Ok, I have to give a 10 minute speech in front of my university class on thursday about philosophical questions and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few ideas. A couple I have thought of are abortion and genetic engineering as these are easily argued both for and against. The problem with these, however, is that they are popular subjects, and therefore many of my classmates will choose tham, and I want mine to be origonal, and one that will stand out. Any ideas???
Thanks for any help.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
Give a speech on David Hume's problem of induction because we are talking about it in another thread, and because it practically states that the scientific method is not robust enough to ever reach absolute truth.

Also from it you can talk about the "tree in the woods" problem because if you don't actually witness the tree you can never really be sure that it makes a sound when no one is around.
Quote by _Mayday_
Talk about John Locke and how he suddenly could walk.

hahaha win!
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
Quote by denizenz
Give a speech on David Hume's problem of induction because we are talking about it in another thread, and because it practically states that the scientific method is not robust enough to ever reach absolute truth.

+1.

Maybe something on the nature of infinity too? I find that pretty fascinating once you really begin to think about it too.
Quote by burningcowsrule
+1.

Maybe something on the nature of infinity too? I find that pretty fascinating once you really begin to think about it too.

I don't find the nature of something infinite fascinating in terms of the concept of the never-ending, as we witness this (or close enough) in our day-to-day lives, however I find it impossible to comprehend that there must be something in the Universe without a start, whether simply matter/anti-matter or God, depending on your belief system.

(Do this as your topic...)
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT