This product looks awesome for only $400! All that TC Electronic engineering and professional sound design goodness, at a fraction of the price of its pricier bretheren. Any owners care to make comments or comparisons to similar competitive units?
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 16, 2007,
P.S. Don't need distortion (got a Engl preamp). Don't need amp models (getting a cabinet-emulator). Only need what the TC seems to deliver: flange, delay, etc.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Well, I found tons of reviews at Harmony Central. Overall, I'm hearing that this unit truly DOES NOT color your guitar's tone, and is both truly "transparent" and very, very quiet. These are two MOST important points: "transparency," and lack of noise! This may be the only other effects unit I put in my signal chain, other than my Engl preamp, so quiet is a good thing! Plus, it has S/PDIF I/O! How great is that?

However, I'm also hearing about some firmware issues (system freezes/losing patches, etc.) and a few mechanical issues (front panel knobs and buttons needed repair/replacement). Overall, however, it sounds like just what I'm looking for in a rackmount effects unit. Anyway, it sure looks cool, and it'll stack nicely above all my other 1U-high rack gear. And, the price sure is right!

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 16, 2007,
Triple post?

But i've heard good thing about TC electronics stuff.

EDIT: Do you have a power amp if you're running a rack? I know that preamp has a build in 1.5watt power amp, but what about bigger stuff?

Since you're in LA, you could check out that stereo tube Carvin power amp.

Maybe >.>
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Last edited by Sendrith at Oct 16, 2007,
Hi, Sendrith!

Yeah, I just sit here and type to myself, if no one answers! No. No power amp . . . yet! All DI for now (and loving it!). But, I'd sure love to get that new Crate V33H, 33-Watt tube head, and pair it up with that little Marshall 2 x 12 cabinet, the MC212 though. I have it in my sig, so that must mean I'm destined to own it. Someday . . .

I really doubt it is transparent as there is an AD/DA conversion stage. Usually when people refer to 'transparency' they are thinking about treble loss due to capacitance, but AD/DA conversion is not perfect (and here I'm talking about high end studio stuff, let alone a cheap rack multieffect thing). So you will experience tone loss.

I've also heard that the build quality of the G-major is fairly bad. Most common problem is broken knobs.

If you have a parallel effects loop (that is, one with a blend knob) you can run any multi effects unit through it with absolutely no tone loss by setting the unit to 100% wet (or kill dry mode in the G-major) and blend using the knob on your amp.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Yup . . . the reports of the TC's poor build quality on this unit are rampant. But the reports of transparency (I presume, when compared with competitive units on the market), and overall positive comments about the effects in general, corroborate TC Electronic's reputation for quality engineering and excellent sound design in their other, high-end products. Also, I understand the limitations inherent with any given OEM AD/DA, and wouldn't expect a >$1,000, channel-strip quality, AD/DA in such an inexpensive unit.

Thanks for the tip about the 100% wet thing. I'll have to look into that further.

Okay, I just brought home my new TC Electronic G•Major effects processor—and it seems to be everything they said it was, as well as everything they said it wasn't:

Pros:

• Extremely quiet.
• Minimal tone coloration [excellent "transparency"].
• Excellent noise gate.
• Excellent delays.

Cons:

• Pedal-based flangers sound better than the G•Major's built-in flanger.
• Pedal-based phase-shifters sound better than the G•Major's built-in phase-shifters.

I've been playing through the presets for the last three hours, and I really like the G•Major, overall. Most of the presets are subtle, professional-sounding, and not too over-the-top. A few are very unique-sounding and intrigueing. I think I'm willing to give up the richer, pedal-based phase and flange effects, in exchange for this super-quiet, very transparent, multi-fx signal processor. Guess you just can't have everything (well, at least, not for under $400, anyway).

So, I suppose, I'm running the unit serially. I plug my guitar into my Engl E530 preamp, then take the line-outs of the Engl into the G•Major, then take the line-outs of the G•Major into my line mixer.

In a bit more detail: my signal exits my Engl E530 preamp via a pair of unbalanced (but, shielded) cables. The TC unit offers me several, high-quality output options: I can take a line level signal from the G•Major's balanced 1/4" TRS L/R (stereo) outputs, right into my balanced-TRS, line mixer. Or, I can output digitally, and take advantage of the G•Major's S/PDIF digital I/O, and go right into any S/PDIF-equipped USB or Firewire DAW interface.

So, this TC rack-unit is probably a keeper for me. A clean, low-noise, high-SNR, signal-chain is what I'm after—and I've got it with the G•Major. For the price (I got it for $369, plus tax, at Guitar Center Hollywood, today), it kicks ass!

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 17, 2007,
Okay, the "Detuned" preset is awesome. Both chords and leads, when played using this preset, sound thick and dimensional, without sounding too weird. I'm done! I'm keeping this "G•unit" for sure! Awesome sounds! Super-quiet! Awesome noise gate! Under $400 USD! It's the perfect multi-effects, rack-unit for DI applications!

The results of the G•Major, when paired with a high-gain, super-metal sounding preamp, like the Engl E530, makes for an incredibly clean, tight, effects package—a super-sounding, one-two aural punch, with both balls and finesse!

Regarding xifr's AD/DA comments—a couple excerpts from Harmony Central's reviews, posted about the TC Electronic G•Major:

"I was tempted to upgrade to a G-Force, but after reading [that] the [AD/DA] converters and processing power in the G-major are actually better, I left it at that." —anonymous Harmony Central review

"The AD/DA converters are good, [are] better than Roland's, [and as good as] the new Lexicon stuff . . . "—anonymous Harmony Central review

Can you say, "GEAR HONEYMOON?!?!?"

I don't know if you have multiple personalities, but it seems like you're answering your own questions. Do you even have any questions at this point? In the future, use the edit button to avoid such misunderstandings.

The G-Major is a quality unit, but you'll have to hear it yourself to know if it's for you or not.
What's wrong with that? I'm narrating my experience with the unit. I wish more threads described their gear in more detail. Must every post include a question to be a valid part of the thread? What misunderstandings did you or I have? Which posts would you advise me to edit?

I realize you have a lot of credibility here, and have contributed a lot of valuable content to the site. But I have to say, that last post seemed a bit condescending. Tell a mod to delete this post if you want. Or I'll "edit" it out later, if so advised.

You don't have to change anything, but you could have put a large amount of your content into one or two posts instead of 11 of them
Well, I don't know what all the urgency is to condense posts here is all of a sudden. I frequent a lot of different forums, and this is a first for this one. I know this forum is a bit more diciplined than many others, and for good reason. It's an incredibly well-run, well-organized forum with a lot of high-value content. But the posts in this thread were written over a period of several days.

Also, in addition to being segregated by time, my individual comments often address a slightly different aspect of the topic, or are the result of a specific reply to another member's post. Personally, I like a bit of "space" between posts, visually. I just think it's easier to read.

Now, if I were a new user asking all kinds of WOT questions, I would understand the lecturing. But, please . . . the content is there. Grammar, spelling, punctuation, are intact. I typically do a search before starting a new thread (try searching "TC G Major"). I made multiple, on-topic posts. I just did it over a period of several days. Is it really that annoying to anyone?

Quote by LEVEL4
Is it really that annoying to anyone?

Yes, and if your idea is to 'commentate' on your purchase of the G-Major, write a review on here or Harmony Central, instead of clogging the arteries of UG with unncessary posts. People will listen and think about what you say more if you post a legitimate, structured review - not several posts after one another, which you have still since failed to collaborate.
Collaborate? You mean, "consolidate?" You're actually telling me to consolidate all these posts into one post?

Okay. I get it. I'll try to do better next time. Now let's have a mod close this f*cker down.

Nope, collaborate. Put together. Edit. Tidy up. Collect.

Consolidating is when you want to put your finances in one easy, hassle free monthly payment courtesy of Loanz Directz0rz.
I think he's correct in his definition. people collaborate with eachother to put things together, like you would have to collaborate with him to clean it up. He is correct in the term for consolidation, as in data consolidation, unless it has a different meaning in the UK.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
I think he's correct in his definition. people collaborate with eachother to put things together, like you would have to collaborate with him to clean it up. He is correct in the term for consolidation, as in data consolidation, unless it has a different meaning in the UK.

'He' ?
Quote by Don_Humpador
Nope, collaborate. Put together. Edit. Tidy up. Collect.

Nope. "Collaborate: to work jointly with others or together especially in an intellectual endeavor." Maybe you mean, "collate."

Holy ****, I don't think I've ever seen someone on a forum get into such a long conversation with them self.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by LEVEL4
I realize you have a lot of credibility here, and have contributed a lot of valuable content to the site. But I have to say, that last post seemed a bit condescending. Tell a mod to delete this post if you want. Or I'll "edit" it out later, if so advised.

Not condescending at all...there's no problem with you making a thread like this, it just helps to have some direction and maybe even a bit of a mission statement from the beginning. Your first two posts pose questions, and after that, you pretty much just start rambling. No harm, no foul...I see you've made a second thread on the subject. I'm reporting this thread...it needs to be closed anyway.
Quote by LEVEL4
Nope. "Collaborate: to work jointly with others or together especially in an intellectual endeavor." Maybe you mean, "collate."

Hah, you arse.

I guess it doesn't matter ; but depending on the context, to collaborate several pieces of work (i.e. your posts) into one place is a perfectly legitimate way to get the point across.
Man I just got a really weird feeling of deja vu, I thought for a second I was reading an ancient thread, but then realized the posts were after mine o.O

Quote by LEVEL4
Okay. I get it. I'll try to do better next time. Now let's have a mod close this f*cker down.

Done
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure