Hey, I've been playing bass (teaching myself) for about a year and a half now and I've been using a Squier P-Bass. Basically I'm pretty unsatisfied with it. Slaps and pops sound like **** on it and it's just not as fun to play as some of the Ibanezes I've played. What would be a good cheap bass for me to get that can be used for a lot of different styles? I'm considering 5-strings too.
epiphones are good for the price. and so are yamaha. although five strings are a bit pricier.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
^^^123 you need you go to the store and play stuff

IMO, LTD's (though they can get a wee bit pricy) and GENERALY good basses, tone-wise and playability
also, ibanez are quality for the price (even the starter models)

at thycrusader: i've never gotten a good tone out of a yamaha, what have you been playing?

oh, and as for 5ers (IMO) if you're gonna get the low B, you might as well have the high C.
just go for the 6er, man it'll open up so so so so much more chordaly and melodicaly in your playing
Quote by Deliriumbassist
go and try some basses. YOU need to feel comfortable with it, so try many in your price range. It's the only way you'll find a bass good for you. Asking other people's opinions will only get you basses that THEY get on with.

Can I get an Amen from the choir?

And for the love of all that's bass, can we get this chiseled into stone on a FAQ sticky somewhere, please??? Pretty Please???
Quote by anarkee
And for the love of all that's bass, can we get this chiseled into stone on a FAQ sticky somewhere, please??? Pretty Please???

Hmmm... funny you should mention that...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.