I currently own an Ibanez GRX20 guitar.. it's a beginner guitar with a bolt-on neck (which I hate for playing leads) so I wanted to upgrade to something better.

I was looking at a ESP LTD EX-400 guitar since I like the explorer body style, it has an EMG80 and EMG60 pickup, which is perfect for me because I would like to use the 60 for cleans and the 80 for distortion.. but it makes me wonder... are the LTD guitars like a sub-brand of ESP guitars? are they the same quality has the regular ESP guitars?

I'm kinda looking at getting a really good neck-through guitar since I don't plan on upgrading for a while after that... would an ESP LTD guitar be good for me? or should I go with plain ESP or another brand like Dean or whichever.. If it's another brand, the pickups don't really matter... I just want some good pickups
They're not the same quality as regular ESPs, but nice nonetheless.

They will be a considerable upgrade from the GRX20 and it will last you a while too.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
LTD's, in my opinion, are of the same quality as their ESP counterparts, only differences i've really seen are neck construction and the woods they use. Great guitars, I own two of 'em...so..I could be a bit biased ~.^
Gear
ESP-LTD B-55 5-String Bass
Dean Edge-09
Hartke HA2500 on a VX-4x10

ESP-LTD EC-50 Guitar
Line6 Spider III 30watt
Quote by metalman71589
LTD's, in my opinion, are of the same quality as their ESP counterparts, only differences i've really seen are neck construction and the woods they use. Great guitars, I own two of 'em...so..I could be a bit biased ~.^

Their nice, but they're not the same quality.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
LTD:korea ESP: japan? or something like that...but i say the LTD is definitely worth it. definitely not same quality but doggone good.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
You get what you pay for. If you shell out more for the 'full' ESP, you get a higher quality instrument. On the other hand, that's not to say LTD's are bad by any such means. They're just not quite as nice as the higher priced ESP guitars.

The differences between LTD and ESP are certainly much less than the differences between say Fender and Squier, or Gibson and Epiphone.

The 'full' ESP guitars are pretty much professional-level, all the way. LTD are more of a garage band/small gig band level. For the vast, vast majority of people, a LTD guitar is more than good enough for anything they will ever do, and even if they did get an actual ESP, they wouldn't be getting any real benefits from it and probably wouldn't even notice a difference anyway.
When you start playing gigs in front of fifty thousand people, maybe then you could warrent an actual ESP. Until then though, LTD will see you through more than fine.

And for the record, no I am not biased. I've played a lot of ESP and LTD guitars, though I do not own one myself yet, and actually if I were goign to buy either, I probably would in fact go against my own advice and buy an actual ESP branded one. So take my comments as you will.
/\ This is true, but there are some pros that use LTD as well. Nergal from Behemoth uses LTDs a lot.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
400 series and up is generally praised as good for the money. you could also check out edwards guitars (search ishibashi on google) but it has to be imported from japan. dave_mc has me gasing for one but i doubt they'll be importing by the time i have enough for one
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I want to get an EX-400 so badly.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
They're not the same quality as regular ESPs, but nice nonetheless.

They will be a considerable upgrade from the GRX20 and it will last you a while too.

+1

the higher up LTD's are made in Korea- ESP's (and Edwards and Navigator) are made in Japan.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
400 series and up is generally praised as good for the money. you could also check out edwards guitars (search ishibashi on google) but it has to be imported from japan. dave_mc has me gasing for one but i doubt they'll be importing by the time i have enough for one

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by We'realltoBlame
I want to get an EX-400 so badly.

I want an EC-1000.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
thanks to all of you for the input... I have another question!

I went to a local guitar shop and tested a Jackson guitar with EMG pickups, I don't remember the model no. but I really liked the fretboard, it was all.. "glossy" and shiny and I could slide my hands very easily across the fretboard.

What type of wood should I look for if I wanted a similar fretboard?
what colour was the fretboard? brownish-black?

if so, probably ebony.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
are all the ebony fretboard shiny like that? and yes it was brownish-black
Aren't the pick ups 81/60 not 80/60?

Anyways, I've heard LTDs are pretty decent, as someone up there said, it depends what series you get. I was planning on getting the EX-400 but I change my mind alot, and I don't quite like the shape as much as I thought I did. I'd suggest trying one out first.

Check out the Eclipses, same pickups with Les paul type shape, i'm thinking of getting an EC-1000 STBC.
Quote by earth4x
are all the ebony fretboard shiny like that? and yes it was brownish-black

oh, you mean it had abalone binding and/or inlays? kinda like shiny jewelly things which catch the light?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No I mean the actual fretboard was all glossy and shiny (pretty much like a varnished floor) and it felt really nice, really easy to slide on the fretboard
maybe it was just nice and clean and/or freshly oiled?

but my guess, assuming it was a dark brown/almost black colour, is ebony is what you're after.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm pretty sure it wasn't recently oiled since it really looked like they're was some hard plastic covering the fretboard... it's really hard to explain, it just didn't feel like an oiled fretboard, it felt like it was plastic but it felt sleeky and smooth... lol it's so hard to describe :P
Damn the EC-1000 looks nice. I found a guy selling his, just need him to wait a month 'cause I just bought a new computer.

I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28