I have a neck with a regular plastic LP style nut. The guitar it's on is routed for a floyd rose trem but the current one in it sucks. I was hoping to get a real Floyd Rose in there at some point but then there's no locking nut so that's where I'm stuck.

What will happen if I install the locking nut behind the plastic one? I've seen it done before but don't know if it worked the way it should.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
The friction by the strings on the plastic nut will still make it go out of tune. The locking nut will help but there may be a slight difference but nothing major. Im pretty sure kahler trems have a locking nut behind a normal one and they are pretty good so it should work.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
You get an R4 Locking Nut for an LP or a Kahler Locking Nut which is designed to go behind the standard nut.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Ok, how about if I somehow made a small riser that's angled and everthing to the same height as the fretboard and installed the locking nut there. I'd obviously try to make it go the same place the old one was for intonations sake but is this just a waste of time/stupid idea or should I stick to the locking nut behind the plastic one?
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
I've heard good things about the behind-the-nut Kahler ones.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
What's wrong with just getting rid of the plastic nut all together and replacing it with a locking nut? And what do you mean by "LP style" plastic nut?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
On a strat there's the nut in the fretboard, whereas Les Pauls and acoustics have the nut at the very edge of the fretboard. That last one. How do you get rid of the old one and replace it with a locking nut?
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP