Basically i am looking for a pedal to take my AC30 into higher gain territory. Currently I run the normal and TB channels blended, and I use a Boss GT-8's Marshall preamps to get my distortion tones. My best tones come from the GT-8 run straight into the input, not the effects loop. It is fairly good, but it actually makes my AC30 sound a little grainy/digital at higher gains...which is ridiculous.

My ideal tone is basically somewhere between Mike Einziger who A/B's a Vox and a modded plexi and Matt Bellamy who uses a Diezel but has used Marshalls. Currently on my GT-8 I have 2 separate but very similar patches for them. Either one of the patches can hit this sound fairly well (minus the digital fizz) just switching the pickup selector. I use the neck pickup for Einziger and the bridge for Muse sounds (on a strat).

Here is the setup I'm thinking of:

A/B box for normal/TB which will be the clean/dirty respectively since there the AC30 is not footswitchable.

Clean: I'll use the normal channel fairly low, and run an OD in front of it. Possibly a digitech tonedriver with the drive set very low since that is what Einziger uses for his "gritty" cleans which I absolutely love.

Dirty: I'll crank the top boost, but it will definitely NOT go into the area of gain that I want. Here is where the OD/Dist that I need will be.

I want to know what pedal will get my Vox into higher gain and can get these sounds. Basically a plexi on steriods for Einziger or a cranked DSL for the Muse tone that I like. Right now I'm thinking the Box of Rock since it is as highly touted as it is. Maybe the Fulltone OCD? Anyway, all thoughts would be appreciated.

O and if you want to hear great tone in my opinion the live at red rocks incubus DVD is perfect to hear Einzigers tone.
- Taylor 914ce
- Alvarez AJ60sc 12 string
- Standard Strat (modded)
ocd ftw!
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Maybe a treble booster of some sort? No personal experiance but I hear they can bring out the gain in an AC30.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
u NEED a treble booster.

i can make u one if u like. PM me if ur interested.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
+1 on treble booster

Tried an AC30 with my Brit Master and it was AWESOME!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I hadn't actually heard much about treble boosters. I know this board seems to love the OCD. I really was leaning towards the box of rock from the videos i had seen although the videos are with marshall amps. So a treble booster will be able to get as much distortion as I want? I by no means want to play anything involving metal. Muse can get fairly high gain, though, and Einziger even uses another OD pedal in front of his modded cranked plexi for his dirt.

Edit: i will not be able to crank the master volume on the AC30. This things is so ridiculously loud with the volume at 9 oclock.
- Taylor 914ce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC84DHXRZrM

I found this clip, not owning the amp myself I don't know how reliable it is but it looks like a treble booster would work fairly well. I'm sure someone else can confirm this vid...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
It's kind of hard to hear through the mix, but its a good example anyway.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zhYUVW5N_dk

here is a good example of the muse tone I'm looking for. This one is actually just a little too trebley/harsh for my liking, but its very close. Start at 1:40 ish

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cm3qH89Yr9w&mode=related&search=

To be honest I'm not sure what the AC30 is capable of, but I wouldn't give up its cleans or crunch for anything, but it seems the dirty tone I like is that of a cranked marshall. Maybe I'm asking if it's possible to get a similar tone from the vox?
- Taylor 914ce
Quote by flump
...it seems the dirty tone I like is that of a cranked marshall. Maybe I'm asking if it's possible to get a similar tone from the vox?

I think the AC30 gets fairly Marshall-like on it's own... but not all the way, right?

The Box of Rock will take you beyond that Marshall tone, which may be a good thing. It's one of the things I love about EHX pedals; that the knobs turn further than I'll ever need. But you could probably get what you're looking for with a standard Tubescreamer (I get excellent results with a TS808, with the tone knob dialed heavily towards the treble side), or the OCD as is frequently suggested here.

I think the OD pedal you like best would be fine. Bad Monkey, Box of Rock, whatever.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I think the AC30 gets fairly Marshall-like on it's own... but not all the way, right?

The Box of Rock will take you beyond that Marshall tone, which may be a good thing. It's one of the things I love about EHX pedals; that the knobs turn further than I'll ever need. But you could probably get what you're looking for with a standard Tubescreamer (I get excellent results with a TS808, with the tone knob dialed heavily towards the treble side), or the OCD as is frequently suggested here.

I think the OD pedal you like best would be fine. Bad Monkey, Box of Rock, whatever.

Box of Rock...EHX...Zvex...Ehh....Could it be that Slats has lost his mind? Has he finally made a mistake when it comes to gear!??!?!

It looks like you have a sizeable budget ; perhaps look at Lovepedal Eternity OD, the OCD and the Box of Rock. A treble booster would be nice, in theory, but as to whether it would bring out any sizeable extra gain from the AC30 is questionable.
i considered an OCD and box of rock when i was looking at an OD pedal for my plexi
i chose the OCD
and never looked back
it's perfect
way more amp like than i think the BOR would be responds very well to how hard you hit the strings and whatnot
i don' think the box of rock would do that sence it's a "distortion pedal"
but ihave never tried it
Quote by Don_Humpador
Box of Rock...EHX...Zvex...Ehh....Could it be that Slats has lost his mind? Has he finally made a mistake when it comes to gear!??!?!

I recognize that the Box of Rock is a ZVex pedal, just saying that the idea of the pedal taking him further than he wants to go might be a good thing - like the way a lot of EHX pedals operate, IMHO.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, get a treble boost. I've heard ProCo Rats go amazingly well with AC30's.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Crowther Audio Hotcake: made for AC30s, lots of gain.
Box of rock: Does what it's supposed to do. Plexi in a box with a great boost.
OCD: It's not the all it's cracked up to be on this forum IMO. Especially not with vox amps.
Treble boost: Can't go wrong with an AC30 and treble boost, but most of them don't have all that much gain.
Gaspedals Carb: You'll never hear of one on UG, but I promise you it sounds insane with an AC30. Plus they've got sexy paint.
might want to look at a tech 21 sansamp. it supposedly models the amps without sounding all digital. i think it models a fender, marshall, and mesa.

edit: found it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-SansAmp-GT2-Tube-Amp-Emulator?sku=480208
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