any tips? i need to grow my nails out, but at least i have time, i won't get the guitar until Christmas...

which leads me to another point, are cutaway classical guitars worse than normal ones? i was just wondering because it will be hard to hit those high notes...

also, i've not developed a good pitch yet, and will need to tune the guitar with a tuner until i do. is this a good one?

i've loved classical ever since i can remember. it's like it's in my blood, i've just never tried to learn it. i'm decent at electric and i've been playing for 2 years but i've suddenly wanted to play classical and i've always wanted an acoustic of some sorts...

thanks for all and any comments.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
hey the tuner looks fine
i dont kno if u do or not already, but you're gona wanna start finger-picking if you havent, other than that, good luck
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
That's actually the same tuner I own, and I find it works great. It's pretty percisce[sp], and it actually picks up chords too. It also plays tones for when you want to get used to tuning by pitch.

Yeah, defenately get used to fingerstyle. Check out Blackbird by The Beatles and some more basic classical stuff like Bouree in Em (Bach). Should work out fine on an elec until you get your classical guitar. Some of the stuff won't be as easily fretable as on a classical, but you can start getting your base technique down while you grow out your nails.
Thanks for the help guys.

What would a good classical guitar be? i looked in the acoustic sections, but they didn't have any classical guitars, specifically.

This one looks good and apparently has good tone for the price.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
i'd suggest that if you are truly wanting to be a classical guitarist, and not just play classical songs, that you stop playing immediatly and dont touch a guitar until you get an instuctor, seeing as everything you think you know about how to play a guitar is probably wrong in the eyes of a classical guitarist hahah. seriously, its very very different than casually playing, and learning completly on your own is pretty much impossible to do with half decent technique.

if you're not concerned about learning real technique and you just want to tinker around with some classical songs, go to classtab.org and start browsing.

and what the hell, learn blackbird? im sorry but thats a pretty ridiculous suggestion for someone who wants to learn classical hahah. just start off with some basic, REAL classical songs hahah.

good luck.

edit: as far as a guitar goes, getting a guitar without a cutaway will get you a much nicer product for less money. i suggest that you look into alhambra and other companies that are imported from spain. and of course, play before you buy.
Last edited by Nick B at Oct 16, 2007,
Quote by Nick B
i'd suggest that if you are truly wanting to be a classical guitarist, and not just play classical songs, that you stop playing immediatly and dont touch a guitar until you get an instuctor, seeing as everything you think you know about how to play a guitar is probably wrong in the eyes of a classical guitarist hahah. seriously, its very very different than casually playing, and learning completly on your own is pretty much impossible to do with half decent technique.

if you're not concerned about learning real technique and you just want to tinker around with some classical songs, go to classtab.org and start browsing.

and what the hell, learn blackbird? im sorry but thats a pretty ridiculous suggestion for someone who wants to learn classical hahah. just start off with some basic, REAL classical songs hahah.

good luck.

edit: as far as a guitar goes, getting a guitar without a cutaway will get you a much nicer product for less money. i suggest that you look into alhambra and other companies that are imported from spain. and of course, play before you buy.

Great post. Seriously, TS, a teacher is essential in classical guitar. Tell your parents that you are serious about learning and hopefully you will be able to get one. Also, don't dive into the hard stuff straight away, huge beginner mistake.
Actually I happened to learn well on my own, and fine-tuned it with the help of a techer later on with not much flaws. LOL! But it was a matter of discipline and luck, which not everyone might be willing to go through. Hence, a GOOD CLASSICAL guitar teacher is essential and will save you tons of time and headaches.

As mentioned time and again, be a classical guitarist and not a guitarist who plays classical pieces. A world of difference.
btw, how long should it take to grow my fingers to a good "classical" length? is there anything i can eat/put on my nails to make them grow faster?

Thanks.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Quote by Nick B

If you don't know any fingerstyle, it's a great introduction. I won't argue that if you're really into classical, then playing classical tunes is probably best, but I don't see that it's as rediculious a suggestion as you're making it out to be.

and +1 to getting a teacher.
Last edited by Garou1911 at Oct 16, 2007,