Page 1 of 2
Would that be a good first tube amp?

Im just wondering cause people say its versitile and im wondering whether or not to save for it.
I think it would be a good amp for sure, but if you play metal you want to try it out extensively before you buy. Opinions on its metal abilities are divided, two out of three owners say its great (for metal) and about one third are not satisfied. I play blues and classic rock and its perfect. One year ownership with occasional full band jams and no problems.
Yea its a good amp, i have it and you can play pretty much anything on it. I play metal on mine all the time, but deffinately try it out and see if you like it.
Guitars-
Schecter S-1 Elite
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone SG Faded
Epiphone Sheraton II

Amps-
Peavey Valveking 212

Pedals-
Dunlop CryBaby
Boss NS-2
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

CHECK OUT MY BAND AT http://www.myspace.com/noneofusalone
Quote by uldhppi
I think it would be a good amp for sure, but if you play metal you want to try it out extensively before you buy. Opinions on its metal abilities are divided, two out of three owners say its great (for metal) and about one third are not satisfied. I play blues and classic rock and its perfect. One year ownership with occasional full band jams and no problems.

Well, I guess it depends on what you want for metal. If your into death metal or something, it's probably not gonna get the distortion you want. If you really want good distortion at the sacrifice of cleans, get a 5150 combo off eBay. The Valveking has cleans and distortion that I like though.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by Red989
Well, I guess it depends on what you want for metal. If your into death metal or something, it's probably not gonna get the distortion you want. If you really want good distortion at the sacrifice of cleans, get a 5150 combo off eBay. The Valveking has cleans and distortion that I like though.

metal muff+Peavey Valve King 112+EMG pickups=Godly for metal its like a pocket 6505 or 5150, minus the cost , but not something you'd want to gig with just for home use its perfect, least from what I've palyed with in a store

watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aTO0Z-B274
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Oct 15, 2007,
Quote by uldhppi

+1

I'm one of the unsatisfied people on the metal part, but it may be my own fault. I don't have any good pedals nor do I have good high gain pickups. Blues and classic rock would probably be this amps strongest points but I think it's just my own guitars/pedals not giving the sound I want.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by hardcoredarrell
metal muff+Peavey Valve King 112+EMG pickups=Godly for metal its like a pocket 6505 or 5150, minus the cost , but not something you'd want to gig with just for home use its perfect, least from what I've palyed with in a store

watch this video

Why wouldnt you want to gig with it?
I would gig with it and love every minute, but I don't play metal. For blues and classic rock the speaker is fine.
I got one a couple of days ago and I think it's fine for metal. Death metal is a bit of a stretch I noticed, but with and OD pedal and some EMG pickups I am pretty confident it can get there.
I use my VK for death metal and my bandmates thought it sounded great, and were surprised when I told them I wasn't using a pedal - just the gain up high, and the gain boost on.

Still trying to find my sound - it was feeding back quite a bit and I might have to turn down the gain to sort that out.

But I really don't get the resonance and presence controls - I didn't notice any real difference on tweaking them. (Although it was difficult to hear as the drummer kept blast beating and the singer kept screaming ).

Also, I haven't played with the texture control much yet - although I did wind it all the way down and it didn't really seem much quieter - despite supposedly being a 60% decrease in power
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by hardcoredarrell
not something you'd want to gig with...

Hmmm....

I'd suggest the VK as a first tube amp only if you were gigging, or intending to soon. It's a big, loud amp. That's it's biggest feature: the most power for the buck.

Otherwise, something like a Blues Jr., Crate V16, or other amps in the 15W range make perfect first tube amps. Good for home use, and enough power to jam and gig (with reasonable musicians). Generally nicer tone than the VK, too, which I personally found to be somewhat unresponsive for a tube amp.

Depends on the music you're playing and where you're playing it, really.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Once again, Slats is right, the VK is pretty much as flat as they come in terms of tube amps. The Palomino (V) series would be a better option ; far more versatile, and frankly, useable. And I'm not sure how much Classic 30s retail for, but you could certainly get one used at the same price.
Quote by Dr. B
I use my VK for death metal and my bandmates thought it sounded great, and were surprised when I told them I wasn't using a pedal - just the gain up high, and the gain boost on.

