my first "good" bass lesson

i jsut got back wanted to see if you guys think this is worth $75 a month

when i first signed up he asked me to think abou twhat i wanted from the lessons.

so the first 15 mins was spent talking about lessons, my taste and what i wanted.
we came to get that i am going to learn intermidiate theory for now advanced later, set ups and mantenince, technical playing and notation.

then what i actually learned today was: he asked me if i knew shapes and such and chords and all that jazz, i played what i know a little bit of each.

i knew the shape of a basic magor scale.

he exanded on that and showed me a full double octave scale what notes to switch positions on and what fingers to use ( i had the gist of it to begin with) and an arpeggio from that scale (in Gmaj and Cmaj)

G|-------------------------------------9--10--12--|
D|--------------------7--9--10--12----------------|
A|---------7--8--10--------------------------------|
E| 8--10--------------------------------------------|

and back down for these 2

G|---------------9--12--17--|
D|-----------10---------------|
A|---7--10--------------------|
E|-8---------------------------| 

once i got those down (nnot vrrry long)

he wrote out and explained the order of sharps (circle of 5ths) and flats(circle of 4ths)

then by this time the lesson sis done and he says i think you can handle it learn this scale and arppegios for the oprder of sharps and if your up to it flats.

and here i sit with a week to learn the circle of 5ths and forths in

C G D A E B F# C#
and
C F B flat E flat A flat D flat G flat C flat

was this a good worth the money lesson?

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I can't really understand what you're saying. How long was your lesson? Did you like your teacher? (As in: was he an arrogant prick, did he seem knowledgeable etc.) Did you feel you learnt a lot? Do you feel you can learn a lot given more lessons? We can't tell you if the lesson was worth it. Only you have ever had this guy and can tell us. (Or me mostly if my teacher does what he threatens and takes off a year to shed ) Also I don't really understand what you have for homework. Does he just want you to learn the scales for each of those keys? That's not actually that much work, even with the arpeggios thrown in there. That's about 30 minutes to do an okay job and an hour, hour and a half to do a good job.
yea.... i liked him he wasnt a prick, he knows what he is talking about, i feel like i learned alot and will to come... and yea i know thats not alot for home work but im not gonn awaste my whole lesson memorizing the things in each key.... half an hour lessons

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Last edited by Narcotics at Oct 15, 2007,
Well, you like him, you learnt a lot, and you don't see the merit in memorizing keys the basis of any kind of more advanced theory. Who's the problem in this little duo? As a judgement I pay $100 a month for hour lessons, so you pay 1.5x as much. My teacher is a very cheap teacher comparing him to anyone so you are paying about the right amount.
Quote by Narcotics
yea.... i liked him he wanted a prick, he knows what he is talking about, i feel like i learned alot and will to come... and yea i know thats not alot for home work but im not gonn awaste my whole lesson memorizing the things in each key.... half an hour lessons

Are you sure this man was a bass instructor, and not a homosexual child molester?
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
lmfao my bad

Quote by pigmaggots
If you liked him and learnt something then it was good.

Although, i'm pretty sure you could of got all that information by googling ;]

Untrue. You can never learn something as thoroughly by googling than by a real person. It just doesn't work.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Untrue. You can never learn something as thoroughly by googling than by a real person. It just doesn't work.

Most importantly, then can tell you "You are a moron, you are doing it wrong." well, you get my drift.
i think you're getting a good deal, he's getting right down to it and giving you really important stuff from the start (took me 4 years to find a teacher to do that)

also, the stuff he's giving you (and prolly will give you soon) will make your playing/writeing 10X better.

i hope he's giving you finger excersizes and telling you to practice with a metronome... if he's not. do it, or else you'll progress mentaly, but not in your fingers.
Use your own judgment like jazz implied. If you enjoyed your lesson and learnt from it then yes, it was worth it.
signature