Quote by SongsNeverDie
jesus christ they hurt.

good, than you know they are alive!

*edit* you can't really expect your fingers to be able to hit metal strings and survive in one piece yet . Takes a time for them to get a thick skin. But dude: just play, take painkillers or something. And play as much as you can until you drop halfdeath to the ground.

The more you play, the sooner your fingers won't hurt!!
What that guy said, minus the painkillers.
You don't need drugs to keep at it.

Not painkillers anyway, if you're going to play drugged do something exciting.
Metal Head

One Day, We'll All Go Into The Water.
Go, Into The Water, Live There, Die There.

Gear
Squier Stratocaster
Jackson Pro Series Kelly
Jackson Dinky Sustaniac
Roland Cube 60
Peavey Triple XXX Stack
ive played with a pick forever. (used to be a guitarist)

im just trying to broaden my horizons.
Quote by SongsNeverDie
it seems like pick playing has a cleaner sound though.

... Its bass...
Metal Head

One Day, We'll All Go Into The Water.
Go, Into The Water, Live There, Die There.

Gear
Squier Stratocaster
Jackson Pro Series Kelly
Jackson Dinky Sustaniac
Roland Cube 60
Peavey Triple XXX Stack
you will get the best tone if you can play clearly with fingerstyle
meaning using your fingers articulately to get more of a 'pick sound'
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
oh god, another argument about "Finger or pick". In the end, everyone has decided that it is personal preference. Each one has it's own ups and downs. Finger picking gives you a more open, round, thick sound. Picking gives you a really strong attack and a very articulated pointed sound. Either one is good, it just depends on the sound you want. With picking though, its a little tougher to switch between normal playing and add in a few multi finger taps or switch to slap style easily. (*note: Not impossible...just not easy*). But it is good to get good at both ways so that you can be more versatile and accurate as a player.
I remember my first bass... The strings were so old it wasn't funny and I kept playin even though it sounded like crap but oh man did my fingers hurt after like even 5 minutes of playing. It was rough time for a while lol
Quote by Ryan Nias
... Its bass...

so?? when you go sweeping or something: you really need a pick. Cleaner sound can be usefull on the higher frets/snares.
Quote by Uglybassist
I remember my first bass... The strings were so old it wasn't funny and I kept playin even though it sounded like crap but oh man did my fingers hurt after like even 5 minutes of playing. It was rough time for a while lol

why didn't you change the strings?
Finger pain never ends in the learning process, first it's playing with your fingers and the wonderful blisters it brings, then you'll tear the hell out of your thumb learning to slap, then you'll somehow destroy any calluses and get blisters on your fretting hand when you learn to tap... though not neccessarily in that order I guess. Hooray for new playing techniques, if it doesn't hurt you haven't learned anything!

well I'm gonna go rap my knuckles on my bass, it sounds bad, but if it hurts a lot it must be a good playing technique.
To get a similar pick tone with your fingers, jack your gain up 30 degrees or so.

Just thought I would add that in, not much else anybody can say that hasn't already been.
WHY DOES EVERY SINGLE TOPIC THAT HAS TO DO WITH PICKS OR FINGERS END UP ARGUING OVER WHICH IS BETTER?

Its stupid. Really who cares?

I think playing with fingers is much better though
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Quote by recondite11
so?? when you go sweeping or something: you really need a pick. Cleaner sound can be usefull on the higher frets/snares.

Stuff that. I sweep with either my index finger or my thumb.

And stick with it. If it gets really painful, stop for an hour, if not that day before playing again. Slighlty slower than going non-stop, but far less painful than playing too much too early and blistering, then playing even more. And popping them, and still trying to play.

You get the point
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Stuff that. I sweep with either my index finger or my thumb.

And stick with it. If it gets really painful, stop for an hour, if not that day before playing again. Slighlty slower than going non-stop, but far less painful than playing too much too early and blistering, then playing even more. And popping them, and still trying to play.

You get the point

for tone with sweeping I like a pick better, but that is my own choice
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
WHY DOES EVERY SINGLE TOPIC THAT HAS TO DO WITH PICKS OR FINGERS END UP ARGUING OVER WHICH IS BETTER?

Its stupid. Really who cares?

I think playing with fingers is much better though

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
i hate picks...i never use them...the first week of me playing...i learned paralell universe...and after a week of playing, i had a killer blister...so i just put 2 bandades around it to stop the pain when i hit the string...and kept jamming...u need to grow up man
it just depends on what ur playin, if ur playing a really fast song or chords , u want a pick, if ur playin a song with like notes on differents strings frequently u want fingers, at least for me thats how it is
Quote by johnwh92
it just depends on what ur playin, if ur playing a really fast song or chords , u want a pick, if ur playin a song with like notes on differents strings frequently u want fingers, at least for me thats how it is

The guy has probably died of old age by now dude...
My fingers have never really hurt for any technique. Plain fingerstyle, slapping, and tapping all came naturally and without finger pain. I suppose that's a good thing but I feel kind of left out when everyone talks about that
good job man. this will open a whole new world of bass playing for you...soon you'll be on to slapping and tapping.

just keep in mind that it'll hurt at first but in a few months you'll be playing and not even knowing your fingers are hitting the strings. caluses(sp?) build character.

oh and on the pick vs fingers. what ever you want. it's bass either way. just don't play unison riffs. :]
Quote by soadguitarfan
finger bass is way more badass, man. and more useful in the end.

nah man playing with your dick is badass.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
nah man playing with your dick is badass.

I've gotta agree. It's really freaking difficult, however, and you have to have two separate mindsets for flaccid and erect.
In the erect vs floppy debate...it nearly always comes down to erect. Let's face it...playing flaccid can make an utter mess. Not to mention, the tone for erect is so much more rich and sharp.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I think I was born to play bass. My fingers never hurt when I started.

The only time I got calluses was recently when I had Steve Harris Flats and did uber slides with my fretting hand.
Yes it hurts, but be a man and ignore the pain and continue playing. Unless of course your fingers get blood red and are about of get cut up. You don't want to stain your bass with blood and rust your strings don't you?
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Fingers really are the best way ta go. yeah a pick makes an interesting noise, but fingers are much more versitile, and useful. if you don't wanna sound all bluesy, turn yer tone way down.
ya, the fingers hurt like a bitch at first. i remember learning number of the beast lol, my fingers hurt so bad after that. well, they pretty much got blisters with almost any iron maiden song
Keep playing with your fingers but don't abandon your pick....I regret not practicing with a pick since you can get such a nice clean sound out of it......Fingers feel more natural to me....I shouldn't feed the fire so I'll stop talking abouti it...

Just keep playing....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls