Maybe you might see where im trying to get too.

Rock is probally the most broadest term term used to describe a music genre. But, when someone says they listen to rock they mean led zeppelin, ted nugent. But, too modern terms its any "rock" song played on the radio.

I find the term rock is used to "lighten" terms. Like I was at some fancy guitar store just to check it out. And the dude came up to me and asked me what kinda music i like. Of course i say "Rock," cuz im not gonna say "oh cmon man, punk and hardcore all the way" and look like a fag or dick. I also tend to use it when my dad asks me what kinda of music i like when he barges in my room when he can hear the music in the other room.

Anyway, I just wanta know what you hip dudes are considering "rock" to be nowadays.

By the way don't give me crap for what i thin k, i just wanta hear yo opinion.
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII ain’t got no respect!
For people that are politically correct
Quote by stuportrooper
Maybe you might see where im trying to get too.

Rock is probally the most broadest term term used to describe a music genre. But, when someone says they listen to rock they mean led zeppelin, ted nugent. But, too modern terms its any "rock" song played on the radio.

I find the term rock is used to "lighten" terms. Like I was at some fancy guitar store just to check it out. And the dude came up to me and asked me what kinda music i like. Of course i say "Rock," cuz im not gonna say "oh cmon man, punk and hardcore all the way" and look like a fag or dick. I also tend to use it when my dad asks me what kinda of music i like when he barges in my room when he can hear the music in the other room.

Anyway, I just wanta know what you hip dudes are considering "rock" to be nowadays.

By the way don't give me crap for what i thin k, i just wanta hear yo opinion.

Yet you'll give crap to other people for what they think?
man i no im gonna look like a fag or a dick.....but its just the lightest term in music period. u really cant say "i listen to just rock" u have to say "i listen to classic rock, or 80s hair bands or hardcore or melodic death metal" that is, if u want some1 to no exactly what u listen to. btw i listen to heavy metal, hardcore and death metal
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Gays aren't discriminated against, they just can't get married, big ****ing deal.
when i say rock, i'm talkin 'bout the classics, ac/dc, aerosmith, ted nugent, led zepplin, the who, jimi hendrix,blue oyster cult, the grateful dead, etc... i hate how there terms have been broken down so much. i liked it when all we has was, blues jazz, rock, metal. not all the alternative, classic, death metal, hair, melodic deth grunge, punk ,emo , new age,

why so many names for the same thing!!!!!!!??????????
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
well its not like if someone listens to one specific genre of rock (melodic death metal for example), they wont just say, I listen to only melodic death metal, because chances are, they listen to a lot more than just melodic death metal. Like me, I listen to all kinds of rock, classic, modern, metal, nu-metal, punk, hardcore, screamo, whatever you wanna call it,

but if someone asks me what I listen to, I'm not gonna list off all this, so I just say, rock.
So I guess ... who cares just say I listen to stuff better that what you listen to when someone ask.
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
Don't people know that Rock N' Roll in the beginning was a mix of of old style black Rhythm and Blues and white country music
Quote by stuportrooper
"oh cmon man, punk and hardcore all the way" and look like a fag or dick.

Why would you look like a "fag" or dick?
Quote by lachyray
do you reckon straight edge people ever get temped to drink alcahole,
when really want to but they know they can't so they just dont?
Rock is a naturally occurring aggregate of minerals and/or mineraloids. The Earth's lithosphere is made of rock. In general rocks are of three types, namely, igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by sebastian_96
Rock is a naturally occurring aggregate of minerals and/or mineraloids. The Earth's lithosphere is made of rock. In general rocks are of three types, namely, igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic.

This actually made me laugh. Alot.
This is how it works for me.

In broad terms rock is a genre. As is jazz, pop, soul, hip hop, funk etc.

Rock is split up into sub genres:

Punk, Grunge, Metal (and its sub genres) etc.

These genres all came from rock.

Its sort of like a tree of evolution:

Classical -> jazz -> pop -> rock (and then its sub genres came from it, punk in 70s, metal in 80s, alternative rock in the 90s)

Though in cases some of these genres did not just come from rock etc. funk rock.
They come from other genres of music as well. It's just mixing and matching.

EDIT: its very confusing and its debatable were each genre originated. You would really need to research it.
Last edited by str84ever at Oct 21, 2007,