Wanting to get a new cab, id rather get a 4x12 as they are bigger and look better imo, but would i be better off with a 2x12? would a 4x12 be ok for playing in my room? (i dont play at whisper volumes or anything lol)
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
what amp are you playing?

i personally perfer a 2x12 to a 4x12. they look sexier to me, cheaper, and at least 20lbs lighter than it's 4x12 counterpart.

of course, if you need more/crazy low end, a 4x12 would do better, but a 2x12 has plenty of low-end for me.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
like asked, what head, and which cab?

(any chance ull be out of bedroom any time soon?)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
its a Randall RH50T tube head. Well i do plan to gig at some point, thats why I went with a tube head

EDIT: and I was considering a G3 randall cab, either 4x12 or 2x12. was going to replace stock speakers for vintage 30's (4x12 comes with jaguars and 2x12 comes with celestion custom 80's)
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by serbusfish
its a Randall RH50T tube head. Well i do plan to gig at some point, thats why I went with a tube head

EDIT: and I was considering a G3 randall cab, either 4x12 or 2x12. was going to replace stock speakers for vintage 30's (4x12 comes with jaguars and 2x12 comes with celestion custom 80's)

I think 2x12 would be fine for a bedroom. If you start gigging it'll be enough for small venues and all the places where it's not would probably have a PA, amirite?
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
It doesn't make an huge difference between a 2x12 vs. a 4x12 volume wise, but the presence of 4x12s make them less appealing for bedroom use.

4x12s are going to put out sound in 2-3 directions (top half of front, bottom half of front, possible rear bass port) compared to 1 of a 2x12. 4x12s are going to have more bottom end, which might kill your ability to cut up the volume a little bit higher. 4x12s aren't as focused as 2x12s. A 2x12 is going to have a much tighter feel, less boomy, and save your back.

Price wise, a good 2x12 is about the same as a crappy 4x12.

Depending on your amps master/channel volume controls as to how dynamic your amp feels will have quite a bit to do with your tone as well. My Mesa RK with both master and channel volume controls has a much more tubelike tone at low volumes than my F-100 which sounds completely awful at near 0, but outstanding once the master is pushed over the hump between too quiet and obscenely loud.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Oct 15, 2007,
A good 2x12 will be just almost as loud, more portable, tighter, and less compensating than most 2x12s. But that's me.

PS, V30s are great speakers, but expensive to fill a cab with. You'll cut that cost in half with a 2x12.
My mesa 2x12 has a ton of punch and bass no matter if I've got my Roadster or Hot Rod Deluxe plugged into it. 4x12 cabs have a little too much bass for my taste and most tend to get muddy to my ears.
ok i think im going to get a 2x12 then, although im not sure which to go for atm, id rather get a randall to match the head, but someone has recommended me a marshall 1936V 2x12 which comes with V30's, costs £269, whilst a randall 2x12 with +V30's will set me back £499. I guess I could get a cheaper randall 2x12 from the G3 series and stick celestions in it, that would only cost me around £310 in total to do, thoughts?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
^I'd still go with the Marshall. It's probably built better than those low-end G3 cabs. Build quality also has an effect on your tone.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
it will be loud either way, a 4x12 will be a little louder and project more, but it's not going to be night and day. I personally prefer the sound of a 4x12, I like the lowend end response and overall sound they project.

If weight is the issue, unless you're trying to haul it around yourself, I don't think it's that big of a deal. How many times are you going to be moving it around in your house? If you're playing out, you have band mates that can help you carry it, there are handles on each side of any 4x12 cab.

If budget is the limiting factor, a good 2x12 always beats a cheaply built 4x12, so you're stuck there.

I would play as many as you can in different shops before you decide on one or the other, and get an idea for yourself if you have a preference. There's a big aversion on this forum to 4x12's just out of principle, but almost every metal band I've seen live uses them, which I assume is what you play. Most of those bands record with them too, so it's not just an image thing. That includes a lot of rock bands too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Get a 2x12, it's lighter, cheaper, and a lot more practical than a 4x12. You could get an avatar 2x12 with V30s for $350-400.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
I have Peavey Windsor into a 2x12, and I finally got to turn it up to THREE at band practice yesterday. I even have two of the power tubes pulled too.

I say a 2x12. I've played shows with tons of guitarists and the dudes with 2x12's seem to be the ones with the best tone. One dude we played with had a Dual Recto going into a Mesa 2x12 and it sounded fantastic. If you plan on gigging, it more than likely means you're planning on playing with a bassist. In a band scenario, trust me, you WANT the bassist to pull his weight. In my opinion, a 4x12 would have too much bottom end and take the focus away from the mids and highs, which is what you're there to create.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by serbusfish
ok i think im going to get a 2x12 then, although im not sure which to go for atm, id rather get a randall to match the head, but someone has recommended me a marshall 1936V 2x12 which comes with V30's, costs £269, whilst a randall 2x12 with +V30's will set me back £499. I guess I could get a cheaper randall 2x12 from the G3 series and stick celestions in it, that would only cost me around £310 in total to do, thoughts?

Framus 2x12 from Thomann. £210 pretty much, 2x Celestion V30 and great build quality.

If you wanna skimp on a cab you could get the Harley Benton 212 Vintage from thomann, contains 2x Celestion V30 but is quite flimsily constructed at £130.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I sold my 412's because I found a 212 that's clearer and punchier with more bass than either of them were. I rid myself of a Marshall 1960A and a Mesa in exchange for a G-Flex.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I was a huge 4X12 (Marshall 1960B) fan til the last year when I picked up a Mojave 2X12 & a Tone Tubby 2X12. Either of those 2X12s sound better IMO than the big Marshall cab (& I've loved my Marshall cab for years). The main advantage of the 2X12s are ease of moving (just try to hoist a 4X12 into a small car trunk a few times without f#@king it up). Also, you can buy an additional 2X12 later like I did, & you can space them apart & angle them for optimal projection.
When you test your cabs, be sure to listen right in front of the cones to hear the real trebles, & be sure that's the sound you want to project.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
im definatly sold on a 2x12, and i could always buy a extra one if i needed to, think im gonna get a randall cab and swap out the speakers (that is if they suck of course)
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
why not get the cheaper marshall cab with v30s if you're going with v30s anyway? it's quite possible the build quality, which does have a big impact on tone, is better on the marshall.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Maybe an Orange 2x12 instead of Marshall. Despite having the same speakers I find Orange cabs to sound much fuller and warmer.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio