Page 1 of 2
What's the deal with everyone slating these amps?

Everyone on here says they hate them - what's the reasoning?
It's two things:

1) people hate them because others hate them

2) they're very digital sounding, low quality, solid state amps.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
1) Go to Guitar Gear And Accessories
2) Use the Search Function
3) They're hated because they sound appalling, and you can get better amps for the same money.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Because they sound like Sh*t. Don't try the whole badnwagon thing, I hated Spider amps long before I knew anyone else did (aka the first time I played one)
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
all in the name SPIDER.

what is a spider? well it's a creature that very few people like, many people fear, and idiots think they are insects

similarly a line6 spider is an amplifier very few people like, anyone with a good ear fears and idiots think they are plausible guitar amps
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Yngwi3
1) Go to Guitar Gear And Accessories
2) Use the Search Function
3) They're hated because they sound appalling, and you can get better amps for the same money.

^what he said, and i've made a more important part stand out.

there too many threads about why everyone on this forum hates line 6 spiders, lets just say, rather than ask questions, use common sense to work out why so many people don't like them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Just like an MG, they charge to much for too little.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
i've played one, and i'd rather have an MG (yeah i said it). i spiders's have a ton of **** on them, but they just don't sound good. they are way too digital sounding and sound worse as you turn them up. i don't think they are expensive actually, but really, out of all the hundred's of models and presets and crap, i mean how much of that are u actually gonna use? they just aren't very practical
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
everyone who says they hate them has never spent time with them and messed around witht he settings
they sound digital, but not anymore than a roland cube, and everybody likes those, for a bedroom/practice amp they're good, but for gigging....no
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I just don't get it. Here in the UK at most music stores it's about all you can get for sub £70. Obviously this is a beginners budget, but I couldn't find anything better for the money I had available.

Surely these things need to be taken into context. For £69 (and I'm referring to the 15W Spider III here) why do they suck? I bought a CRATE FlexWave 15W for £59, thought it sucked big time, and took it back and exchanged for the Spider.

The Spider is just in a whole other league, the tone is incomparable to the Crate.

Obviously they're not great amps, come on, they're cheap as chips, but surely for the money there's not a lot better out there?

At least not according to the UG community...

Features: 9.1
Sound: 8.4
Reliability: 9.4
Impression: 9

Overall rating: 9
a behringer X V-amp or zoom pedal sounds better attached to some monitors. if you already have the monitors then the x v-amp is a whopping £50.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Crap for what?

Crap for a beginner guitarist to learn to play their instrument at home? Because they're definitley not crap in that context!
It just comes down to what people want doesn't it.

I wanted an inexpensive amp with a couple of built in effects so I could learn to play my guitar and dabble in some effects without buying expensive effects pedals.

The sound quality is great compared to what I've heard in the same price range, and judging by reviews most everywhere on the internet, a lot of people feel the same.

Some snobbery here methinks.
Quote by gax30tr

At least not according to the UG community...
Features: 9.1
Sound: 8.4
Reliability: 9.4
Impression: 9
Overall rating: 9

It's an endless cycle:

n00b sees Spider in all it's flashy-trashy-ness and lots of pretty effects and lots of WATTZ!!! [that's the most important thing] for really cheap!
n00b goes and buys amp, and because n00b hasn't tried out better amps, thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.
n00b goes on UGz0rz and rates his brand new buy which he spent all of his monieyyz on.
n00b #2 sees spider in all it's flashy-trashy-ness, but is slightly more clever than n00b, n00b #2 tries to RESEARCH.
n00b #2 goes on UG's reviews and sees n00b's review.
n00b #2 goes "OMGLOLWTFBBQ" and goes and buys Spider.
n00b #3 comes along.

e.t.c.

-------------------
Good amp with effects for under £70?
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-micro-cube/12942

*ding ding*
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by ChaoticVengence
everyone who says they hate them has never spent time with them and messed around witht he settings
they sound digital, but not anymore than a roland cube, and everybody likes those, for a bedroom/practice amp they're good, but for gigging....no

wait... i thought the spider was meant to have presets, so you don't have to mess with the settings. and actually, most of the people who hate spiders are previous/current owners. its usually either noobs, people who haven't played through anything better, or people who just messed with them briefly in a shop, that say they aren't that bad.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

It just makes me laugh now snobbish people are.

My guitar isn't as good as as some others.
My car isn't as good as others.
My house isn't as big as others.

Yet neither my guitar, car, or house are crap.

