Hello everyone I'm doing a paper for school and wanted to know if anyone knew excatly how the USB guitars pickups worked, if they are magnetic or what not, any help would be great, thanks you
I'd like to know, too. Someone reccomended the Behringer one, to me when I first started guitar. Maybe I'll buy one, if you guys say there good, for recording and taking it to friends house's.
I assume that there's something in the guitar that converts the output of the guitar's pickups into digital bits and sends it into your computer via the USB cable .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Yea, but do they use the standard single coil/humbuckers to do this or a new pickup all together?
Well I believe you can play the guitar has a normal output for an amp, so methinks they are normal pickups.

Try to find one and open up the control cavity. I'm guessing you'd find a circuit board in there?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The guitar is just a regular guitar, the pickups are standard magnetic electric inductance pickups (wire wrapped around magnets). The pickups in the iAXE are probably the same cheap Chinese singles used in other Behringers.
It probably goes from there to an analog to digital converter on a PCB inside the cavity somewhere which outputs through a USB connection.

And here is something interesting for you guys. Instructions for making a guitar with a USB output.
http://machrone.net/usbguitar/

You should look into the science behind something like a nylon string guitar synth, a VG strat, or probably the most technical is Gibsons high tech LP with a piezo, hexaphonic pickups, multiple outs (digital and analog).