Ive been playing guitar for about a year and thought that its similar to a Bass, This was soon to be corrected when I tried my friends bass to find I could barely play a somewhat crappy riff. But I love the funky sound. should i grab some cash and go buy a bass to practice and play or just stick to guitar?

Any suggestions for a cheap Practice Bass that doesn't inherently sound like ass. Oh, and im left-handed so im pretty limited for my choices for one.
"The Government gives you the power of free speech but you have to make your voice heard"
Just get an acoustic n tune it like a bass or something, thats what i mess around on
Quote by Pinky19
My guitar is so ugly, it makes me wanna punch a baby.
Guitar first. People get stupid and try to take on loads of instruments at one. Guitar to Piano is the main offender. Get the guitar good first. My opinion.
Quote by rocabillyrollup
Just get an acoustic n tune it like a bass or something, thats what i mess around on

Thanks, ill do that.
"The Government gives you the power of free speech but you have to make your voice heard"
That's impossible. You can not tune a guitar like a bass. A good starting bass would be something like an ibanez soundgear or a washburn taurus.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by Greg Harper
Guitar first. People get stupid and try to take on loads of instruments at one. Guitar to Piano is the main offender. Get the guitar good first. My opinion.

Ok, I can say with a bit of pride that im not great but I don't sound like ass(anymore) so ill take the guy who posted above somewhere's Idea and tune my acoustic to a bass tuning and fiddle around.
Quote by Friedmaniac
That's impossible. You can not tune a guitar like a bass. A good starting bass would be something like an ibanez soundgear or a washburn taurus.

Why not? It's not against the laws of physics. Sure, the strings will be a bit floppy, but it will work.
How would one tune a guitar like a bass?

It's the same thing, but with lower pitches, guitar strings don't go that low....

Anyway, I think basses are fun to play with, if you want one to mess around with, go ahead and buy one.
Yeah that wont work, but go ahead and try to tune it like a bass. You will still suck when you try to play a regular bass. Just letting you know. The Ibanez bass listed above is good starter though. Good luck
Quote by Kanthras
Why not? It's not against the laws of physics. Sure, the strings will be a bit floppy, but it will work.

Uh, no. At the bass range the strings would be falling off the fretboard when held sideways. A.K.A. no it will not work.
Just get a cheap Ibanez bass or Fender
Last edited by dutch5367 at Oct 15, 2007,
Maybe try a Dean bass. They're not great but not absolutely horrible.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Right, I'm going to clear something up here.

Anyone before post 10 aren't bassists, eveidently.

Secondly, if you want to learn how to play bass BUY A DAMN BASS. If you wanted to learn trumpet, you wouldn't buy a trombone, would you?

Bass is a strength instrument. Learning how to play basslines on an acoustic guitar will not serve you well. Trust me.
Quote by Friedmaniac

you can actualy, ive done it before. mind you it does sound very ****ty and the strings are loose, so IMO get a real bass not an acoustic
Quote by rage6945
girls dont get braces in their vaginas buddy
maybe an acoustic bass??? anyways. if you have the money go for it. most guitarists i know buy a bass to mess around with at some point. just make sure you stick to practicing your main instrument more. wether it stays guitar or switches to bass.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i play both and i say if u REALLY wnt to try it out get an ibanez or Fender Squier and test it out and if you like it then advance up to a better bass AND play guitar at the same time.thats what i do. that way you have more opportunities.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Right, I'm going to clear something up here.

Anyone before post 10 aren't bassists, eveidently.

Secondly, if you want to learn how to play bass BUY A DAMN BASS. If you wanted to learn trumpet, you wouldn't buy a trombone, would you?

Bass is a strength instrument. Learning how to play basslines on an acoustic guitar will not serve you well. Trust me.

I play bass.
I recommend buying a bass. Honestly though, you can't tune a guitar like a bass. Go ahead and get like a cheap Squier or Ibanez. If you try playing a guitar like a bass, when you finally play a real bass, you won't be prepared for the thick, heavy strings. Trust me.
Quote by FaceTheBass
Get a bass.

Use the guitar for firewood.

Hahaha.

Hell yeah.

Just buy a cheap Squier.