Page 1 of 2
well, in a few weeks i am going to go out and purchase a new half stack, the only problem is...what kind??
i am going to be gigging alot so i need an amp with a lot of wattage and has a lot of power. im lookin to spend 1000$ and down
effects can be decent...im not huge on effects.
so if anyone had some good suggestions plz post!!
Half stacks make for beter distortion. **** OD. If you play metal you NEED a half stack, if not a full. I really like Marshall MG's. It's affordable too
if you want a stack, then a classic 30 head, and a 2x12 cab

EDIT:
Quote by zeppelin470
Half stacks make for beter distortion. **** OD. If you play metal you NEED a half stack, if not a full. I really like Marshall MG's. It's affordable too

dont listen to him. I know people that gig 2x12 combos that have 100 times better tone for metal than MG's. Half stacks arent ALWAYS better for distortion, check out a 5150 combo and that beehive MG halfstack. Not only will the 5150 be louder, it will sound better louder. oh btw my Marshall gets pretty metal by itself with a humbucker equiped guiter, and its a combo and i wouldnt think twice about it. sound > size.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Last edited by ssguitar at Oct 15, 2007,
well it depends on what type of metal, but a peavey 6505 is pretty much the ultimate metal amp, that is if your willing to sacrifice some cleans. definatly go all tube though. oh by the way, you said you wanted alot of power, the 6505s have 120 watts which is plenty. othewise mesas are great if your willing to spend a little more.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
b52 at212
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Quote by zeppelin470

sigged
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
You don't really need a half stack you know. Maybe a Peavey Classic 30?

but if i said i was going to be gigging?
a half stack is perfect for gigging
i just got a vox ad100vt, and it's really versatile, all styles of music sound good through it.

if you must get a half stack, look at the vox ad100vth. if you're willing to spend more, look at orange.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by berysLTD_h-50

30 watt tube combos are loud enough to gig with, btw.

EDIT: The only halfstack i would own in that range for straight up power would be the windsor, and a 1960A marshall cab

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Why do people have this image of halfstacks being perfect for everything?

I could gig with an AC30 combo unmiced.
Ben
^ they never played a tube amp

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by berysLTD_h-50

So is a classic 30. An MG half stack is not perfect for gigging btw.
^ +1

*waits on slats*
>
>
>
*grabs a coke*
<
<
<
*leaves thread*

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by berysLTD_h-50

well, the right half stack is perfect for gigging.
but so is the right combo, for that matter.

imo, there really isnt much use for a solid state half stack.

the only advantage of a half stack, might be, that the weight of the amp is split. so even tho there is more to carry, each part is lighter.

with that said, there are some really nice tube amps, heads and combos in ur price range, new and used. just dont jump on the first mg or crate that passes by.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by ssguitar

dont listen to him. I know people that gig 2x12 combos that have 100 times better tone for metal than MG's. Half stacks arent ALWAYS better for distortion, check out a 5150 combo and that beehive MG halfstack. Not only will the 5150 be louder, it will sound better louder. oh btw my Marshall gets pretty metal by itself with a humbucker equiped guiter, and its a combo and i wouldnt think twice about it. sound > size.

^^+1

This is exactly the problem with half-stacks; the manufacturers know that naive little kids are going to save up and buy their Super MGSpiderBlaster Hybrid 7000 X, just because it looks cool. It's dodgy marketing, and it means that instead of having a real, dynamic and responsive tone, your guitar sounds like a tramp taking a piss into a box of cornflakes.

I gigged in a heavy rock band for two years using a beaten-up little 15W Fender Blues Junior, and it sounded better than any of the ENGLs, H&Ks and Marshalls i encountered along the way. That happened because those little glowing bottles in the back actually ot a chance to do some real work instead of idling around at quarter volume.

So, unless you're planning on playing some massive festivals without being mic'd up, take advantage of some of the great little tube combos you can get so cheap now. Your ears - and your arms- will thank you for it!
Quote by kyle62
^^+1

This is exactly the problem with half-stacks; the manufacturers know that naive little kids are going to save up and buy their Super MGSpiderBlaster Hybrid 7000 X, just because it looks cool. It's dodgy marketing, and it means that instead of having a real, dynamic and responsive tone, your guitar sounds like a tramp taking a piss into a box of cornflakes.

I gigged in a heavy rock band for two years using a beaten-up little 15W Fender Blues Junior, and it sounded better than any of the ENGLs, H&Ks and Marshalls i encountered along the way. That happened because those little glowing bottles in the back actually ot a chance to do some real work instead of idling around at quarter volume.

So, unless you're planning on playing some massive festivals without being mic'd up, take advantage of some of the great little tube combos you can get so cheap now. Your ears - and your arms- will thank you for it!

haha. I want a smaller wattaged amp so i can crank it. i cant get my amp past 5 on the 50 watt setting

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by zeppelin470

Threads like these make me laugh.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ i didnt laugh...i cried becuase people cant use the search function!

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
^ i didnt laugh...i cried becuase people cant use the search function!

Haha, true enough!

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i tried to help the guy and if he dont listen to reason then he'll have to learn the hard way (like i did) and lose a bunch of money

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
they want someoen to go "OMGZ TEH MGZ IZ TEH 733T!!!"

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Man i wanted to sig that..beat me to it ?
squire strat
MG 15
Spider 30

i am useless + i phail
Quote by Roc8995
So is a classic 30. An MG half stack is not perfect for gigging btw.

MG half stacks aren't even good to throw away...they make the garbage look good.

With $1,100 I got a Mesa Boogie F-100 head and B-52 LG400 cab. No one on this site would call that a bad setup, not the best, but a ****ton better than an MG, Spider, or Valvetronix stack.

Go tube, or high quality ss (randalls) if you're really wanting the halfstack look.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by zeppelin470

This guy's gotta be a ****in troll
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Quote by ldnovelo
dude, get a used 5150 and there you have

+1 Good recommendation
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by muffinman123192
Dude, Slats is going to rip you a new one when he comes in here...

I don't have the energy to respond to this thread. There's good advice in here, and some damn scary advice, too.

TS, if you think you NEED a halfstack, you're probably going to wind up with a crappy amp.

That's all I got.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Wow, Slats, your reputation and wisdom precedes you.

TS, get a Spider halfstack if you want. You'll hate yourself once you develop an ear for tone, but if you won't take everyone's advice, you'll learn eventually anyway.
check out some peavey products if your looking for a half stack and your budget is 1000
Quote by kyle62
^^+1

That's all opinion though, and also based on situation. If I'm gonna be playing some reggae, or jack johnson, I want some great cleans, and a 15 watter will not cut it at gigging volumes. Likewise, if I were playing some RHCP, then some powertube OD is great. Powertube OD isn't for everyone.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by zeppelin470

Either he's joking or this is the most stupid post ever.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Page 1 of 2