I am starting a 5150 project to give as a x-mas gift. What is the best paint to use for this project? I want a factory finish (high gloss), not a relic'd finish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
~ the early bird gets the worm, but its the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese...
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
umm, try some sort of vinyl maybe, and then finish it over

i dont know how it can be done with paint

I think he's talking about the guitar and not the amp.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I am talking about Eddie Van Halen's 5150 guitar (the red, black and white striped).

Thanks!
yeah iwas thinking colored white red and black vinyl, stick it van halen style, and then you put finish on it?
Ask for advice at your local hardware or paint store; Eddie wasn't too picky himself (and quite sloppy) so as long as all the paints you choose match (so that they won't react with each other and mess up your finish).

-prime the body

-paint it black, tape some stripes and paint it white (make sure the white covers the black completely, you don't want to see it through the white).

or

-paint it white, mask everything except a few stripes and paint it black

-remove the tape and you should have a white guitar with a few black stripes

-tape the black stripes again and tape mark a few white ones with tape too

-spray it red

-remove the tape and your colours are done

-clearcoat it

Look around on the web for the exact painting instructions, but this is roughly what you'll want to do.

Also, look around for a company or garage that repaints cars, they'll probably achieve better results than you and they're not too expensive.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 16, 2007,
I think I got a handle on how to stripe it, I am looking for what type of paint works best. Eddie just used Schwin bicycle paint, but they don't make that type of paint anymore.
Quote by scottybharris
I think I got a handle on how to stripe it, I am looking for what type of paint works best. Eddie just used Schwin bicycle paint, but they don't make that type of paint anymore.

Ask your local hardware/paint store for a primer/paint/clearcoat combination which is suitable for wood.