Hello, everyone. I looked through the stickies, and found nothing on the topic of making purely digital music.

For example, I went to the Apple store, and I could hit the keyboard keys (I mean, musical keyboard, not typing one) and it'd import into GarageBand. Pretty sweet. I could hit the keys, select an instrument, and it'd make it.

So what I'm looking for is peoples' setups that work for them well.

I need a sound card that'll accept input from a keyboard... also, I need a keyboard! I have one from like 1995. While good, I severely doubt it has the same connections that a sound card from 12 years later has.
www.monbre.com - a browser-based game that doesn't suck. (as much as others)
Quote by Spenc0rz
I need a sound card that'll accept input from a keyboard... also, I need a keyboard! I have one from like 1995. While good, I severely doubt it has the same connections that a sound card from 12 years later has.

Actually, it will have the same connection. There is a MIDI standard, and it was laid out some time in the 80's. Find a sound card that can take MIDI input... or just buy a USB MIDI controller (That's what those keyboards are called) and avoid the sound card.

Either way though, you'll want a good sound card. Check out the M-Audio gear, the delta 44 or 66's are great, I have a 66 myself. I use it to record, not just make digital sounds.

If you want pure digital sounds, I suggest you migrate to linux. Seriously. All the best soft-synths, samplers, effects, and sequencers are available for linux-only and completely free. Check out ZynAddSubFX, amSynth, Fluidsynth, Hydrogen, Ardour, Rosegarden, seq24, jack-rack, and LADSPA.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I have a toy PC for Linux, I'll definitely consider those for it.

Curious about the lack of needing a sound card for USB MIDI controller - though I want a sound card anyway, would the quality be bad or something? If not, I might actually want to consider that.

And thanks for the tip for the MIDI thing! I didn't know this hunkajunk could actually be accepted. xD Would the connection for the keyboard to PC be found with the sound card or USB, or is it seperate?

Thanks a lot for the help, Muphin. Judging from your sig, you're a pretty well-liked guy.
www.monbre.com - a browser-based game that doesn't suck. (as much as others)
MIDI connections are found on a sound card. You will want one that has MIDI in/out ports. They are big, round, and... well

That's a male connector. You can imagine what the female connector looks like.

These days, MIDI can be read with USB, and most new MIDI controllers offer USB and MIDI connectors. MIDI data is not audio, so you don't need a sound card for it, but if you want to hear the sounds that are generated by your MIDI-controlled synthesizers, you should get a good card.

So, in conclusion, I think you should get a sound card with MIDI connectors (Delta series doesn't have these, perhaps an M-Audio 1010LT?) because this way you can use your old keyboard from the 90's, but still have the ability to upgrade to a newer, USB keyboard when you get the money.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation