Zombie Autopilot by Unearth. Using fake emg's, ernie ball strings through an ibanez RG2EX2. It's not a terrible rig but it's not the greatest. It sounds okay.

I checked all kinds of videos online, and my amp's built in tuner. They all say I'm in perfect standard-E tuning which is the tuning set to the tab I'm reading.

And somehow, it feels a CRAPLOAD different.

I know Zombie Autopilot is played on a 7 string, and I'm on a 6, but it's not just with this tab. It's any tab I ever play, the pitch of the notes I'm hitting sounds several steps below or above what I'm aiming for. What the hell am I doing wrong? I feel like a nub.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
it could be that the tab sucks, or maybe the intonation on your guitar is off.
Quote by mr.cheese..
Now I've got it! Masturbate in the mud while smoking weed!

Quote by darkstar2466
Meaning is not absolute.
There are quite a few places in Zombie Autopilot where they are harmonizing,,,so you might be playing one line,,but not hear it as predominately as you do the other guitar part.
Quote by dcfatso
mayb the tabs have a capo idk or u suck

Maybe you should fuck off.

Link to the tab? Generally 7-string songs tabbed on a 6-string aren't in standard. It wouldn't make sense.
Quote by Ishiga
... but it's not just with this tab. It's any tab I ever play, the pitch of the notes I'm hitting sounds several steps below or above what I'm aiming for. What the hell am I doing wrong? I feel like a nub.

If it was just that one song, it could be the tab. But since you said your guitar always sounds out of pitch, there are a couple things that could be wrong. It could be capo but I doubt it. Its also possible that something is wrong with your strings and they are coming out of tune. Also, have you checked your tuning with something other than your amp's built in tuner? Perhaps the amp tuner is broken?

Finally, is this your first time to read tabs? Perhaps you are tune deaf? Just a possiblity....
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Last edited by algemar at Oct 15, 2007,
Maybe you should fuck off.

Link to the tab? Generally 7-string songs tabbed on a 6-string aren't in standard. It wouldn't make sense.

http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/u/unearth/zombie_autopilot_tab.htm

&& @ Algemar, I've successfully picked up songs through tabs before, just, VERY few. And there's always SOMETHING wrong that just doesn't match up with what the song actually sounds like played.

Intonation, I played it against the pitch of several tuning videos as well as an intellitouch PT1 tuner, and my amp's built in tuner. It also matches up with my acoustic and bc rich just fine. They're all in tune, that's the first thing I checked.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Link us to the tabs you're trying to read... If you're trying to play Unearth on a 6 string, that's reason enough for it to come out wrong. If you're just trying to play the solo, you'll find that in the beginning you'll never get the solo straight, you'll get the rhythm and note durations wrong etc. That's why Guitar Pro is so great.

My advice, link us to the tabs you're using, and make sure you only use tabs that have a good rating (as many stars as possible, less than 4 stars is bad), but be critical as well - even 5 star tabs can be wrong.
I'm a communist. Really.
did you check ur intonation?

fret ur guitar at the 12th. see if it's in tune there.

(sorry if suggested already, i didnt see it)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Raziel2p
Link us to the tabs you're trying to read... If you're trying to play Unearth on a 6 string, that's reason enough for it to come out wrong. If you're just trying to play the solo, you'll find that in the beginning you'll never get the solo straight, you'll get the rhythm and note durations wrong etc. That's why Guitar Pro is so great.

My advice, link us to the tabs you're using, and make sure you only use tabs that have a good rating (as many stars as possible, less than 4 stars is bad), but be critical as well - even 5 star tabs can be wrong.

I get this same problem with 6 string songs as well. And, the tab I'm using is the highest rated for this particular song. The only better one is for just the solo. It starts off with what sounds similar to the pattern of the intro but still sounds way off.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/u/unearth/zombie_autopilot_tab.htm

&& @ Algemar, I've successfully picked up songs through tabs before, just, VERY few. And there's always SOMETHING wrong that just doesn't match up with what the song actually sounds like played.

