ok i was just wondering if anyone has ever made a guitar out of one solid piece of wood like one block of mahogany(a wood that i know is used as necks and body wood) and just carved out the guitar?

and if not why ?

wouldnt you get more sustain than a neck-through because the neck isnt just glued to the wings its one piece?
it'd be prone to warping, it'd be difficult to get a block of wood that big, making a mistake would mean you'd have to start completely from the beginning.

that being said, I'm sure someone will have made one at some point.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
My Washburn Dime2ST was solid mahogany. Weighed a ton too. 1 piece guitar bodies generally sustain a wee bit better, and sound a bit fuller and richer.
Quote by CJRocker
My Washburn Dime2ST was solid mahogany. Weighed a ton too. 1 piece guitar bodies generally sustain a wee bit better, and sound a bit fuller and richer.

thats pretty awesome dude i just started thinkin about lookin into some dimebag dean's

i liked emg's but now im a bigger fan of seymour duncans i like the warmth and natural tone
Quote by Chad11491
he was talking about the body, not the guitar as a whole

Yeah. Btw, the import Deans are multi piece bodies, not one piece like the Washburns
it is very hard to get a slab of wood big enough to make a one piece guitar because it takes a very big tree with a wide trunk (with isnt usaully common with trees whose wood is used as tonewood.)
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Switch guitars are made out of one piece of Vibracell . No neck joint or carving necessary whee.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by uldhppi
I wanna know how those things sound.

They don't sound bad, but its been a year since I played one. I think the stock pickups are a bti bland, but with nice DiMarzio's, I think they would be pretty nice.
Quote by gopherthegreat
what kind of wood is best?

Depends on what kind of tone you want.

Quote by uldhppi
I wanna know how those things sound.

They sound pretty decent once you get over the fact that !ZOMG! you aren't playing through wood. Pretty even and full frequency response; and very resonant. They aren't bad guitars by any means. I agree that the pickups could use some swapping.

I've probably played 5 or 6 of them, and as a result, I usually try to recommend them if people are looking for something in their price range. They make nice beater guitars since they don't warp at all .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Depends on what kind of tone you want.

They sound pretty decent once you get over the fact that !ZOMG! you aren't playing through wood. Pretty even and full frequency response; and very resonant. They aren't bad guitars by any means. I agree that the pickups could use some swapping.

I've probably played 5 or 6 of them, and as a result, I usually try to recommend them if people are looking for something in their price range. They make nice beater guitars since they don't warp at all .

thats pretty cool dude
so they pour the "Vibracell" plastic into a cast or something?

its like rob flynn's bc rich for aesthtics right?