If you like something, it works for you, and serves your purpose, then enjoy it. Congratulations to people who enjoy their equipment for what it is - their choice.
to TS. you came on asking why they are bad, you got your reasons, you're now criticizing everyone and getting all worked up

"Crap for what?

Crap for a beginner guitarist to learn to play their instrument at home? Because they're definitley not crap in that context!"

crap for everything. I chose a peavey blazer as my first amp out of all the things i tried (including a spider) it costs £80 and sounds infinitely better. sure it doesn't have effects but i think effects are something further down the line (and so i got a behringer x v-amp after about a year of playing) and a better sounding basic amp is a far better idea.

i mean you give a beginner reverb a compressor and a noise gate and they'll never notice they are playing terribly because the mistakes will hardly show up at all. if you use a compressor and your dynamics are all over the place you won't notice, reverb covers up for a lack of clarity in beginners and a noise gate prevents them from learning how to deal with unwanted noise on their own
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by gax30tr
It just makes me laugh now snobbish people are.

My guitar isn't as good as as some others.
My car isn't as good as others.
My house isn't as big as others.

Yet neither my guitar, car, or house are crap.

If you like something, it works for you, and serves your purpose, then enjoy it. Congratulations to people who enjoy their equipment for what it is - their choice.

lol, i'm not being snobbish. i have an epiphone les paul junior, which cost me £89, and i like it. what i'm saying is a lot of people have bought spiders and realised they made the wrong choice, and based on that, here we are trying to prevent others from making the same mistake - we're trying to help, we aren't just saying an amp sucks for the hell of it.

gax30tr no one is being snobbish, you're just an attention seeking little gimp. you asked for opinions you complete and utter retard.

You are either under the age of 14 (with no disrespect to under 14's with some level of maturity) or just generally a real faggot who has started this thread knowing full well what the responses will be. grow up either way, or kill yourself.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
gax30tr no one is being snobbish, you're just an attention seeking little gimp. you asked for opinions you complete and utter retard.

You are either under the age of 14 (with no disrespect to under 14's with some level of maturity) or just generally a real faggot who has started this thread knowing full well what the responses will be. grow up either way, or kill yourself.

kinda mean huh?
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
like he gives a crap what i just said
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_

This actually made me laugh

Look, I didn't post what I posted looking for an argument, I just wondered why they got so much stick, judging by the fact that they seem like perfectly good amps for people with little or no experience in guitar.

Oh, and no, I'm over 14, I'm not a "faggot" as you put it - surely you can get arrested for using that term these days if the PC brigade ever catch up with you! - and aren't contemplating suicide right about now!
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
like he gives a crap what i just said

i personally think, if he flames back in a "OMG STFU" manner or sends you some sort of e-threat, he is only proving you correct.

edit: ok, that was a relatively mature post, he isn't a 10 year old whose mummy just bought him a pooter.

also a faggot is a type of meatball, actually, and there's no political objection to calling someone a meatball... yet.

Last edited by Blompcube at Oct 15, 2007,
Quote by gax30tr

and aren't contemplating suicide right about now!

great grammar
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Thank goodness when I started playing all we had were tube amps, otherwise I may have fallen prey to "Spider-bite."
faggot has many definitions, probably none of which are true. fish's vagina, bundle of sticks etc
i think the bundle of sticks definition could be were it came about as meaning homosexual.

and gax, you have no wit so don't try and exercise any.

As such there are no substantial laws for calling anyone anything, unless it's on public television no one cares.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Just my little 2 cents here... Before I really knew much about guitars or guitar amps(i only used to play bass), I played on a 120watt spider in my school, honestly it just sounded like complete crap... the sound was really "artificial" (not sure if thats the best word choice). Also, when I cranked the amp up to high volume, uhg... horrific... and that was a couple years back... Just the other day I went to buy a new guitar/amp set up, the guys at Guitar Center were set on attempting to sell me a Spider amp, when I tried it out, the sound was better than the one I had played at school, but still very digital ,and just did not put out a good tone... I tryed out a Crate amp, and loved that way more... I picked a 65w Crate over the 75w Spider... no regrets.
I don't get it! I got mine for £200. That is a deal for an amp to gig with and loads of effects. Yes it did sound pirtty bad at first but after experimenting with the controls ive maganged to get half decent sound out of it. HALF decent. Yes its not amazing its obvislouy not comparable to £800 marshalls were not stupid. And you say theirs other amps for same price and better? I got the spider for the effects, tuner, pre sets, wattage and the noise gate. Not all amps below £200 can provide all of those.

For home practise its great. For gigs, its ok but not good thats why im saving for a decent valve half stack.

