Page 1 of 2
i'm calling in a favor:

i'm putting together a mix tape, and i'd like to add some new stuff that i might not be too familiar with myself. the theme for it is slow moving somber songs. i'm not really looking for anything like bright eyes or elliot smith. i more looking for songs that are layered and depend on atmospheric dynamics.

that might be a lot to ask, but any help is appreciated.

if it helps at all, some songs i am considering are

spiritualized - ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space

radiohead - let down
Last edited by starsnostars at Oct 15, 2007,
CRAWLING IN MY SKIN!!!
But seriously, try Everything We Had by The Academy Is... if you want something mellow and depressing.

Oh, and try the pop-punk and emo section next time.
not a fan of pop punk or emo, and i would never put anything of such on a mix. thanks for the effort though.
Mineral are an emo band really but they are quite similar to some indie bands, their album Endserenading fits the bill pretty nicely.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Quote by IcePh0enix
CRAWLING IN MY SKIN!!!
But seriously, try Everything We Had by The Academy Is... if you want something mellow and depressing.

Oh, and try the pop-punk and emo section next time.

hahahahahahahaha

anyway, the major song that comes to mind is "untitled 8" by sigur ros. that seems to fit the criteria
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
thom yorks solo stuff maybe
sunny day real estate
the silversun pickups first album pikul is really emotional if you'd want to give that a try
maybe try some sigur ros
some of my morning jackets stuff is really sad and quite encompassing in an atmosperic sort of way, especialy At Dawn
my bloody valentine
low
leonard cohen
obvious i know but theres always joy division
jeremy enigk
jeff buckley
cat power
the black heart procession

and i dont know if i think of some more i'll put them down, hopefully this is helpful to you man.
Some Red House Painters would probably be good; maybe Doveman, Young Galaxy, Alias (his instrumental stuff anyway), Múm or even a bit of trip-hop a lá Massive Attack, etc.
XIU XIU - SUHA, APISTAT COMMANDER, FABULOUS MUSCLES

xiu xiu's cover of fast car always makes me want to die.
Two words:

Sigur Ros

Check out Svefn g englar and Avalon off of their first album. But they specialize in somber, atmospheric music.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Two words:

Sigur Ros

Check out Svefn g englar and Avalon off of their first album. But they specialize in somber, atmospheric music.

those are off their second album, von was their first

i've been a fan since 2001, and have seen them twice.

but again thanks everyone for the input.

Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Pretty much all Xiu Xiu is wrist cuttable.

Quote by starsnostars
those are off their second album, von was their first

i've been a fan since 2001, and have seen them twice.

but again thanks everyone for the input.

Well, if you want to be really pedantic about it, Ágætis byrjun was actually their third album, but it's often identified as their first since it was their first international release. But whatever, you get the point.
Hi, I'm Peter
i wouldn't really count the remix album- but i didn't mean to come off as an ass or anything. just that was the second or third sigur ros recommendation, and i didn't want this to turn into people telling me about bands i am very familiar with.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I think anything involving Xiu Xiu should have some form of the color pink involved.

Pretty much all Xiu Xiu is wrist cuttable.

Agreed. At least on the first count. Don't reckon I'm too suicidal.
"Lose My Breath" by My Bloody Valentine. Or pretty much anything by My Bloody Valentine.

But that's basically a given.

Autolux, specifically "Sugarless," "Great Days For The Passenger Element," and "Plantlife." You know those songs that kind of swirl around you as you absorb yourself in them? Well these are some of those songs.

Orrrr maybe "Sleepy Silver Door" by Dead Meadow. It's over seven minutes of fuzzy distorted bliss.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Last edited by K-Lizzle at Oct 16, 2007,
i'm not sure if these are what you want but:

adam gnade - so long darling it no use (i think this could be right. spoken word meets 'post rock' about smack addicts fucking. etc.)
the twilight sad - and she would darken the memory
some yndi halda maybe. kinda naff though i guess.
your enemies friends - your enemies are your enemies friends
65daysofstatic - twentyfourtwelve (its off the first cut-up cd, so i dunno how hard it is to come by these days)
moss icon - cricketty rise
julie - untitled
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by starsnostars
i wouldn't really count the remix album- but i didn't mean to come off as an ass or anything. just that was the second or third sigur ros recommendation, and i didn't want this to turn into people telling me about bands i am very familiar with.

oops.

"creep" by radiohead is a good tune X_x

actually, how about sufjan stevens? although chances are you either already like/hate him, he has quite a few sad tunes: "the upper peninsula" and "casimir pulaski day" come to mind

last.fm
Ooh, I thought of a few more.

"Schoolbooks" by Fields. The harmonies are amazing and the way the melody builds up, stops, and builds up again is enthralling.

"Red Hot Drops" by Chad VanGaalen. Well, up until the weird electro-breakdown at about the 2:25 mark. Before that it's just a swirling glissade of wonderfulness.

"Batten Down The Hatch," "When It's All Over We Still Have To Clear Up," and "Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking" by Snow Patrol. These songs sound nothing like their generic, sappy new stuff, so don't judge them.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Last edited by K-Lizzle at Oct 16, 2007,
Yeah, but if you are going to buy a Xiu Xiu album, you should let it be Fabulous Muscles first. Or Knife Play. Or A Promise. Or The Air Force. But NOT La Foret. Haha.

Well, they are all good. You may want to check them out a little before purchasing though, they aren't for everyone. It took me a while to come around to it.

Also, Starsnostars, post your final track list when you are done.
Quote by K-Lizzle

"Schoolbooks" by Fields. The harmonies are amazing and the way the melody builds up, stops, and builds up again is enthralling.

I love that song so much!

Slowdive - Machine Gun
iLiKETRAiNS - We All Fall Down, Remnants of an Army, Come Over, No Military Parade and to a lesser extent anything else they've ever written.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Yeah, but if you are going to buy a Xiu Xiu album, you should let it be Fabulous Muscles first. Or Knife Play. Or A Promise. Or The Air Force. But NOT La Foret. Haha.

Well, they are all good. You may want to check them out a little before purchasing though, they aren't for everyone. It took me a while to come around to it.

Yeah I know, its just something inclined me to put all of the albums on my wishlist and I found 'La Foret' in stores. So before I actually decided to buy it, I checked it out and I didn't care all too much for what I was hearing. But you can't always get the best impression from a little clip either.

I'll check out the other albums for sure.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus

i was planning on it. might be a week or so though, because i'm going to be out of town for the next few days (going to chicago to see ween). right now, i'm listening to the tracks that everyone has suggested, and deciding what flows right. with most mixes, i try to build it up almost like a story, rather than throwing a bunch of songs on a cd. i know that sounds pretentious, but i want to keep the listener interested.
Quote by starsnostars
i was planning on it. might be a week or so though, because i'm going to be out of town for the next few days (going to chicago to see ween). right now, i'm listening to the tracks that everyone has suggested, and deciding what flows right. with most mixes, i try to build it up almost like a story, rather than throwing a bunch of songs on a cd. i know that sounds pretentious, but i want to keep the listener interested.
That is pretentious? I've always done that.

Hahaha.
because of people on this board name calling everyone and everything pretentious, i just thought i'd cover my back.
Quote by starsnostars
because of people on this board name calling everyone and everything pretentious, i just thought i'd cover my back.

you is such a pretentious poser. god. i can't believe it.

i really have nothing much to contribute as far as the track listing goes at this moment, but i would like to see what you come up with in the end.
a few weeks ago, i think you were a neighbor of mine on lastfm, so remember that while you are (jokingly) calling me pretentious.
Quote by starsnostars
a few weeks ago, i think you were a neighbor of mine on lastfm, so remember that while you are (jokingly) calling me pretentious.

doesn't shock me.
you silly hipster kids, go listen to your stereo head and your sonic youths. i'll be in the back listening to led zeppelin like a real man.

last.fm
i would have to say some of My Chemical Romance's new album The Black Parade, they set it upto sound more like an orchestra than a band and it turned out to be an extremeely good cd.
Quote by starsnostars
xiu xiu's cover of fast car always makes me want to die.

Every xiu xiu cover has made me want to slit my wrists. Horrible band.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
adam gnade - so long darling it no use (i think this could be right. spoken word meets 'post rock' about smack addicts fucking. etc.)
65daysofstatic - twentyfourtwelve (its off the first cut-up cd, so i dunno how hard it is to come by these days)

Heard the collaboration EP they've just done?
Excellent it be.

As for recommendations, Jandek, early Deerhoof (like 'Dirt pirate creed' stuff), Eno, Moebius & Roedelius 'Broken head' (one of my favourite Eno songs), Black Box Recorder's 'It's only the end of the world', and sticking to the same subject matter, 'So you'd like to save the world' by Lloyd Cole.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Page 1 of 2