i can't stand assholes who tell me people who play bass with a pick suck. there are certain sounds you just can't get if you're fingerpicking or whatever the hell you call it.
Fingerpicking > using a pick.

I'm a guitarist, but all my favourite bassists use fingerpicking. It looks cooler and sounds better (In my opinion. Don't get angry)
I agree, i can't stand bass elitists that look down on people who use a pick. When i first started to play bass i'll never forget the first bass elitist i taked to.

Him: so what can you play
me: *says some song he never heard off*
him: never heard of that
me: ok lemme play it *pulls out a pick*
him: you play with pick, ok *walks off*

i liked the pick better
IMO it sounds better. I don't play bass, but I can see, or hear rather, what you mean when you say you can't get certain sounds out of only fingerpicking.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
i prefer fingerpicking, as it is more versitale, but using a pick isn't necessarily bad. it has it's uses, i just don't think it should really be used as a main form.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
idk who said playing with a pick sucks but it depends on what you're playing and like you said what sound you want to get. its good to learn both, i prefer fingerstyle tho because it gives the bass that nice smooth sound that i like.
I prefer finger picking, but Once in a while I use a pick.

There is a lot of difference, Finger style sounds more natural, but Pick you can get some punchy lines goin
Picking definently has more attack to it. I prefer fingers, however most of the music I play is heavy/death metal. Why not just learn both?

EDIT: A lot of "metal" bassists around here use a pick. These are usually the ****ty ones. So, yes I do see a pick (for main form) as a turn off, but I also liked to be proved wrong.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i bet i'm gonna be banned again

you bet right =) nah, youll just get warned

this subject has been posted about several times in the last month, so people in these parts get pissy when someone posts it again....soooo....long story short, use the Search bar to see if its been posted about already before making a post....or else

oh yeah, they dont like "versus" threads here
Last edited by CBurtonIsKing at Oct 15, 2007,
I'm sorry for keeping the fire going, but threadstarter, did you really think you were the first guy to come up with this idea? Why wouldn't you search bar this (and therefore see how ALL these threads end)?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I personally play with my fingers because i love the sound but i also play with a pick for songs that REQUIRE it. songs like "Six Pounder" by Children of Bodom or "Six" by All That Remains or "Nemesis" by Arch Enemy and so on( i could name songs all night.lol) But the point being, its all about preferencebut some songs require picks while otheres dont. Oh,and that story about the Bass Elitist, what an @$$
Quote by Dance_of_Death
I agree, i can't stand bass elitists that look down on people who use a pick. When i first started to play bass i'll never forget the first bass elitist i taked to.

Him: so what can you play
me: *says some song he never heard off*
him: never heard of that
me: ok lemme play it *pulls out a pick*
him: you play with pick, ok *walks off*

i liked the pick better

What? What in the **** are you talking about? What bassist have you met has done that?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
I used to be one of those people like 'oh no, you shudnt use a pick'....yes...yes you should.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. I practice solely at home with my fingers and it has helped me immensley but for my band, considering the sort of things i play, i use a pick.

It depends what you want from your music and what sort of music it is.

This arguement is truely pathetic. Grow up people!