Im using my big Peavey XXX combo that weighs about 70 pounds to play in my schools jazz band at the moment. I would like to get a lighter amp that would also be better for cleans than my Peavey. Would the Epiphone Valve Jr Head and the 112 cab be good for it? I would be running a Metal Muff in front of it probably, as we do a few covers that require distortion, so will it take the pedal well or should I find a better distortion pedal? Also, I know its pretty loud, but Ive only played it once, and I cant remember exactly how loud it got, and I didnt turn it up past about 4 anyway. Would it be able to play a medium sized cafeteria over drums and a brass section? Thanks for any help.
i use a Vjr, sometimes with a metal muff, and 2 1x12 cabs.

it's loud enough for light drumming. maybe a better suited pedal would help as isnt really great for metal tones. and the MM sounds a bit sterile, pushing muddy, with it past it's ideal 2 o'clock.

full band would be pushing it, imo.

i wouldnt spend too much on pedals tho.

id probably go for a 15W tube combo at that point.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
id probably go for a 15W tube combo at that point.

+1

You should be able to find a used Fender Blues Jr., or something similar, for less than the cost of the VJ head and a cab. And it'll be much better not only volume-wise, but portability-wise, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
+1

You should be able to find a used Fender Blues Jr., or something similar, for less than the cost of the VJ head and a cab. And it'll be much better not only volume-wise, but portability-wise, too.

Aye, I'd definitally go tube combo for the best power/portability blend.

Hey, Jenny, I have a Valve Junior and a 2x12"...mod yours any?
actually, no! for some reason, i never took it apart. you ever do anything with urs?

for what i use it for, i thought it was fine. but who knows maybe eventually.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Hey thanks guys. I think Ill check out a used Fender Blues Jr. Are there any other amps that could work out for having nice cleans, meet my volume requirements, and still be somewhat light? Thanks.
Quote by thetoastinator
Hey thanks guys. I think Ill check out a used Fender Blues Jr. Are there any other amps that could work out for having nice cleans, meet my volume requirements, and still be somewhat light? Thanks.

Maybe a Fender Pro Junior? Basically a simpler version of the Blues Junior with fewer controls and a 10" rather than 12" speaker, however the volume difference is negligible, and the 10" gives a bit more top-end. Alot of people believe that the fewer controls make for a purer tone. Worth looking at, it's alot cheaper than the BJ, especially in the UK.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^I haven't compared the amps side by side in well over a year, but if i remember correctly, for whatever reason, i liked the Pro Jrs cleans a little more.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^I haven't compared the amps side by side in well over a year, but if i remember correctly, for whatever reason, i liked the Pro Jrs cleans a little more.
+1. A lot of it is down to having no reverb, afaik, it takes noise and a wee bit of treble in the voicing if a low-quality SS reverb is fitted or fitted wrongly, but there are a good number of great reverbs.

The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^i dont know, can probably do with another hundred in tubes and speaker swap.

doesnt make much sense considering the blues jr is less than a hundred more.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I like the voice of the Pro Jr a lot, too. Another nice amp is the Crate V16. Same price as the Pro Jr., same features as the Blues Jr.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I have a V16 and i couldn't be happier with it. It has a nice clean and the drive is kind of crunchy with good definition.

^+1 on the V16, great choice for you.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
Quote by TNfootballfan62

Same I remember liking the Pro Junior a little more, though it's been a while and I think both amps are great...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I have a V16 and i couldn't be happier with it. It has a nice clean and the drive is kind of crunchy with good definition.

Awesome man. Hey, have you tried the V16 with the Bad Monkey yet? Im wondering if my TS-9 would be able to drive the V16 into the distortion I need. I use a lot of gain, and I would like to be able to have natural tube distortion mixed with a decent overdrive instead of pouring distortion onto the clean channel with a distortion pedal. Guess I need to get myself down to Guitar Center now...
The V16 has plenty of gain on it's own. My son has one and plays a Jekyll & Hyde with it. Sounds awesome. He plays a lot of classic rock, as well as modern alternative stuff. All the gain he needs.

Power enough to stay clean over a drummer, though, too.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
id go for the fender blues junior definately, it will be loud enough , have a good sound , great fender cleans and if you gotta od a good distortion when cranked plus the convienance of having a combo. i own a evj and its a great amp i run it through a 1x12 ( its pretty loud) i modded mine a lot though( the chassis and pots are the only thing stock pretty much) its good if you jamming with a band sans drums or doing a (loud) recording, im actually thinking about getting a attenuator though
Quote by jj1565
actually, no! for some reason, i never took it apart. you ever do anything with urs?

for what i use it for, i thought it was fine. but who knows maybe eventually.

Aye, Iadded a gain switch for a little flexibility (makes for a nice boost, although I havn't wired it to a footswitch...) and spun the chassis around so the side of the case with the grill is the front. Matches my cab without the red. Lovely little amp.
my personal experience with the valve junior is great. i crank the amp with a boss ge-7 in front with a mid-boost curve. great for early van halen sounds. You should look into a diiferent type of small amp for cleans if you are using humbuckers , but if your using single coils you should be fine.