My daughter wants a guitar, a bass at that. she has never had lessons or played before. Is that the wrong guitar for her to start out with? Any help would be wonderful.

Thank you.
No, a bass is fine for her to start out with. There is no "sequential order" regarding guitars and bass guitars. Indeed, it's quite a good thing she wants to play bass instead of guitar. It means she's not entering an overly saturated market. =]
I think the bass guitar is great if she wants that one to start out with. She'll have strong fingers if she ever gets around to guitar haha.
It should be fine.

However, keep in mind that girls have smaller hands compared to boys, and bass requires some heavy fretting, which could be a little harder to learn on.
Spiral Out
Quote by HumanitysDeath
It should be fine.

However, keep in mind that girls have smaller hands compared to boys, and bass requires some heavy fretting, which could be a little harder to learn on.

+1, but bass is very elemental. For the most part, she'll advance quickly because she'll be learning root notes and figures that don't involve using too many strings. I know when I first started guitar, open chords were really frustrating.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Thank you everyone who posted, you've helped me out a lot. I'm pretty sure I'll be needing to post on here again in the near future.

Thanks again.
The world needs more good bass players.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown