hey, so the band that i am in is going to record some tracks next week in the half term holiday at our drummers parents friends house if that makes sense!
Basically we have 2 songs fully and another which just needs lyrics and basically my question is 3 a good amount of songs to upload to our myspace or to burn to disc to send to promoters and maybe sell at gigs for like £2??

we have unfinished songs but is 3 a realistic goal seeing that we only have 1 day to record them in?

and also any other other studio tips that you think could help me would be great

Cheers sgboy666
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Wow it would take me longer than a week just to get drum sounds right, but I guess if your just doing a small recording it should be fine. Are you doing the recording yourself or is somebody else doing it?
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
well the guys who studio it is will be there so i think he will ne helping us but i dont actually that much about him.
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
well think of it this way, the way i like to record and get a good sound, is too make a backing track (just stick a few mics around the room it can be **** aslong as you can hear whats goin on) for each song then get "tracking" each instrument just playing along with the backing track you know, if it helps the lead guitarist dont play the solos so it doesnt throw you off. that or play to a click track (metronome) aslong as everyone knows EXACTLY where the cues are. record everything one by one (unless he has the equipment to do a live recording) and then leave him with the audio files to mix and master and he'll get back to you and give you them.

also a standard demo cd has 4 songs on it so if you do a cover thats heaps different from the original and sounds awesome go for it also 4 songs fit on your myspace nicer.

1 day is a short amount of time to record songs.. but if you have say 6 hours.. you have say half hour to run through all the songs, half hour to make backing music (that you play with, or you can skip it and use a metronome/clicktrack) then an hour on each song where everyone does their thing. ofcourse if you record everyone playing together (not the best quality if it is a home studio and doesnt have proper isolation) then its much quicker.. then the last hour you can go over it and tell the guy what you want from your sound etc.

also if you do play by yourself... pretend your playing with the band. put all the emotion and passion into the recording that you can. it makes a difference.
Last edited by doommaker at Oct 16, 2007,
Just have the drums and bass play along first. Then add the rest of it. Make sure you record separately because its much easier to adjust the final mix when you can simply adjust each instrument/track.

3 songs is good, but see if you can make another song to make it 4 (even if its a cover) since you're going to be selling it at gigs people will think $2 for 4 songs not a bad price.
Last edited by OpposingForce at Oct 16, 2007,
ok thanks for the advice guys
I appreciate it
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C