My friend believes that a fretless will have infinite sustain after watching a Steve Vai solo. This is the video he's talking about (at 1:57) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbAi7fa2yZo

It got me thinking though, doesn't Vai use a Fernades sustainer for stuff like that? Or do fretless guitars really have that much sustain? I figured they don't but I never played one before.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
I'm pretty sure Vai does have a sustainer that he uses sometimes. And about fretless giving more sustain, I would think that it could, since less energy is consumed when rubbing against the fret but im not sure.
nah, fretless guitars dont have infinite sustain. its the Fernades sustainer hes using.
Vai is using a sustainer. Fretless will give better sustain, but they are really, really hard to get to come out right from what I understand.
Fret less guitars actually get much less sustain in my experience. I have one, and since the string goes from the board to your fingers instead of the board to the metal, your finger being much more soft, the sustain is reduced significantly. On the other hand, you can vibrato for all eternity and sustain for a very long time like that, but vai isnt doing that.
i know nothing atall about fretless guitars..but i think your right about the sustain pedal....it looks like he's messin with somethin on the floor a bit before that sexy(est) part of the song you were talkin about..

thats all i got

UG's HIPPIE
Quote by Gitter_Wizard
Fret less guitars actually get much less sustain in my experience. I have one, and since the string goes from the board to your fingers instead of the board to the metal, your finger being much more soft, the sustain is reduced significantly. On the other hand, you can vibrato for all eternity and sustain for a very long time like that, but vai isnt doing that.

That's exactly what I was thinking. My friend doesn't know what a fernandes sustainer is so he probably thought that was all the fretless.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab