I know there are a lot of techniques that are pretty much genre specific. I made this about my question, but it can be open to anyone...

I know everyone wants to be a well rounded musician, and play a wide variety of genres and etc. But like...
I don't play metal much, I barely even dabble in it. The heaviest I go is like Sabbath. I was wondering how important it was to learn stuff like sweep picking and pinch harmonics with that in mind...

Also, what are some other genre specific techniques. Not that they can't be used in any genre, just that they are predominant in certain genres.

Thanks.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Learning a wide variety of music is certainly handy but not necessarily important. You get people who are pretty exclusive to one type e.g. Stevie Ray Vaughan was all blues. I cant really think of any techniques specific to one type of music, youve already mentioned sweep picking and pinch harmonics which are predominantly metal but not exclusive to it. Jazz uses sweeping patterns and pinch harmonics are used everywhere. Tapping is also up there in the shredder type list but again can be used in so many ways.
well metal isn't the only genre that sweep picking is used in haha
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Yeah, like I said, it's not specifically metal, but it is predominately metal.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
If you only go as heavy as Sabbath, then you don't need to learn sweep picking imo. People may be a bit put off if you randomly did some in a Paranoid-type-song solo. However, it is an interesting technique just to have in your repertoire, so if you're interested in learning it you may like it and start to play music that does incorporate it.
back to what i've said a million times before. its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. now you might not use sweeping in a blues song. but say you write a blues song one day and say to yourself "wow a swept E7add9 would sound really good there" but you can't cuz you never learned how.
Quote by z4twenny
E7add9 would sound really good there" but you can't cuz you never learned how.

***E9***
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I know there are a lot of techniques that are pretty much genre specific. I made this about my question, but it can be open to anyone...

I know everyone wants to be a well rounded musician, and play a wide variety of genres and etc. But like...
I don't play metal much, I barely even dabble in it. The heaviest I go is like Sabbath. I was wondering how important it was to learn stuff like sweep picking and pinch harmonics with that in mind...

Also, what are some other genre specific techniques. Not that they can't be used in any genre, just that they are predominant in certain genres.

Thanks.

Its as important as you think it is.

Does the fact that Tony Iommi doesnt sweep pick, make you like Sabbath any less?

Learn the stuff that you like. There is no reason to learn every technique that exists, just becuase it exists. your better off following your inspiration, and encountering each technique that way.
Learn all the techniques you can. What kind of music do you usually play?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Learn all the techniques you can. What kind of music do you usually play?

Mostly alternative/inde, the full spectrum of rock, punk, blues...minor country.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Learn the techniques that you need.
It's foolish to learn something if you don't listen the music with that technique in it.

And none of techniques are really only in one genre, I saw sweeping and tapping (Stanley Jordan) used in jazz, and even Modest Mouse use pinch harmonics in Dramamine!
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.