Intonation, I played it against the pitch of several tuning videos as well as an intellitouch PT1 tuner, and my amp's built in tuner. It also matches up with my acoustic and bc rich just fine. They're all in tune, that's the first thing I checked.

Haha, sorry I didn't mean to often with my tune deaf comment, that was a joke.

But in seriousness, hm... If you know you are in tune.... Btw, when you say you know that something is wrong, do you mean it just sounds weired, or when you play along with music its off.

If you haven't tried playing along with music try it.

Also, check your intonation, (fret 12th fret and see if it matches)

Finally....go play something simple... like smells like teen spirit, tell us if its off?
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Tab sounds right. Keep in mind first section is mostly played on D-String.
Quote by algemar
Haha, sorry I didn't mean to often with my tune deaf comment, that was a joke.

But in seriousness, hm... If you know you are in tune.... Btw, when you say you know that something is wrong, do you mean it just sounds weired, or when you play along with music its off.

If you haven't tried playing along with music try it.

No offense taken, sorry if it sounded that way. :P

I've tried it over the actual song, it doesn't just sound weird. If it was just minorly off key, I'd know it was my tuning. But it sounds several steps out of whack, almost like it's a completely different sound, almost completely unrelated. Doesn't feel anywhere near the same level, or even close.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
I get this same problem with 6 string songs as well. And, the tab I'm using is the highest rated for this particular song. The only better one is for just the solo. It starts off with what sounds similar to the pattern of the intro but still sounds way off.

As far as I can tell, you're using the ASCII tabs (if you had GP or PT you wouldn't really have this problem), and they're both rated 3 stars. That's bad, really. I wouldn't try to learn songs if there weren't good tabs out there, unless I was capable of tabbing them myself.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Ishiga
No offense taken, sorry if it sounded that way. :P

I've tried it over the actual song, it doesn't just sound weird. If it was just minorly off key, I'd know it was my tuning. But it sounds several steps out of whack, almost like it's a completely different sound, almost completely unrelated. Doesn't feel anywhere near the same level, or even close.

Do you get that problem with every song? That it sounds completely out of whack?

btw check your intonation, someone mentioned it earlier.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Not every song, just most of them.

The only thing I can possibly think of is; EADGBE. That's how standard E-tuning goes. This goes from thickest to thinnest strings, right? It sounds alot closer when played on the G-string instead of D.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
Not every song, just most of them.

The only thing I can possibly think of is; EADGBE. That's how standard E-tuning goes. This goes from thickest to thinnest strings, right? It sounds alot closer when played on the G-string instead of D.

ER yeah... (thickets)E A D G B E (thinnest).

ER what do you mean by it sounds closer when played on the G instead of the D?

Also do me a favor and think, the songs you play that sound right, are they played say... closer to the head of the guitar, or closer to the body of the guitar?
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Quote by Raziel2p
As far as I can tell, you're using the ASCII tabs (if you had GP or PT you wouldn't really have this problem), and they're both rated 3 stars. That's bad, really. I wouldn't try to learn songs if there weren't good tabs out there, unless I was capable of tabbing them myself.

+1
The pitch of the song sounds in between what it sounds like when played on the D, and what it sounds like when played on the G.

It sounds closer to right when I play it 10p9p7-7~ on the G instead of 12p11p9-9~ on the D.

EDIT:

Ugh crap it'll probably sound better when I get better at shred.

Anyone know some good beginner shred stuff, anything that will get my fingers used to playing on their own?
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
The pitch of the song sounds in between what it sounds like when played on the D, and what it sounds like when played on the G.

It sounds closer to right when I play it 10p9p7-7~ on the G instead of 12p11p9-9~ on the D.

Ah ok, see that may be a result of harmonization in the tab. Like the tab puts it in harmony or w/e.

But i think more importantly right now is not this tab but your guitar in general. Cause if it goes out of whack alot then thats much more of a problem right?

I'm thinking it may have something to do with intonation, or possibly your electronics?

Have you checked your intonation yet? Can you do that for us? (fret the 12th fret/ocatave fret, and then check if its the same note as the open string). If its not here lies your problem

w/e I have to go so good luck. PM me if you still have trouble.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Intonation checks out just fine. I'm thinking there's just something I'm overlooking. I give, I'll give it a few more months before I try it again. Thanks anyways, I'll just look up some shred tutorials.

EDIT: Har. I feel dumb.

I wanted to give it one last run so I checked out a few lessons, one of them being harmonization.

They were talking about playing an octave higher. So I tried it.

Sounds right. A little off but that's most likely due to my tuning being a quarter or half step off, maybe less than that but just enough.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Last edited by Ishiga at Oct 15, 2007,
Quote by Ishiga

EDIT:

Ugh crap it'll probably sound better when I get better at shred.

Anyone know some good beginner shred stuff, anything that will get my fingers used to playing on their own?

Practicing is what took me... I've been playing 9 months, coming off of knowing absolutely nothing about guitars, and music in general whatsoever. Before, at 2 months, Iron man seemed impossible, but after you get used to the chords and fingerings (lol, shut up :P ), learn a song, then play the riffs you have trouble with, then master it. Then keep the song in your head, and memorize the whole song, so when you go to play it, you'll remember everything about it. Now, Iron Man is like, wow, I sucked back then. Move on to songs that are challenging to you, I mean like, you look at it and crap yourself. For example, 4 months back I started to learn Laid To Rest by Lamb of God. I was horrible at first, and I couldn't even play the first riffs until a few weeks later. I can now play that riff, after I warm up. Start out on baby steps then take it to the next level, that's what I do.

But go ahead don't listen to a newbie like me

EDIT: I have GP5 cracked, with RSE, it's win.
FYI, I've been working on that same exact song, Laid To Rest. :P

It's still a little tough but I have the intro partway down, I just need to work on fingering it right.

(Eeeeew. That made my guitar sound like a slut.)
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
FYI, I've been working on that same exact song, Laid To Rest. :P

It's still a little tough but I have the intro partway down, I just need to work on fingering it right.

(Eeeeew. That made my guitar sound like a slut.)

Lol, jsut get the opening riff down. The Pinch Harmonics, I'll admit, are easy to me. I know people who play for a few years (maybe noobs, don't really know them IRL), say they hate how hard they are. But again, who am I to know if I'm doing them right :P

These last few months, I haven't done anything on my level, just messing around a bit, and I feel like I got to find a song challenging, but not too challenging.

When I really want to learn a song, I practice the riff I think's hard for 10 minutes straight. Then it feels so much easier to do.
I've been messing around with drop d power chords for the past several months. I'm just gonna start back from basics and work my way up, and actually pay ATTENTION to the lessons this time. :P

Thanks for the help, goin' to bed now. Night guys.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
I've been messing around with drop d power chords for the past several months. I'm just gonna start back from basics and work my way up, and actually pay ATTENTION to the lessons this time. :P

Thanks for the help, goin' to bed now. Night guys.

How long you been playing? Start back at basics? What didn't you go over? You got to, learn chords and stuff, don't forget that. I'm going to start learning scales, like major, minor, lydian, aeollian (think it's spelled that way :?), ect ect.

A great guitar player, can't jsut know how to play tabs, and that's it.

Also, I'm learning Holy Wars, but no WAY IN HELL, will I be able to pull of the solo.

oh, also, cya. night.
(sorry if what am saying ijhas bin covered eyes ache reading the whole thing lol)

Could you maybe be fooling yourself? I dont mean in a bad way I mean confidence ,,, I've learnt parts of a few songs from tabs and they just didnt seem right ,,, then i recorded myself and it sounded fine ,,,, just a thought :p lol
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC