there is another way to record without a mic stuck to the amp. look for an amp with a headphones slot and connect one end of a guitar cable there. connect the other end to a computer's mic or line in slot. you may need an adaptor to make the other end smaller, you can buy it at Radio Shack. Now, go to the volume control in the computer (for microsoft, click Start-All Programs-Accesories-Entertainment-Volume Control) and click on options (located in the upper left end of the volume control window) and then click on properties. in the window that just popped up, u will see some boxes checked. scroll that part up or down until u find "mic" or "line in". check those boxes and click OK. you will now see line in or mic or both of them. turn their volume as high as you want then click on options (located in the upper left end of the volume control window) and then click on properties. in the window that just popped up, u will see something like "adjust volume for" and "playback" and "recording". click on the circle beside it and scroll the part where you see the boxes checked up or down until u find "mic" or "line in". check those boxes and click OK. you will now see line in or mic or both of them. turn their volume as high as you want and open the sound recorder (for microsoft, click Start-All Programs-Accesories-Entertainment-sound recorder) or any other recording device and record.
NOTE>connect ur guitar to the input slot.
Last edited by streetlegal08 at Oct 15, 2007,
1. stop using such a giant font, it's relly annoying
2. you just found this out now?
Quote by viper_mike
1. stop using such a giant font, it's relly annoying
2. you just found this out now?

a)haha, i fixed it.
b) no, but there is a lot of people that dont know this.
Why does it sound bad? I'm just wondering because I'm thinking of playing in the next UG Jam but I don't have a mic (nor am I prepared to buy one) and I've grown accustomed to my amp tone.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
A guitar amp is not a line-level device. You'll have an impedance mismatch on your hands.
Quote by sargasm
A guitar amp is not a line-level device. You'll have an impedance mismatch on your hands.

FACT
This is nothing new....the big font is annoying, people use mics because it allows them to get the actual tone of the amp, not just the preamp. And the impedance issue will not apply if you are using a headphone or line out, since those are generally not going to be high impedance outputs for compatibility reasons.
Some kid is always going to screw up and use the line / speaker output, which is a recipe for mayhem.

Then you get the analog/digital problem because you're not converting the signal.

Why does it sound bad? I'm just wondering because I'm thinking of playing in the next UG Jam but I don't have a mic (nor am I prepared to buy one) and I've grown accustomed to my amp tone.

Ah, the UG jam. Two boring hours of kids soloing over the same backing track. Fun fun fun.
If you're money constraints are pretty bad, and you hate using the mic at the amp...best way to go is a computer friendly processor. If you can find a Guitarport or Toneport (or anything equivelant) you'll be a happy person.