Page 1 of 3
This was a post by Hardin on the Bass Forum talking about how bass is the least important part if the band.

I understand that a bass provides a backing to the rythmn section, but honestly most of the time I never hear the bass in songs. Bass players in 90% of rock bands basically are just 'lip-synching' with their basses the volumes are usually turned down. Honestly if anything the bass just gets in the way of the guitar. I mean, every other instrument is integral to the band, but the bass is kind of a complimentary thing. A good bassist (lol which there aren't very many of because most people with talent play electric guitar) can add a little bit to the band, but if they start to take the spotlight off the guitar than they should just be shot.

I know this might be controversial, but I just need a place to vent. Let's be honest here: bass just really isnt very important. If anything you can just use pedal bass and get rid of the bass player all together. Either that or just jack up the bass knob on the guitar amp.

Good day, I hope for some intelligent discussion.

Do the rest of you guitarist think this? Since I am a bassist and obviously disagree with this, I want to know what you guys think.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
I dare that person to have a band practice without a bassist, it feels really empty.

and clearly he doesn't listen to very good music.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I think that bass is definitely a crucial part of a band. In some styles of music, less crucial than others, but for the most part, I don't agree with this kid.

EDIT: I love the avatar ^
Quote by mr.cheese..
Now I've got it! Masturbate in the mud while smoking weed!

Quote by darkstar2466
Meaning is not absolute.
No, that's wrong... Good bass lines often add a LOT to a song. Having an extra string helps a lot, too, I've found (i.e. 5 strings if the guitarist plays 6, 6 strings if the guitarist plays 7), because they can make some octave leaps which gives them more space to play around in. If he thinks bass should just be there in the background and never be heard, he can't have heard any bands with good bassists.
I'm a communist. Really.
That's retarted. Do you think the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Sabbath, Mudvayne, Korn, and Muse would be the same without their bassists?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
without cliff metallica wouldnt be legends

James: i dont know notes on my guitar
Cliff: learn your theory. n00b

bass = important

gutiarists are so vain so you need the bass players modesty to balance it out

thats why i play guitar
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
Bass is important, some genres more than others, but that is just an ignorant person insulting bassists. I used to play bass, but switched to guitar cause it's more fun (to me). In most metal, it's not very important, but otherwise, it just feels empty.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by jetfuel495
bass is really ****in important. only if the bassist is good though. if the bassist is just copying the guitarist then theres no reason for them. but if hes good, then pump that **** up

Even if he does that he's still important to fill up the sound. Why do you think Jack White detunes his guitar so much to get a bassy sound?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Most bands these days you can barely ever hear the bass. But I would never make a band without bass. Atleast bass beats keyboard lol.
Bass is completely integral to a band. Even if it's just copying the guitar. Bass is what you feel. If you go to a show, the bass is what makes you want to dance. I'd rather listen to a bass/drum combo than a guitar/drum combo, in a live situation, at least.
[SIZE=
the majority of the time you don't hear the bass, at least without listening for it. But you'd notice when it's gone. if you've ever had the bassist stop in the middle a song you'd know what i mean.
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
So you came to the Electric Guitar forum to get backup?
No we guitarists hate bass players!
Seriously the guy is full of it. Just ignore crap like that. No one who has ever played in a decent band puts bass players down. Music is not a competition (unless you are competing for a job) so the idea a bass player takes away from guitarists is utter nonsense.
Quote by evening_crow
That's retarted. Do you think the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Sabbath, Mudvayne, Korn, and Muse would be the same without their bassists?

and zeppelin, Heartbreaker was a john paul jones riff
ok im into metal (metallica, megadeth, death, morbid angel, opeth, celtic frost, etc.) and ive been playing guitar for 1 1/2 years now... ive learned a lot but im still a beginner all the way but i know enough to know this guy is a stupid jackass... i can hear bass clearly in almost all songs.... bass is just as important as guitar or vocalist.. ever heard of a band without a bassist? no (and if u have then it was a very gay band lol)...... omg cliff burton (rip), steve digorgio, geezer butler.... these people were gods lol ... i respect them as much as kirk hammett, jimmy page, chuck schuldiner, jimi hendrix, etc. and i dont even play bass... anyways, good luck playing bass, just ignore jackasses...blow up there heads with bass at 10 lol
whoever typed that doesnt know crap. im sure the majority of ppl on UG cud go on for hours about excellent bass players (my favorite being Geddy Lee)
Bass is very important. Just listen to the Chili Peppers. They're nothing without Flea. If bass is so unimportant, why does every band have one?
in my opinion Bass is the Soul of a band. and if you take that soul out of the band its gonna be lifeless and its gonna be boring!
Quote by kirkhammett09
ok im into metal (metallica, megadeth, death, morbid angel, opeth, celtic frost, etc.) and ive been playing guitar for 1 1/2 years now... ive learned a lot but im still a beginner all the way but i know enough to know this guy is a stupid jackass... i can hear bass clearly in almost all songs.... bass is just as important as guitar or vocalist.. ever heard of a band without a bassist? no (and if u have then it was a very gay band lol)...... omg cliff burton (rip), steve digorgio, geezer butler.... these people were gods lol ... i respect them as much as kirk hammett, jimmy page, chuck schuldiner, jimi hendrix, etc. and i dont even play bass... anyways, good luck playing bass, just ignore jackasses...blow up there heads with bass at 10 lol

That hurt to read.

