Long story short I need something to make my passive pickups active, or a boost in preferably gain or at least volume. My pickups are really close to the strings and still tend to be very weak. If there's a pedal that would be better but I guess it'll have to be some kind of internal thing.

The reason being is that I had to route the body for these pickups so I may as well try and make more use of them. I should also add that I'd prefer it to be cheap. Not quality wise but just not something that would cost as much as a new set of pickups (for obvious reasoning)
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
^lol wut?

To explain it more I installed a set of EMG HZ-707's in my WG587 but the output is really low. Somehow even lower than my strat. I somehow doubt it was the soldering...I'd replace them with the old ones but the thing is the pickup rings won't go back on unless I glue some wood to the sides. Plus I went and lost of of the rings. Too poor to affordf real 707's and these only costed me about $40. They sound good to me but I'd be happy with a lil more output.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Try moving the pickups away form the strings. Putting passive pickups too close makes the sound weak. I don't think you really understand the difference between active and passive pickups as you can't just change one to the other.

Check out a boost for them, EMG makes boost circuits so they should work.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
^ I do understand them to a point. I know there are some onboard electronics you can use to do stuff like this. The reason they are so close is because they were quieter while they were further away. As far as changing one to the other this is where I got the idea:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/acpicokimibo.html

I guess what I'm asking is what are some other ones I should check out or if anyone has experience with these (wether they work or sound good). From what I hear GFS sometimes isn't good.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
The only thing I can tell you is to move them further away a little bit. Putting them close to the string isn't gonnu give you higher output or more volume. But if that doesn't fix it to your tastes then you might look into some boosts.
i hate GuitarFetish.com's preamp units. never get it. their advertisement is total bull****.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Like I said when they were further they still sounded that way moving them close was more or less a temporary solution but it worked. I'll re solder everything and check to see if I did something I shouldn't have. It has 4 wires maybe I stupidly went and wired it in split coil mode if there is one. If that's what happened I'm gonna feel like a huge dumbass.

EC - you were the one I was referring to when I said I heard their stuff sucked. What were you talking about earlier when you said stratoblaster. Link/info?
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
I think I see the problem here.

Passive EMGs, they suck, horrid, very weak pups, you'd probably be better off getting new pickups or something
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by CM_X5
Like I said when they were further they still sounded that way moving them close was more or less a temporary solution but it worked. I'll re solder everything and check to see if I did something I shouldn't have. It has 4 wires maybe I stupidly went and wired it in split coil mode if there is one. If that's what happened I'm gonna feel like a huge dumbass.

EC - you were the one I was referring to when I said I heard their stuff sucked. What were you talking about earlier when you said stratoblaster. Link/info?

stratoblaster is a clean boost unit that's been around on the internet for a while. i made one as a pedal, and i can't imagine how nice it would be if it was in a guitar. it works with strats, since they sound a bit thin. it is unity gain and really transparent when the knob is turned down, but when u turn it up, lots of boost. i love it personally, but i hate the hassle of changing batteries on a strat. taking off strings, take off pickguard, then change the battery.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
EMG Afterburner?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
EMG Afterburner?

Is it something I'd install like any regular pot or is there more to it? I remember someone telling me about this and it looks like it would be good.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Quote by edwardthegreat5
I think I see the problem here.

Passive EMGs, they suck, horrid, very weak pups, you'd probably be better off getting new pickups or something

I said already I can't afford real EMG's atm and I already routed the body so I'm looking for an alternative. Plus they were only $40 and I didn't know anything about them.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Last edited by CM_X5 at Oct 16, 2007,
All you can do is add a preamp to the circuit. They can be made fairly easy but sounds like beyond your skills. There are several available from EMG and Im sure other companies. Ive never looked into them. Have you tried turning the volume up on your effect pedal. There are many ways to boost your signal before it gets to the amp without a massive signal from the guitar itself. Alot cheaper to as Im sure you have some pedals laying around.