Page 1 of 2
so latley ive been running into alot of really exerienced bass players around my city, and every time i say i have a stingray there all like OMG YOU HAVE A STINGRAY!!! YOUR ONLY 17 YOU SHOUDLENT HAVE A STINGRAY YET!!

i jsut think thats bull ive been playing for 2 years, i think that should marret for what bass i should have not how old i am.
its really bugging me.

lol i just thought i would share

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Age shouldnt matter. Its how you wield your instrument that should. Crappy musicians with great gear always piss the experienced musicians off, and great musicians with crappy gear is always a tragic sight
If you're spelling the way you do at your age, maybe they're right...
Just kidding, really. Just kidding.

Seriously though, who cares what they say. To me, as long as you're not just some wanna-be musician who's doing it to look cool or whatever and will probably just quit playing, then I see nothing wrong with getting a good instrument--even if you're "young." But there are also exceptions to what I'm saying haha.
Quote by burndttoast
If you're spelling the way you do at your age, maybe they're right...

I was going to say the same thing. =/

If you ask me, you're lucky to have a nice bass that young. My family has always been pretty tight financially, which is one reason why I've been using an SX and a Silvertone for a while. Now I'm finally starting to rake in some cash and I might be able to buy something decent.
I've seen kids who aren't even old enough to drive jamming like crazy, so age has nothing to do with it. All about experience and talent.
Last edited by dutch5367 at Oct 15, 2007,
Quote by insideac
Age shouldnt matter. Its how you wield your instrument that should. Crappy musicians with great gear always piss the experienced musicians off, and great musicians with crappy gear is always a tragic sight

I think burndttoast got it right, but you're close.

Quote by burndttoast
Seriously though, who cares what they say. To me, as long as you're not just some wanna-be musician who's doing it to look cool or whatever and will probably just quit playing, then I see nothing wrong with getting a good instrument--even if you're "young."

I mean, I'm no expert, but I have the will to practice and stuff, so I believe I'm deserving of my gear. Also I'm knowledgeable in theory, and I dont just play a few crappy riffs, I always want to learn full songs.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
dude that is really gay
im 14 and im getting a fender jazz bass when i get enough money (already got $1000, pm me if you wanna give me some moneys )
but it really shouldnt matter to them, unless your a noob, then its like noob with expensive stuff, and you automatically lose respect
but dont listen to what they say
they're just jelous!
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
I'm 16 and own a pro setup, Fender MIA Precision through an Ashdown ABM half stack, I've often wondered if I actually deserve the gear that I've got and came to the conclusion that yeah, I think I do because I worked hard with my playing and the Precision was a christmas and birthday present (was all I got, but I'm in no way complaining, it's the greatest thing I've ever owned), and went out and got a job to save up for the amp and didn't want to compromise and get a lower quality amp when I had the money for that one.

It's your choice on what instrument you play, don't let anyone else tell you which instrument you should have, you could find someone who's been playing 20 years and is still on their beginner yamaha, or you could find someone who started a week ago and owns a Ric, it's your bass, if you like it then that's what matters.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Last edited by indie-bassist at Oct 15, 2007,
Woah, you're 17 AND a native speaker? No offense, but I always assumed you were like 13 or 14 or something like that

On topic: if you can afford a stingray at the age of 17, then good for you. What gear you use is your business and your business alone. They're all just jealous
Quote by Lendorav
Woah, you're 17 AND a native speaker? No offense, but I always assumed you were like 13 or 14 or something like that

whats a native speaker?

Quote by Off-The-Heazay
they're just jelous!

haha, the last guy to say it has a 78 rickenbacker 4001, a stingray 5, a fretless stingray, and 2 jazz basses and a P bass, AND he has one of those wierd electric stand up basses thats jsut the neck and an input jack on a stand its really wierd

i dont htink he is too jelous haha

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

I'm 17 and I think it depends on this....
did your parents buy it or did you?
because I have a $500 bass and a $1800 rig and I bought it all... i worked my ass of for that s**t. Then i went to a gig and the band before me the kid had an SVT4 head with the 410SVT cab and a Stingray and his parents had bought it AND HE SUCKED!!!
so there is my 2 cents..
Quote by Lendorav

whats a native speaker?

Quote by Off-The-Heazay
they're just jelous!

haha, the last guy to say it has a 78 rickenbacker 4001, a stingray 5, a fretless stingray, and 2 jazz basses and a P bass, AND he has one of those wierd electric stand up basses thats jsut the neck and an input jack on a stand its really wierd

Quote by fake_sk8r182
As long as you have the talent to back it up, then I see no problem with owning high-end gear.

+1....But I know a 15 year old with the same bass...That irritates me.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Narcotics
whats a native speaker?

The first language you learn to speak is your native language. I assumed your first language was English (they speak mostly English in Canada, right?) and therefor were a native speaker.

Quote by Narcotics

Yeah but I don't believe he had a Stingray when he was 17
^^^ he had the Rickenbacker when he was 14

I think it goes to an extent. I think that as long as you're dedicated, the BASS itself shouldn't have a limit on it. Personally, I own a $350 bass... I've had it for maybe 7 months now. By Christmas time, I plan on owning a Standard Corvette since I like the tone and all around feel better. But I think when someone sucks and has like four expensive basses, some thing is wrong.

I just think that your first bass should be something you'll love to play and will keep for awhile (which is where I made the mistake with my bass) and as long as you're dedicated, I don't see why you should put a price tag on it. I think the amp is a different story though.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
old farts always rag on the young'ns. no offense intended, i'm sure. it's just part of
"payin your dues". we didn't have the internet to learn about such things as a pro bass set-up. we learned by listening to our clueless friends, and playing crap equipt.
until we were old enough to start going to clubs and concerts to see what the big dogs played. i say take it as a compliment, as it was probably intended.
^^^lol thanks.... your about as old as both of the guys who said it... i was wondering what you had to say :p

It's not your rig and set-up that counts, it's what you do with it. I've been playing 5 years and still use a £230 5 string bass. As long as you feel comfortable with it. My fiver's my baby, I know it better than the back of my hand, I know what nuances it likes, what overtones it just doesn't want to hand over...

However, I disagree with people who get f*cking expensive basses as their first bass... damn Suzi Quattro...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's not your rig and set-up that counts, it's what you do with it. I've been playing 5 years and still use a £230 5 string bass. As long as you feel comfortable with it. My fiver's my baby, I know it better than the back of my hand, I know what nuances it likes, what overtones it just doesn't want to hand over...

However, I disagree with people who get f*cking expensive basses as their first bass... damn Suzi Quattro...

yea i agree with that like i would understand if it was my first bass but for the 2 years before her i played some $150 bass....( i just put like $335 into)

who cares, ignore them, my friend is 14 and he has a gibson les paul classic gold ($2200) (yea its a guitar)
Led Zeppelin
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's not your rig and set-up that counts, it's what you do with it.

Exactly. I think it would be nice for everyone to have a decent bass at 17, but having a decent bass isn't that important. I know a few bassists who have have equal or better chops than I do, and they play lower end basses than I do. In one case, a Squier!

I do think there's a slight amount of jealousy. I was playing my Squier when I was 17, and I can sort of understand where this is coming from. But they'll get over it and forget all about it. It's nice to have great gear, but not the most important thing in the world. Now if you were playing world tours and supporting famous bands at 17, that would different!
I got my Bongo when I was 16... I don't see anything wrong with it. Just because everyone around me were playing BCR Warlocks and knockoff fenders they didn't mind because I let them have a go with my bass.
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
I totally disagree with the age thing. Though sometimes it can be ****ing irritating. Like I saw a 11 year old on a Warwick Double buck. (He could jam but still) I think it's more about your ability, dedication, and want for playing bass.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Quote by pucci6d6
dude that is really gay
im 14 and im getting a fender jazz bass when i get enough money (already got $1000, pm me if you wanna give me some moneys )
but it really shouldnt matter to them, unless your a noob, then its like noob with expensive stuff, and you automatically lose respect
but dont listen to what they say

what's gay about it? was the guy who commented making out with him when he was talking to him?

In my book, "that's gay" is the most ignorant, and idiotic thing anyone can say, think before you post, unless you can come up with a valid reason as to why this situation is "gay"
Even so, 17 isnt a young age anyway.

It WOULD be kinda dumb to see like.....a 9year old with a stingray, unless he ws like amazing or something..
It's just old people being old. It's the same exact thing as "I didn't have any fancy pokeeman when I was a kid. Alls I had was a rock and a stick." Or "When I went to school we didn't have no fancy school bus. We had to walk in minus 40 weather two miles to school, uphill. BOTH WAYS!" Just ignore them. Although sometimes they have interesting insight into the world most of the time they're just pedalling crock.
basically, i go by the rule that if u can afford to pay for it yourself, you most likely have the skill and the experiance to play a high end instrument. I always find the motivation to become a much more skilled musician is evident where your the one having to fork out the cash for your bass.
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by Zar938
what's gay about it? was the guy who commented making out with him when he was talking to him?

In my book, "that's gay" is the most ignorant, and idiotic thing anyone can say, think before you post, unless you can come up with a valid reason as to why this situation is "gay"

Dude... That post was totally gay...
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Quote by Zar938

no homo
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
somethings never change. the quality of the instrument you play, has no bearing on your ability to use it. we play what we have, and try to get better. having a less than wealthy household will not keep you from being a great bass player. it just means you'll probably appreciate it more, when you do get a good bass. besides, all of you will oneday be old, if your lucky. and i, for one, will never forget being young, and how it felt. because in this world, you either get older, or you don't. i look foward to everyday above dirt.

Quote by Geekis_Khan
Dude... That post was totally gay...

i soooo wanted to say that!!! LMAO!!
no offense intended! lol
Quote by insideac

i think that the gear is only as good as the musician makes it play.
I know a guy whos been playing bass for like 30 years. hes amazing. he has a yamaha bass and a old shot GK amp, but he still funks better than ne1 i know.
See, I have a take on this situation and it's a little different than what others are saying. A young player having great gear doesn't really bother me (oh ho ho listen to my 21 year old ass talk like an old man), but I hate it when people have great gear or are great players but know nothing about their gear. This, to me, includes noobs who don't know anything about their $3000 setup, or Jaco (the real Jaco) reincarnate who thinks a $100 SX bass is "all they need."

I have a lot of amazing guitar player friends who simply don't know anything about gear. They say "well, I'm not a gearhead", but their lack of knowledge just doesn't make sense. They run their Epiphones through their 100W tube stacks, turn down 'the mids' and say "SICK!" Arg. This is very analoguous to using a Big Muff on bass.

But then, like with the situation of the threadstarter, that a player doesn't really know what their instrument does. They can play their $3000 setups, but don't know the first thing about them. Perfect example (flame shield applied)? Watch Geddy Lee's tour of his rig on Bass Player TV. He's so clueless about his Jaco Tribute sig it's scary. He's one helluva player and nobody's going to take that from him, but his overall lack of knowledge about gear at all (sanding down his necks? Umm, warping?) really surprised me, especially with his rather interesting choice of live setup. I can't help but think if Geddy isn't told to use a piece of gear by his tech, then he kinda stumbles upon them (i.e. his Fender Jazz). Maybe most of this is a shock because I had the wrong idea about him, but I really thought Geddy knew more about his gear than he did.

Anyway, to conclude, I don't really think about someone not being good enough for a certain bass. I do, however, think about someone not being smart enough to play a certain bass. This is especially true given (like 83lps said) the vast amount of info on the internet, and, the ability to learn from true veteran generals such as 83lps, John Swift, etc.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^ That was a good post, and I agree with you for the most part. I wish I knew more about gear and all that good stuff. But on the other hand, I probably have the most technical knowledge of anyone in my band, and my guitarist always asks me how to fix whatever problem he has, and I always have the answer. So maybe I should just study more.

Yet, alas. My studying shall have to focus on Physics and European History for now.

Someone should write a “_______ of the Month” explaining a lot of the technical and mechanical stuff. I put the blank in because it wouldn’t really fall under theory or technique.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Quote by Geekis_Khan
^
Someone should write a “_______ of the Month” explaining a lot of the technical and mechanical stuff. I put the blank in because it wouldn’t really fall under theory or technique.

THAT IS A DAMN GOOD IDEA!
that would be stickied and everything..... there would be alot less what do i do my head blew up threads :p

Yes, fitz yes. That pisses me off so much. When the band teacher brought in a GK RB-4. I said "Wow, that's stupid, GK has such a modern sound, that and the 2x10 in there really isn't going to apply itself well to jazz." (I said this to the fellow bass player) The other guy said "Whoa, shut up about all the gear crap." It's such a simple thing and yet it's still over his head. That bugs me. At least learn a little bit about the gear you're going to use.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yes, fitz yes. That pisses me off so much. When the band teacher brought in a GK RB-4. I said "Wow, that's stupid, GK has such a modern sound, that and the 2x10 in there really isn't going to apply itself well to jazz." (I said this to the fellow bass player) The other guy said "Whoa, shut up about all the gear crap." It's such a simple thing and yet it's still over his head. That bugs me. At least learn a little bit about the gear you're going to use.

did you slap him and take his bass away?

Page 1 of 2