Anyways, bass is ****ing important! Iron Maiden? The Chili Peppers? Without bass, neither of these bands would be around. Seriously. And the entire genre of funk probably wouldn't exist.
90 percent of rock bassists are just "lip-synching" the guitar line? What kind of bull**** is that? Perhaps if one's knowledge of Rock music is relegated just to the "bad" half of the genre that would be true. The dude just seems bitter about something. Maybe his bassist did something to shatter his ego.
I disagree. In metal, bass adds a heavy back up to the lead guitars. This guy's a n00b!
(by the way, i'm not a bassist)
i play guitar, but bass is the heartbeat in the band. the drummer listens to the bass, the bass sets the beat and the groove, and guitar expands on that.

Go tuba!
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
even if u listen to bands like green day and other pop/punk bands where bass isnt so prominent, its still an important part of the band.

^o yea, to dude above me, sry to disagree, but bass listens to drums
saying that bass isnt important is like saying rhythm in music isnt important. its just crazy.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
Quote by JWD192005
he probably molests himself to My Chemical Romance every night

HA HA HA!!
Bass guitars can add a lot of life to music. But a lot of bands dont have good bass guitarists and as a result they sound useless. Good bass lines make music sooo much better. Black Sabbth, RHCP, Led Zeppelin are some bands that have amazing bass lines. In most of the newer bands, the bassist should be shot because they suck balls.
bass is very important especially in rock bands. like metallica,godsmack, and disturbed just wouldnt be the same without one
There are many, many bands with bass and no guitar players. There are very, very few bands with guitar and no bass... 'nuff said.
people can't hear the bass because it's at lower frequencies, the human ear can't pick them all up. that's why guitarists, in general, go up to 100 watts for their amp whereas bassists go up to around 400 watts.
AILD didn't have a bass for alot of their recordings... and i love aild... so bass is just icing on the cake(with metal core anyways)
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
This was a post by Hardin on the Bass Forum talking about how bass is the least important part if the band.

I understand that a bass provides a backing to the rythmn section, but honestly most of the time I never hear the bass in songs. Bass players in 90% of rock bands basically are just 'lip-synching' with their basses the volumes are usually turned down. Honestly if anything the bass just gets in the way of the guitar. I mean, every other instrument is integral to the band, but the bass is kind of a complimentary thing. A good bassist (lol which there aren't very many of because most people with talent play electric guitar) can add a little bit to the band, but if they start to take the spotlight off the guitar than they should just be shot.

I know this might be controversial, but I just need a place to vent. Let's be honest here: bass just really isnt very important. If anything you can just use pedal bass and get rid of the bass player all together. Either that or just jack up the bass knob on the guitar amp.

Good day, I hope for some intelligent discussion.

Do the rest of you guitarist think this? Since I am a bassist and obviously disagree with this, I want to know what you guys think.

Wow. Ok, so this guy is a TOTAL idiot. Has he not heard of Billy Sheehan? Steve DiGiorgio? Victor Wooten? Get the **** out. Those dudes would play circles around him and only on 4 strings.

And the bass IS important. When analyzing chords, it's the BASS you look at to know what chords are being played as well as what inversion. It's obvious that dip**** isn't well versed in his theory. I advise he go brush up.

EDIT: Also, in a lot of cases, the bass is what keeps the tempo in the band, not the drums. This usually occurs in Jazz.
Last edited by Vittu0666 at Oct 15, 2007,
I find bass actually quite important to most bands, but in quite a few bands today, you can't really hear them. Though some bands manage without a bass (The Doors, Dethklok), I still think they're an important part of the band. (And yes, I realize the Doors DO have a bassline.)
Quote by mrmarc772
AILD didn't have a bass for alot of their recordings... and i love aild... so bass is just icing on the cake(with metal core anyways)

They always had a bass. Before Cliff they would just record it themselves... I think. At any case I do agree that many bands like AILD ignore bass in their recordings. If you go to their live shows you are kinda caught off gaurd because then its like Wow I can here the bass. Bands like He Is Legend to me would be crap without the bass.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
LMFAO.

Dude.

Mudshovel VS Icky Thump.

Bass isn't important. Ha'. I don't even play bass and that's offensive. Noob.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Page 1 of 3