Also why do people say the louder you crank it the worse it sounds? The higher mine is the better!?! At low volumes it is pritty thin. But at over half way it sounds sooo much better.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by seizetheday1103
great grammar

*sigged*
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
yeah they are cheap BUT they do suck bro I have one and now play a Marshall G15R CD and thats way better......and thats not saying much! LOL Look into Roland amps they are jsut alittle more but are WAY better.
My Gear:

Epiphone
Zakk Wylde Custom Bullseye
Silvertone Sunburst Strat Copy
S101 Standard Black Strat Copy
Boss Distortion DS-1 F/S!!!
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Soon: Roland Cube 20x
Quote by Bonsaischaap
It's two things:

1) people hate them because others hate them

2) they're very digital sounding, low quality, solid state amps.

The first point is 100% true. Follow the crowd....

3 quarters of these people havent tryed one, or not enough to experiment with it.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by gax30tr
Crap for what?

Crap for a beginner guitarist to learn to play their instrument at home? Because they're definitley not crap in that context!

I managed to learn how to play my instrument fine without a Spider, and am very glad I did. I had a pos crate 15 watt amp that I played through a Kustom cabinet I got for free cause it was broke, I fixed it, and because it had a 15 inch speaker, it cut out the sharpness of that little amp. My second amp was a broken Crate 80 watt combo, that I sold, and got a Vox AD50VT. When I still had that little 15 watt amp, I knew it sounded like crap. I also knew that the Spider amps sounded just as bad, but cost more money.

Spiders suck, some people are thouroghly convinced that they are good amps, and some people are also mistaken badly. Line six as a whole is a bad amp company. Their pedals are okay, particularly their DDL4, but you couldn't pay me to own a spider amp.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I have had my Spider II for some time now and I don't have a problems with it. I have read all the Line 6 bashing and almost didn't get one but I got a huge deal on mine so I got it. I have to say I don't use the preset settings. I turn them off according to the instructions and then set it the way I like it myself. I have cranked it pretty loud and it seems to be consistant. I have talked to a bunch of people that love their Line 6 equipment Spiders included. Don't get me wrong it's no vintage Marshall by any means but as far as a SS amp it's better than most I have tried. I do have to say I am not using a Line 6 cab. I have a smaller 4x10 Pro audio cab with Jensen Mod speakers. I tried it with a Marshall 4x12 cab I almost bought and I didn't like the sound at all. Recently I loaned my amp and cab to a friend for a gig and he told me he liked it, it just took a little time to figure out.

John
The little 15 watter makes a decent practice amp for somebody new to guitar since it has a lot of bells and whistles. I'd probably suggest a Microcube or Valvetronix instead, but it's not likes those amps are *way* better than the Spider as a practice amp.

Any of the other models are a waste of money.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Anyone with $200 in their pocket can now afford a tube amp. In my humble (or not) opinion Cubes and Peavey Transtubes (ss amps) eat Spiders for breakfast. I admittedly only spent 15 or 20 minutes with a Spider in my buddies store, but I had the loud room all to myself. I'm pretty darn good at amp-tweaking (owning Peavey's you'd better be) and I could not get a decent sound out of it. So that's why I don't like them. These threads are kind of bad because the Spider owners just get their feelings hurt or get defensive. I concentrate on helping players get the best sound out of whatever they have, but no way in Hell will I ever recommend a Spider.
Everyone hates them because they're modeling amps. Which basically means, they attempt to recreate another amp's sound.

But if it's the same sh!t, it's design plageurism, isn't it? Or something stupid like that.

Basically, it has to be different, yet the whole concept of modeling is to sound just like something else. It's an oxymoron. But if you put a few pedals through it, it doesn't sound bad. People just don't often like modeling amps, they're unoriginal and often times, low quality.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Just like an MG, they charge to much for too little.

I woudln't say that. For it to have all it does at a price much less than the Vox and Roland cube, the spider is a good buy if it suits you well.

If you dislike it, it's simple, don't ****ing buy it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I woudln't say that. For it to have all it does at a price much less than the Vox and Roland cube, the spider is a good buy if it suits you well.

If you dislike it, it's simple, don't ****ing buy it.

I've just fallen madly in love with you.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
These threads are redundant anyway, you get three answers always, and there have been 100's of them.

1. People (who usually know what they are talking about) say Spiders suck because they sound bad.

2. N00bs claim to actually like them/get defensive about them

3. People say to use the SEARCH BUTTON AS THERE HAVE BEEN OVER A HUNDRED OF THESE THREADS, ALL FOLLOWING THE SAME FORMAT AS DESCRIBED.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Page 1 of 2