I'm looking to buy a new guitar. I currently play a Fender Strat. I want to get a good mid price range guitar for playing heavier stuff. I've narrowed it to an Epiphone Les Paul Custom or a Paul Reed Smith SE Custom. Please advise.

Thanks
i'd probably go with the PRS, i think its better quality lhtough there isnt much in it, but the prs look so much better imo, better stock pups too
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
the prs would have a similar feel to your strat compared to the LP. what kind of music do you play?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
^ PRS neck is a chunky mofo
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ PRS neck is a chunky mofo

true, but compared to the LP it's not as bad IMO. plus the body style and feel might be more comfortable to someone used to a fender.

in the end though threadstarter, you should buy what plays the best for you
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
PRS, no doubt (having played both and owning the LP, I can say the PRS is better).
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
In the end it's up to you, but I would personally grab the PRS. Epi's are nice for the price, but you just can't beat a PRS. Even an SE model. They are just plain excellent. If only I could find one with a Floyd...
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
i'd take a gibson over prs.

but since it's p.o.s. epi, go with the prs.
B - MAN

My Main Rig:
☺1998 Gibson Les Paul Studio DC
☺Reverend Rocco(USA)
☺Martin DM
☺Peavey ValveKing 112
☺Dunlop Tortex(1.35Mm) Picks
☺Everly Rockers - .10guage.
☺Martin - .11guage.
☺Too many effects to list.
PRS but have a look at the Tremonti SE, theyre great, a les paul shape, but IMO better quality than epiphones.
There's a guy here who traded his Gibson LP Custom for a PRS Singlecut. He seemed pretty pleased with the change. Cant remember who though. Try the search button, he had a review on the differences between the two guitars.
KsE

You know they rock.
Yeah, demea did. He seem's really pleased with his new PRS Singlecut (with trem, but remember you can also get it without it). My old teacher also did a similar change some years ago: he traded a Gibson LP Custom for a PRS Custom 22 (it was me who finally made him decide for the trade! lol), and he's never stopped thanking me for that.
Really, I've played almost every single guitar that has come to my local shop on the last years, and none of them felt, looked or sounded as good as any of the PRS (in the same price range, of course).
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by de.sandman
There's a guy here who traded his Gibson LP Custom for a PRS Singlecut. He seemed pretty pleased with the change. Cant remember who though. Try the search button, he had a review on the differences between the two guitars.

Yup. He was pretty damn pleased with his new PRS.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Yeah man. Love my Singlecut. Not that I didnt love the Les Paul Custom, I just wish I could afford to own both.
The singlecut IS the $2K version and the Les Paul WAS an 87 Gibson, but I guess this would be relative to the SE and Epi comparison.
I do have a PRS Santana SE in green with SD Jazz -neck and Screamin Demon -bridge and love it (which prompted me to trade for the Singlecut).
If I havent played either - I might be biased towards the Gibson, though. Nothing like a well worn in Custom in tobacco burst.
Quote by demea
Nothing like a well worn in Custom in tobacco burst.

Which you can then trade for a much newer PRS.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Which you can then trade for a much newer PRS.

Very true. The Gibson did sound and play very good, though.
Quote by shredhead22
true, but compared to the LP it's not as bad IMO.
Actually Epiphone necks are pretty slim. You're think of the ye olde traditionale Gibson LP neck (aka the 50's neck) which is pretty thick. Epi guitars all have a pretty slim neck that's closer to the 60's profile, and only a touch thicker than the necks found on most Fenders and Kramers. Of course it's nothing like the ultra thin Ibanez necks, but they are not fat anyway.
I've been trying a number of Gibson LPs & clones lately. I know I'm "supposed" to like them, but I haven't cultivated the taste for them. (I play a fat strat clone)

Since LPs sound kind of muddy to my ears, it could be a) my crappy technique; and/or b) maybe I should use a higher-gauge string to make up for the shorter scale length.

I do, however, really like the tone and feel of the PRS SEs ... they've got the rockin' growl, but without the muddiness I dislike in the LPs.