Still trying to find my sound - it was feeding back quite a bit and I might have to turn down the gain to sort that out.

But I really don't get the resonance and presence controls - I didn't notice any real difference on tweaking them. (Although it was difficult to hear as the drummer kept blast beating and the singer kept screaming ).

Also, I haven't played with the texture control much yet - although I did wind it all the way down and it didn't really seem much quieter - despite supposedly being a 60% decrease in power

What do you have your Bass dial on? I use the settings from the manual, and it sounds great, but somtimes when I hit a low tone the amp just kinda grumbles. No sustain, no nothing, just... Noise. And then it sounds great again for a while until the process is repeated.

Is this something anyone else have experienced too?
I think the bass was about 4-5 as it seems pretty bassy (I tune down to BEADF#B).

I did notice a low humming as well. Kind of like feedback at low frequency.
It didn't seem to stop until I muted the strings heavily - just touching them lightly and it carried on!!!???
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
cheers guys

was just curious so it seems a good amp? I was gonna get some high output pickups anyway (warpigs or miricale man, Bareknuckles)
Its a fine amp for non-metal things. For metal, look for ashdown or B-52 or something.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Dr. B
I think the bass was about 4-5 as it seems pretty bassy (I tune down to BEADF#B).

I did notice a low humming as well. Kind of like feedback at low frequency.
It didn't seem to stop until I muted the strings heavily - just touching them lightly and it carried on!!!???

Yeah, I only tune down to D standard or drop C depending on the song, so I really pushed the Bass (to my defense the manual recommended me to put the Bass on 10, so it's not like I went against any instructions or nothing) and sometimes it's like the amp cuts out everthing but the bass resulting in kind of a graveling noise. It don't happen when I palm mute, only on regular notes.
A lot of the flubbiness seems to be caused by the fact that the speaker needs a lot of break-in. When I first got mine I also noticed this flub, but after about 30 hours of moderate volume break-in the speaker loosened up quite nicely. This is one of the things that discourages new owners about the amp. For some reason new Peavey speakers, especially the ones in VK's are stiff as hell when new, and the speaker excursion is attenuated. Also some burn-in time for the boards and tubes seems to improve the sound in general. Keep the amp and play the heck out of it until your exchange period is almost over, that way if you are still not satisfied you can get something else. Mine is a year old and sounds at least 15-20% (subjective) better than it did brand new.
I thought it was rather muddy when i tried it, the classic 30 sounded way better to me
i had one an it wasnt bad to start with. now that ive changed the tubes for groove tubes, and put an eminence legend speaker in it sounds excellent. It has plenty gain, but theres still enough clarity. The speaker will also help with the responsiveness of the sound, and smooth it out. so it probs works out a bit more expensive, but its worth it.
Quote by uldhppi
A lot of the flubbiness seems to be caused by the fact that the speaker needs a lot of break-in.

Supposedly the Resonance can control this.

Had any luck with that?
Didn't seem to do a lot to me...
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
I think the Valveking's a great amp. Most of the issues, tonewise, that I hear about it are generally contributed to the stock speakers, which like uldhppi said, get better over time, or are easily replaced.

For the people that I've spoken to that have a Valveking, a speaker swap and tube replacement remedies most issues. In the case of the VK100 head, a change of cab.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
It tightens it up a bit. You notice it most when its at gig volumes, and the resonance switch seems to affect it more after speaker break-in. Also for tighter response turn the texture knob all the way over to A/B.
Hard to concentrate on a response with your avatar pulling my eyes.
yea i bought the vk cuz i wanted a relatively inexpensive tube amp, kind of a n00b, couldnt justify spending thousands on a head and cab.....yet. But it is definately loud, and i obviously dont gig, its a lil much for tootlin around with haha, i have yet to really go over 4-5 on volume... RED989, i got a similar set up to u, vk100 with a crate cab, but i put celestion 12's in it...which obv made a huge difference, just wondering how much of a diff that tube screamer made....right now all i have is a boss ML-2, MT-2 (which prolly wont get used much now that i got the ML), a NS-2, and DD-3...just wonderin bout tube screamers, hear bout em, but never really mess with one...thanks.
can a valveking do satch/ vai / buckethead kinda of stuff??
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
c-1 classic
mim strat (not fender)
valveking 112
Boss dd20 giga delay
Boss phase shifter
more to come
fender acoustic

