Alright, ive got about 700 hundred dollars to blow and I need a new amp horribly. Anyone have suggestions other than the peavy 212 valve king? I need something that will be able to crank out enough volume for medium sized gigs of about 100+ people.
50 watts on a tube amp is more than enough for 100+ people, seriously
dude get the B-52 At-212 or At-112. check it out, it's a beautiful amp, that's what i'm getting!
Quote by nxtvanhalen
dude get the B-52 At-212 or At-112. check it out, it's a beautiful amp, that's what i'm getting!

most likely will break on yah , to be honest, the Peavey Valve King 212 can be quite GREAT for metal if you set it up right, and have EMG active pickups, but for the price of the 212 there are better amps, now on the other hand the Peavy Valve King 112 is a great deal, it can also play metal really well, but when you add a metal muff pedal, it sounds super great especially with EMG pickups , who says you need a huge 6505 or 5150
totally should have listed the styles I'll be playing on it. Most of my current gigs are in a jazz/rock style, with blues and funk influences. The music I love to play and am still looking for a good band in is metal/rock, with just about as much variation in style as Buckethead. Hopefully that gives you an idea of what I'm after.

And why do you say that the B-52 will break?
actually i think they've sorted out most of the problems (can't speak for all of them as im sure they can't all be perfect) on the b-52s. they started out pretty bad and erratic, but they added fans to keep 'em cool, and smoothed out all the flaws on the newer models. if you call them and ask i hear they tell you whether or not yours is faulty (from the serial number, like after a certain number they can say if a certain problem was fixed) and if you have a problem they replace it with a good one.
Just buy a used 5150 combo. It's probably gonna be less than that is and it is amazing.
But the Valveking is a very good amp. People who say that it can't do metal have never messed with it a lot. If EQed properly, it sounds amazing.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
If you do jazz and funk-type stuff you'll need clean headroom, but I still reckon 100W might turn out to be overkill! Even more so once you start playing heavy rock, since you'll never get the power tubes cooking properly. Maybe look at the 1x12 version, or something like the Traynor Custom Valve 40, Marshall DSL401 or similar.

Better still, buy used!
Quote by nxtvanhalen
actually i think they've sorted out most of the problems (can't speak for all of them as im sure they can't all be perfect) on the b-52s. they started out pretty bad and erratic, but they added fans to keep 'em cool, and smoothed out all the flaws on the newer models. if you call them and ask i hear they tell you whether or not yours is faulty (from the serial number, like after a certain number they can say if a certain problem was fixed) and if you have a problem they replace it with a good one.

check the stores, they have the older ones still

but for those genres the Valve King 212 can do clean sounds, you may want to consider getting different tubes to get the best sound for what you play
^ uh oh... i better order wisely, im definitely getting one soon and i dont want an epic phailure on my hands!!
The VK 112 is the best deal of the three Valvekings, and you can run a 412 cab if you want more coverage later. The cleans are pretty good, like all tube amps though it starts breaking up at about 5 or 6, but its pretty loud at that point.
The B52 is more modern sounding, which I liked, but I got rid of mine (malfunctions) and fell in love with the VK 112 that I exchanged it for. I play blues and classic rock mostly so it was closer to the sound I needed.
They are both budget Chinese amps so I suggest trying either out very thoroughly and getting a good warranty. I have had no problems with my VK for over a year, and though I don't gig anymore I have stressed it in full band situations.
Quote by uldhppi
The VK 112 is the best deal of the three Valvekings, and you can run a 412 cab if you want more coverage later. The cleans are pretty good, like all tube amps though it starts breaking up at about 5 or 6, but its pretty loud at that point.
The B52 is more modern sounding, which I liked, but I got rid of mine (malfunctions) and fell in love with the VK 112 that I exchanged it for. I play blues and classic rock mostly so it was closer to the sound I needed.
They are both budget Chinese amps so I suggest trying either out very thoroughly and getting a good warranty. I have had no problems with my VK for over a year, and though I don't gig anymore I have stressed it in full band situations.

yeah, you can always take it apart, and disconnect parts then reattactch them with quality methods, and replace the tubes, and you can make the 112 a nice amp
Thanks so far guys, you all have given me a lot of quality input about choosing a good new amp. I'm thinking its either going to be the valve king or the AT-112. Will the single 12' speaker be able to put out enough volume to play over a set in a 500 or so person auditorium? I know its tube and supposed to be loud, but I don't have a lot of experience with small tube combos. Would it be a good idea to route this amp through a 4X12 speaker cab that I have lying around or would it need it at all? Thanks again.
Either would definitely be loud enough, but a 112 is going to be very directional, people sitting to the side may not hear it as well. It would be great if mic'd, not because of inadequate power, but the directionalilty thing. Depending on the acoustics of the venue and the seating spread it might work unmic'd but I think it would be safer to run a 412 cab.
Try both those amps and others, but you won't find anything as nice for your budget, unless you go used. Just for the record I much prefer my Valveking after owning the two B52's (that both broke after three months each.) They may have fixed the quality issues, but how would you feel if it happened to you? Just to be fair I have heard a few horror stories about Valvekings and I have no reason to call anyone a liar, but I have to go on my experiences. I haven't had to modify my VK 112 at all and it sounds great.