well I think the next thing I should do to further my playing is ear training...now I know it far off but I want to get so I can play songs by ear eventually for now I just want to be able to know my basic notes by ear. What would you recommend to accomphlish this? Any programs or other downloads that help with this?
Practice.
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
Quote by bananasislegend
Practice.

I think that's one of those "no ****" answers. No offense, but I seriously doubt that this is the answer he was looking for. Everytime someone starts a new thread asking for help, six or seven guys have to say "practice". They're not idiots; they get that part. He was looking for any thing specific to work on or programs to help out.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Practice...er....
playing along with the stereo? Nothing like playing a game of Spot the Tune with a guitar on your lap. It worked for me anyway.
this may be a silly advice for dome other players but, a good way to train your ear is to tune your guitar by ear...not using tuners...i don't know how long have you been playing,maybe you do tune your guitar by ear,but in the beggining it may sound weird - later on you'll tune your guitar in seconds...
so tune by ear...
i hope this helps.
A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should make you wanna destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs.

SEX, DRUGS AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
^^^123

learn chords/scales/arpeggios/ect
you'll start to listen to songs and be like "hey thats a major 4th that he's playing... and it sounds like it's a G" or something? it just comes to ya as you learn more material,
learning songs and anyalizing them helps too, being like "hey thats a 5th, i've heard something like that in so-and-so song"
this is called relative pitch, where you can hear intervals
(as apposed to perfect pitch where one can name a starting note a or a specific note, i beleive)
I learned to do some stuff by ear by just playing. It just came with my regular playing and practice. Some stuff you may have to focus on, but tuning guitars and some power chords is easy to pick up.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
okay thanks for some help. I think I"m getting near the last of my questions. Sorry for having so many of them but I live in a dirt town in the middle of no where and there is not a single guitar teacher within 2 hours of the town.
Quote by TSelman
I learned to do some stuff by ear by just playing. It just came with my regular playing and practice. Some stuff you may have to focus on, but tuning guitars and some power chords is easy to pick up.

+1
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Functional Ear Trainer is an excellent program I have used with a great deal of success. Plus it's free. Functional Ear Trainer uses what is called relative ear training. It is much faster and more effective in my opinion. Rather than trying to identify a note by its name, relative ear training focuses on the relationship of other notes to a specific note. You don't really care so much about the notes as you care about their relationships. By doing this you are able to better identify chords and progressions. The kicker in this is that when you hear a progression you already know what it is before you know the notes. So when you identify say the root or the fifth (the most common) you have a much easier time filling in the blanks so to speak. By practicing this over time you will also become better at identifying specific notes. Here is the link.

http://www.miles.be/
This might sound stupid, but it works. Sing notes out loud while playing them and try to get your voice to match up with the note you're playing.