my band

Quote by someperson
buy a wah wah pedal. Easier to use, and you won't have to re-tune your guitar after you use it.
Quote by uldhppi
It tightens it up a bit.

Thanks for the info.
But can anyone explain what "tightening up" means?
I hear it everywhere but can never find an adequate explanation for it.

I suppose you have to hear it to understand, but I've got a physics degree so technical terms welcome
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
Thanks for the info.
But can anyone explain what "tightening up" means?
I hear it everywhere but can never find an adequate explanation for it.

I suppose you have to hear it to understand, but I've got a physics degree so technical terms welcome

Click the Tight button on the back of the amp and compare it to the Loose setting.

Nah, but when you tighten things up you remove some frequencies that stick out from the rest and you kinda even out the levels of thing to get a more rounded, tight tone.

At least that's the definition I have.
I suppose on a physical level it limits the speaker cone excursion, especially on the long waves. It could be regarded as a form of attenuation also. I'm sure it shifts the frequency response somewhat. Tighter amps tend to be more articulate (less tube "sag" i.e. midrange compression.) Tighter sounds tend to be more focused and less diffused, compare an open-backed cab like most combos to a closed back (infinite baffle) cab like a 412.
Ah okay. I think I get it.

So, maybe it removes a bit of the low frequency that you can't really hear?
Compresses the dynamic range a bit?

Then I guess the presence does the same at the top end.

I'll play with it again tonight!
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
Ah okay. I think I get it.

So, maybe it removes a bit of the low frequency that you can't really hear?
Compresses the dynamic range a bit?

Then I guess the presence does the same at the top end.

I'll play with it again tonight!

yeah, honestly it's a nice amp, im getting one soon, I've been researching tube combo amps for a while

check these metal vids

Active EMG guitar with it

Passive Pickups
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE5Qb4SVqU8
I was thinking about getting one. Ended up getting a Traynor YCV40 instead. No regrets at all.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
it seems as if the VK fanbase is getting larger. Im planning on getting a speaker change soon. most likely a V30 but im happy with it right now after having it for about 6 months
Well, I managed to get some decent sounds out of it at rehearsal last night.

I was having problems with feedback but managed to remove most of it - the presence knob turned right down seemed to help.

Still one thing which is annoying - the low frequency hum. The squealing feedback can be quite musical and is anyway easily controlled by simply muting the strings.
But at the end of a song I often found quite a loud hum, a bit like an unplugged cable makes which doesn't go away until I turn the guitar volume down - muting the strings doesn't seem to do it.

Anyway, I was pleased with the smooth distortion and low noise - our other guitarist uses a Marshall JCM800 with gain on max and a Boss OD in front of it and the hiss was so loud we had to shout over it between songs!
The VK was silent by comparison.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by hardcoredarrell
not cellestain speaker

*celestion

and so what if it's not a celestion speaker? there are other spakers that do the job well...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
*celestion

and so what if it's not a celestion speaker? there are other spakers that do the job well...

thats a generic term for meaning, get a new speaker sometime in the future for it chum btw, no one seems to watch the videos in my other post showing how good this amp is for metal and everything else
Quote by hardcoredarrell
thats a generic term for meaning, get a new speaker sometime in the future for it chum btw, no one seems to watch the videos in my other post showing how good this amp is for metal and everything else

Did you have the 'relevance' part of your brain removed? I was saying that just because there is no celestion speaker doesn't mean that it's incapable of being gigged...yes, a speaker change will make the amp better, but it's not too much of a limiting factor.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Page 1 of 2