i can hit the pinch harmonic on a note but i can never make it "squeal"

its really frustrating me
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
Hint: Bend the **** out of the note. I find the G and B strings being awesome for squeels around the 3rd 5th and 7th frets.
correct postion helps too

have your finger ark directly into the string so ur finger TIP is on the string, and either bend up or down depending on the string
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
i always do bend it, but i have never heard that bending it violently would help...

would a certain string guage help fix that too?
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
every guitar is different really, u have to find the sweet spots on ur guitar, i get some really cool pinch harmonics on the D string form the 3rd fret to the 10, and on the G string pretty much all over it
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Lighter strings and a whammy can do amazing things. Just work at it.
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
Possibly, but a lot of the metal bands that use them have slightly heavier gauged strings, but if you ask me it's whatever your preference is that makes it easier for you. And bending the string violently might not help, but I guess if you get it the harmonic good and don't have a whammy bar and want to to really squeel you go for the super bendy.
Quote by acoginthesystem
Possibly, but a lot of the metal bands that use them have slightly heavier gauged strings, but if you ask me it's whatever your preference is that makes it easier for you. And bending the string violently might not help, but I guess if you get it the harmonic good and don't have a whammy bar and want to to really squeel you go for the super bendy.

EB Skinny Top Heavy Bottom. =]
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
how do you do pinch harmonics??
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
could do with the amp

you need alot of gain, a lot of treble,

notice its harder to do them on your rythm pickup

also... humbuckers, so if you have a strat its harder
hey man yeah i had trouble getting a sqweel out too at first..... if your not a big fan of pantera well sorry but i found this sqweeling lesson video very helpful, dimebag shows you how to pull them off.... but you basically need a double action tremolo to do the wild ones he whips out... but if you dont have one just do like my brother and bend the hell out of the note like up a full two strings or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TpYcA9bSaU
Quote by punk_metal2007
how do you do pinch harmonics??

Are you familiar with regular harmonics? Well, pinch harmonics are the same thing except you are using the thumb of your picking hand. Hold the pick so only a little bit is showing and try to brush the string directly after you pick it (or rather, while you are picking it) with your thumb, just like you do it with your left hand on regular harmonics.

If you want to find out how they work, I think you can use Google image search to see the vibration effects of a pinch harmonic on a string.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by henza_x
could do with the amp

you need alot of gain, a lot of treble,

notice its harder to do them on your rythm pickup

also... humbuckers, so if you have a strat its harder

Not always.

No and no.

not always.

not always.

why state "facts" when you have no basis for them?

You DON'T need a lot of gain to do pinch harmonics. You don't need ANY distortion at all. You DON'T need a lot of treble. You can do them unplugged or with a flat EQ.

Maybe you find it harder because your "rhythm" pickup is lower output, so its harder to hear it?

I have a strat and it's bloody easy to do pinch harmonics on it. It's all about technique. So remember, practice lots, and

IT'S ALL ABOUT TECHNIQUE!