender Cyber Twin SE
There's a used one for sale at my local guitar store that's $850. This amp is pretty serious, but I don't know if I'm comfortable with having an amp that relies so much on digital technology. The thought of having to use a bunch of presets scares me a little bit. That aside, this thing sounds amazing, and the used price is a steal.

Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
This is kind of up there (like $1600), but it seems like a pretty amazing amp. I've never played one, but have any of you? From all the demos and stuff that I've seen, it seems like it's just what I need. I've been looking around, and I can find it used for about $900. Do you think it's worth the extra dough?

So that's what I've been considering. Which of these do you think would suit me the best? Are there any other suggestions? And before you all shout it at me, no, I don't have any interest in a Mesa-Boogie, heh.

Thanks a lot for your help, and for your time. Sorry this was kind of long.
a billion times yes to the switchblade. no no NO to the rest
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i would recommend a Traynor Blue with a overdrive pedal. There amazingly versatile amps that have great cleans and good distortion. Also, DO NOT BUY A SOLID STATE MARSHALL and DO NOT BUY A HALFSTACK you do not need one, trust me. But a Traynor would be nice and it would leave you a few hundred to spend on a great pedal, or two!
Out of those, I would say yes to the marshall, simply because I am not a big fan of ANY of those other amp companies, and if you have problems with your fender why get another? I hate always recomending this, But I would say look into peaveys, For about 500 dollars you can get an all tube 212 peavey. Peaveys have killer distortions and very nice cleans. So it's almost the best of both worlds.
+1 to Traynor Blue, allthough i'm really interested about the switchblade, would like to try one out.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
I quite like the Switchblade... saw a 100 watt combo in a shop somewhere. I was surprised by how it sounded with the digital effects, though I felt it wasn't really for the more heavy styles of music. I wouldn't recommend the solid states though... if you got some money to spend, go tube definitely.
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Quote by Pg.inc_music
Out of those, I would say yes to the marshall, simply because I am not a big fan of ANY of those other amp companies, and if you have problems with your fender why get another? I hate always recomending this, But I would say look into peaveys, For about 500 dollars you can get an all tube 212 peavey. Peaveys have killer distortions and very nice cleans. So it's almost the best of both worlds.

I would strongly advice against the Peavey Valveking. My friend has one and IMO it is the worst tube amp that I have ever heard. But hey, maybe you'd like it

I think that the switchblade looks like a pretty sweet amp, but the DIGITAL effects that they have on it kinda makes me think its a little less tube than you think
guy said go for the marshall just go hang yourself. you can't judge an amp by it's brand. the avt is one of the worst amps around in the price level
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i would recommend any of the amps you listed, because around that price margin there are amps 10x better, infact you should stay away from the listed amps (maybe not the switchblade)

the switch blade apparently has a TON of reliability problems, which is NOT good if you plan on playing live (channel switching and stuff), and for its versatility you sacrifice tone.

cyber twin is a digital amp, IMHO its not real tone (digital crap), so try to avoid that

Marshall AVT150 the tubes in it are just a gimmick, you might as well buy a nice analog solidstate, it will probably sound better the an AVT

for good lead and rhythm and amazing cleans i would have to say the Mesa f-50

heres a 261 page thread of people who love the f-50 you should get plenty of info there (i mean if theres a thread this long dedicated to the f 50 its gotta be good)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885856

i own and f-50 and the cleans are amazing (lots of head room) and the distortions are well rounded and versatile you can do blues type gain to metal
its simple straight forward and sounds great

the Mesa Lone Star is also AMAZING but really expensive, it has really beautiful cleans and just enough distortion

if you got a bit more cash, i hear that the fender supersonic is a great amp, its go vibrolux and bassman voicings, and it can do high gain marshall type stuff really good

check out some tube amps from fender ie hot rod deluxe, deveille, reverb etc. they have good cleans
I make $10 an hour, I work 40 hours a week, and I don't have to pay rent. So yeah, money, isn't really that much of a problem, it's just the time that it would take to save up for it.

Thanks for all your help so far. I think you've steered me away from the Marshall, and I'm leaning more now towards the Swtichblade. I'll look into the other amps you mentioned as well.
So I think that I've narrowed my main choice to being between the H&K Matrix 100 half stack and the Switchblade 100 combo. The Matrix looks pretty awesome, and it has almost all of the features of the Switchblade, except that it's a solid state. It just seems to be a dumbed down version of the Switchblade, and it's literally half the price. The only bad things that I've heard about it is that it sometimes sounds "cheap," and that it sounds a little thin at high volumes. Other than that, all other reviews have been glowing.
But is it worth all the waiting for the Switchblade? I have to have a new amp by December 27th (my band has a pretty big gig that day), and I figure that I can put away $300 every two weeks (starting next Friday) towards an amp, whichever one that may be. Frankly, I don't think I'll be able to afford the Switchblade by then, unless I buy it used. I know that this seems a little short-sighted, but I really need an amp soon, so I think I may have to buy a Switchblade used.

So...

Used Switchblade, or new Matrix?
By the way, the Matrix 100 Half stack is around $800, and the Switchblade 100 is about $1600, but I've seen it used for about $900.

Thank you all so much for your help...
I would advise trying a Valveking (enough people like it you have nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time) and a few other amps before making a decision. Used is always the better value. You have enough money to go tube so why settle for solid state?
If you can go used look for a Mesa Rectoverb or an Orange Rocker 30. If not, check out a vox AC-30, Various Traynor Models, and maybe a Peavey Valveking or Crate Palomino. I wouldn't recommend any of the amps you listed really.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
traynor ycv or kustom coupe if you ask me.

I'm not much a fan of the switchblade...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i totally think you should buy the first edition fender cyber twin i have for sale, hardly used has great tone and tons of balls, i have it for sale on ebay right now,( it's the only one on there) listed at U.S 600.00, don't fear the digital man, you don't have to utilize it as a digital amp, just manually turn the knobs, anyways, good luck on your amp search bud.
My Gear

Epiphone les paul 100

Marshall valvestate 8080
Dude, this thread is well over a year old *reported*
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not